All MBPs will lose optical drive within a few months

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drjsway, Oct 28, 2010.

1. drjsway macrumors 6502a

We all know now that the MBPs will eventually lose the optical drive but I'm willing to bet my life that it will happen on the next refresh in as little as a couple of months.

The evidence?

Steve Jobs introduced the new MBA as having 7 hours of battery life but stressed the they were using much better, less generous battery tests so the jump is not from 5 to 7 hours, it's really DOUBLE the life of the old MBA.

Anandtech confirms this:

[​IMG]

Notice how all the other numbers are close to Apple's advertised numbers. The 13" MBP comes in at 9:45 and is advertised at 10. The 15" MBP comes in at 8:11 and is advertised at 8-9 hours.

This shows that Anand's battery test is very similar to Apple's old test. Had the MBA used the old test, it could've been advertised at having 11.5 hours of battery.

I applaud Apple for using new battery tests that reflects real world usage but at the same time, they will look incredibly stupid if the new 13" MBP is advertised as having 6.5 hours of battery, a 35% drop. Apple would never do that. They would've only switched to new battery tests if they were confident they could at least match their old numbers on the new test.

So where would the new 13" MBP magically find 35% more battery? The only way would be to remove the optical drive. If people absolutely want one, they will tell them to buy a SuperDrive.

It fits in perfectly with Apple's MO.

1. They are famously known for removing technology the public still finds necessary (floppy, flash, etc.).
    2. They refuse to support blu-ray because they believe optical media is obsolete.
    3. They market the MBA as "the next generation of MacBooks" and have said "it's the future" and "all notebooks will look like this". Well, if the MBA is the next generation, why would anyone buy something last generation?

Apple will never release another notebook with a built-in optical drive. I'm sure of it.

2. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

It does look like things are heading that way, but I dont feel the optical drive is going away yet. The new MBA right now is a good transition for that, and when the MBPs do finally remove the drive, I bet apple with still have a BTO option for it.

3. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt it. The macbook air is meant to be a slim/small device, leaving out all but what is absolutely required to make the machine run. The MacBook Pro on the other hand has the space for the optical drive. I could see apple in the future though giving an option to use that space for an extra HDD.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

"Within a few months" is too quick. Within 18-24 months I can get on board with.

I think that the cost of SSDs would make maintaining current pricing for MBPs impossible right now.

5. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Answer me this: how will Apple retain the MBP 8-9/10 hours battery figures on the new battery test? Or do you really think Apple will advertise that the MBP suddenly lost 35% of its battery life?

At the next refresh, Apple must bump the battery life 35% or advertise lower numbers.

I never said it would go all SSD, only removal of optical drive.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Better batteries? Spin? I don't know.

I really don't see Apple trading profit for longer battery life. If they do what you say, they'll have to raise prices.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's all marketing. They can basically advertize whatever they want. They don't have to increase the battery power, they will likely improve the batteries slightly, while maintaining the same number.

8. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only way to achieve better battery is use the space they gain from removing the optical drive. Apple has not suddenly revolutionized battery technology.

Did you understand my original post? In order to achieve the SAME numbers, they need to increase battery life 35% because they are now using different tests.

Why would they raise prices? All I'm saying is remove the optical drive and use the space for battery.

Plus, even without the optical drive, the MBP is hardly a MBA. MBP still has: more ports, full speed CPU, discreet GPU, etc.

9. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple made such a big deal about developing "better battery tests" and how the rest of the industry has exaggerated numbers. Battery tests within companies should be standardized.

If it's about marketing, why didn't they keep the old test and advertise the new MBA as having up to 11.5 hours?

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, that's why the word "Spin?" is in there. Read my post.

No I didn't understand your OP. Derrr. :rolleyes:

SSDs cost more than HDDs. In order for Apple to stick an SDD into a MBP, they would either have to raise prices to accommodate the higher cost or keep the same pricing and have a lower profit margin. Corporations don't like to lose profit. Again: I really don't see Apple trading profit for longer battery life.

11. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obviously you didn't understand my OP because I never mentioned SSDs at all.

12. heywoodja macrumors member

heywoodja

Hmmmmm

Here's an idea, why don't we play the wait and see game instead of coming off sounding like a know-it all pr!ck. Apple builds computers and devices and we the consumers choose to buy them or not to buy them. It's that simple. I tend to believe the people designing the Apple products are just a tad bit smarter than you. Oh wait, I just gave you too much credit. :D

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Wait a sec: I reread and reread your OP, and now I finally see what you're saying. I thought you were talking about HDDs (Hard Drives). You could have clarified earlier (instead of just saying that I didn't understand), but my bad.

Now that I see what you're saying...... I still don't see it happening so quickly. It might provide more room for batteries, but I still don't see it happening in 2-3 months. Too much major software can only be installed via the optical drive..... Apple would have to get those companies on board before making such a big change.

Perhaps in the next 12-18 months, but not 2-3 months from now.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Bet your Life? ... that is a little extreme

It may be too early for the MBP to lose this device yet ... I just downloaded Office for Mac 2011 - there was an option for having the Disc shipped for $15

There is still a ton of money to be made from DVDs still ... and USB drives are too expensive to replace a Disc yet.

It has been removed from the MBA for the same reason they are not in Netbooks ... reduced size and portability ... not because it has become obsolete.

The MBP is still a Premium full Laptop and you will see the Optical drive in it for at least 2-3 more years not just a couple of months.

The Evidence = we are already seeing threads on here ... How do I install Yada Yada Blah Blah with no Optical Drive on my new MBA.:cool:

15. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I would've clarified but I didn't realize you thought I was talking about HDDs. I was just confused on why you thought it would raise prices.

And heywoodja, have a little class. Don't resort to personal insults. You're better than that. Apple made such a big deal about coming up with better battery tests that reflect real world usage that when people get the new MBP and it says 10 hours, they'll expect 10 hours.

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

And once Apple drops the drive, what happens to all the software at Wal-Mart, BestBuy, Staples, music stores, etc...? That just magically disappears?

17. dissolve macrumors 6502a

This is much more realistic. While Apple will certainly drop optical drives before many others competitors, but I very much doubt it'll be removed entirely, especially by the next refresh. No one can answer how they'll compensate for this new battery measure, but Apple has no problem with marketing new products. They'll probably watch how the MBA does with this lowered pricing compared to the MBP, which is still their most popular seller.

18. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Because they are moving toward a better standard. There is no regulations on marketing, so they can literally say whatever they want. The average consumer (what they are aiming for with the 13" MBP in particular) still likely wants the optical drive, so they would lose customers for that. I still use mine on occasion, and it's enough that I don't want to have to use an external for that. Yes, they take up a lot of space in a computer, but they aren't going away as soon as you say.

19. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

hmmm. I think thats what an external optical drive is for ;)
    haha. For the couple of times a year i use it. I would much rather plug in a drive a couple times and have more /better things.

20. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

So everyone disagrees. I guess I have to pull this thread back up in a few months...

21. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Or you could not...just saying

22. vant macrumors 65816

Apple won't be doing this for another few years.

A MBP13 without an optical drive is pretty much a MBA. The MBA will not sell as well as the MBA13.

23. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

If you live that long!:eek:

Will it happen? Yes. But your time frame is way to short. This isn't like when the floppy drive got left off for the optical drive. There's nothing to replace it yet. Not cheaply or securely anyway...

CD distribution is cheap compared to a flash drive and I think you'd find a public unwilling to download every major program they need from the internet due to security scares and backup concerns. Most of us here regularly rely on the cloud, but Ma and Pa need that disc, at least for the next couple of years.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They admitted the signal strength algorithm in iOS was over-generous and changed it. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same given they did it with the MBA.

25. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Apple is not dropping the optical drive in the next revision. Too many people still need them, myself included. Frankly I don't see the form factor changing at all with the next revision.