Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
How many review units go out and are they fresh units that reviewers set up themselves? Wondering if Apple threw a load of content on these things for reviewers to try before those people reset them for specific testing? Also I'd imagine the 1TB model would be the lowest seller so manufacture them and give them to reviewers won't impact/delay actual sales, that say 256GB models would.

Reactions: gatorknight904

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
seems a little odd. Could this be so that reviewers perceive better performance due to the increased ram?
I definitely don’t think the “better performance” was the intention. It seem they all go 12.9” LTE 1TB models, which is the top of the range and is common to have the most expensive model.

I’ve skimmed through every video review I could find and only 1 mentioned having the 11” model

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
How many review units go out and are they fresh units that reviewers set up themselves? Wondering if Apple threw a load of content on these things for reviewers to try before those people reset them for specific testing? Also I'd imagine the 1TB model would be the lowest seller so manufacture them and give them to reviewers won't impact/delay actual sales, that say 256GB models would.
On the scale these things are produced, a handful of iPads wouldn’t be a deciding factor is supply

Last edited:

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Can't wait to go to YouTube and see iJustine's "review" with her hugging it and saying how excited she is.

At least The Verge priced out their review unit to over $2k and he balked at it.
I think the underlying theme, it's the best tablet and super fast but who is it for?

Yeah, I’m not convinced I’m going to keep mine yet. Will depend what mkbhd and jonathon Morrison day about it along with how the first week goes with it.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was going to start this thread myself but see I'm late to the game. Seems telling, especially the reviews that talk about how it can handle all these layers and power through batch RAW to JPG file processing. Surely having more RAM would impact performance here somewhat.

That being said, it's pretty bonkers that the 12.9" iPad Pro can transcode a 12 minutes 4K video in nearly double real-time at 7:47 while the 2018 13" MBP can do the same in 25:53. That's a 3.33X performance advantage for the 12.9" iPad Pro. People who think that these chips aren't destined for Macs need to have their head checked.

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
I’m glad I don’t have to rely on other people YouTube videos to make my decisions for me. I decide what I like myself. So Wednesday I’ll be enjoying my new iPad Pro.
You’re likely not a pro user with “pro” workflows that they’re trying to market this towards and would be fine with the regular ipad

Reactions: martyjmclean

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
You’re likely not a pro user with “pro” workflows that they’re trying to market this towards and would be fine with the regular ipad

First you know nothing about me. Second the "Pro" moniker apple had given to various releases is nothing more than higher specd equipment, has nothing to do with being marketed to so called Pros.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
First you know nothing about me. Second the "Pro" moniker apple had given to various releases is nothing more than higher specd equipment, has nothing to do with being marketed to so called Pros.

True, an iPod can be a "Pro" device, if you use it in your work.

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
I’d be willing to bet if you don’t care about the specs in a 2000$ “pro” device with that you’re using it to watch YouTube, email, and web surf

Reactions: RevTEG

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Can't wait to go to YouTube and see iJustine's "review" with her hugging it and saying how excited she is.

No kidding..

She obviously has a wide appeal, but every time I watch a review like hers for a minute or two I realize just how old I apparently am. It just feels like completely useless puff that is essentially just paid product placement.

Nothing wrong with it - but totally useless to me.
Kudos to her though. She's carved out a great career doing something fun.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why do you care what someone else says about it? If it works for you then keep it, if it doesn't then don't.
I can understand watching YouTube reviews BEFORE one decides to purchase something... but using videos to help determine whether or not one will keep a device they've already purchased?
eek7.gif

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Why do you care what someone else says about it? If it works for you then keep it, if it doesn't then don't.
Because I don’t have the luxury of dropping 3-4grand on a 4gb and 6gb model to compare. I’m hoping one of the big reviewers does a comparison as it’s a large deciding factor for me.
[doublepost=1541444384][/doublepost]
I can understand watching YouTube reviews BEFORE one decides to purchase something... but using videos to help determine whether or not one will keep a device they've already purchased?
View attachment 801520

The device was already purchased before this whole 4gb vs 6gb thing was known.

Reactions: JOEBETA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.