Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

All Screen Notchless In-Display Touch ID or Face ID Notch Display Poll

• All Screen Notchless In-Display Touch ID

Votes: 83 55.0%
  • Face ID Notch Display

Votes: 68 45.0%

• Total voters

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
First of all, I was the biggest Face ID hater about a month ago before I actually got an iPhone X.

Today, when I jump on my iPad and actually have to use Touch ID I cannot stand it, it’s inconvenient.

You need an option on your poll that says “I don’t see the Notch and I like Face ID, Touch ID is a thing of the past”

Because it is.

Maybe Touch ID with a button is a thing of past, but Touch ID under a screen isn't. And Face ID dosesn't make In-Display Touch ID all of a sudden obsolete. People are subjective. Some are never going to be happy with Face ID and that notch, and some are never going to be happy with Touch ID. Both are good technology's and Apple users should be pissed off that they can't have both to choose from. My opinion of course.

Reactions: Applejuiced

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
First of all, I was the biggest Face ID hater about a month ago before I actually got an iPhone X.

Today, when I jump on my iPad and actually have to use Touch ID I cannot stand it, it’s inconvenient.

You need an option on your poll that says “I don’t see the Notch and I like Face ID, Touch ID is a thing of the past”

Because it is.

My disappointment in your conversion cannot be overstated. To think you would have a change of opinion once after experiencing the product rather than from mere outside observation is upsetting.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Touch ID is dead. RIP...it was good tech, but it'd gone for Apple now.

Pretty sure the iMac Pro has Face ID built in, so the writing is on the wall....no luck on us getting a Touch ID keyboard.

Hoping they bring out a standalone Apple web cam supporting face ID for those of us using our Mini's as HTPC's. :) (doubt it)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Maybe Touch ID with a button is a thing of past, but Touch ID under a screen isn't. And Face ID dosesn't make In-Display Touch ID all of a sudden obsolete. People are subjective. Some are never going to be happy with Face ID and that notch, and some are never going to be happy with Touch ID. Both are good technology's and Apple users should be pissed off that they can't have both to choose from. My opinion of course.

Touch ID is obsolete. We don’t need it under a screen or on top of the screen.

Fingerprints are a thing of the past.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Fingerprints are a thing of the past.

Your post is more of a broad generalization. Fingerprint biometric security still very relevant in the tech industry, and Apple still supports it with the iPhone 8, it's just Face ID is their current belief of their future in security. But it doesn't make it a thing of the past as of yet, specially when it's still being supported.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I will refrain from voting until my X arrives. However Face ID is anything like I’ve used on the Samsung galaxy note then I’d go with notchless display and Touch ID embedded into the display.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I am not a betting-type person. But if I were, I would bet that in the next year or two, TouchID under the screen and/or a notchless display will happen with the new iPhone X's (whatever they may be called in the future).

Just my prediction.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I am not a betting-type person. But if I were, I would bet that in the next year or two, TouchID under the screen and/or a notchless display will happen with the new iPhone X's (whatever they may be called in the future).

Just my prediction.

It won’t.

If Face ID can win over a huge skeptic like me, it will win over everyone else.

Face ID is so good it’s like it’s not even there. Its like the first iPhones without any security at all. It’s truly amazing.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth

Just my prediction.

I agree.

Reactions: brgjoe

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
What I would like to see and purchase next would be a notch-less full screen device with both touch ID under the screen and face ID available.
Give me the option of using either one and decide what I like best at different times.
Also I dont care about wireless charging at all, make the device stronger with a nice anodized metal back.

Yeah my preference would also be to keep my 8 until they move on to the next stage of their design and eliminate the bar. If they're gonna go notchville across the entire lineup though, I might just get the 2nd SE for the form factor I like best.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
You didn’t get your point across because it doesn’t show a camera. Also a camera is a different shape compared to a speaker, which is elongated.

It’s more likely they would put it under the display.
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/08/apple_files_patent_for_camera_hidden_behind_display

I think he got his point across well enough. Macro; they will make it full screen and more of a seamless look to the eye. Micro; they will need to find a way to put the sensors and more difficult, front-facing camera under the display. The point is that it's possible for the next iteration in their design, they'll be able to eliminate the notch.

I'm personally interested to see how smartphone manufacturers introduce advanced facial recognition over the next 1-2 years, as this is likely similar to what apple will do next.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I think he got his point across well enough. Macro; they will make it full screen and more of a seamless look to the eye. Micro; they will need to find a way to put the sensors and more difficult, front-facing camera under the display. The point is that it's possible for the next iteration in their design, they'll be able to eliminate the notch.

I'm personally interested to see how smartphone manufacturers introduce advanced facial recognition over the next 1-2 years, as this is likely similar to what apple will do next.

His photo only shows a speaker. What about the camera? Light sensor? Proximity sensor? Oh it’s in the chin. Not to mention the iPhone X has a dot projector, an infrared camera and a flood illuminator.

The MiMix isn’t bezeless, it’s a phone that’s been flipped.

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Face ID isn't perfect, but I enjoy being able to unlock my phone while wearing gloves or with wet fingers.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Full screen video is ridiculous because of the NOTCH. Perhaps apple will fix it somehow so that full screen video just crops before the notch. Otherwise compared to competitors, it looks terrible.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Touch ID in-display so I can blindly unlock the phone without picking it up in the dark.

The issues with rear fingerprint scanners and Face ID is you have to pick it up just to unlock it.
Why would you unlock it when you do t look at it?
[doublepost=1517209741][/doublepost]
Just saw this. 50/50.....I'm smh at the irony.
Looking at this thread alone there a few people there who never even used FaceID ;)

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
Can you explain the differences between irony and those who strictly have different preferences for both? Seems you're confusing the two.

That's the thing. The option of said technologies should always be integrated to give the user the choice to decide on which to use. People are subjective, ergo the irony of a 50/50 split. It shows that for consumers one option doesn't fit all.

Last edited:

jerry70450

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2017
Which would you choose if Apple was to give you a choice between these two models of future Iphones?
This is meant to be a fun poll. Of course I would love to have both options on one phone.
Maybe instead of touch ID in the display, make it on the back glass. Alot of android phones have their fingerprint sensors on the back and it is so convenient when you pull it out of your pocket.

Reactions: HolyGrail

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Once tech is able to not be in that top notch area you'll bet your ass phone manufacturers will have a truly all screen display. Putting the phone speaker/calls in the top area like this and imbedding a camera in this area also.
It will happen soon just you watch.

The notch wont stay around longer than 4 years

I hate to be one of those people but if Steve jobs was here the notch would’ve never been released, the iPhone X would’ve looked like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.