Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Though everyone would be worse off.

👉 The millions of iPhones sold in Europe contribute their margins to Apple towards Apple covering its fixed and development costs - even for customers elsewhere in the world.
MAYBE citizens in the EU would be worse off, but I contend they’d just find solutions that work for them in the region. So, maybe annoying, but maybe they end up with better products as well. Apple’s fixed and development costs come nowhere near the over $200bn they’d still be pulling in. Their entire R&D budget is JUST 20 million. Everything else they have makes a profit due to how they price their products (App Store, manufacturing, Retail). So, removing the EU removes the profits of the EU while also removing the COSTS of the EU. The rest of the company would still be making a significant, and growing profit outside the EU. And, since “Europe” as Apple reports it, includes the EU, non-EU countries, the Middle East, Africa, and India, continuing to grow business there and around the world could eventually even make up the loss.

Not that it would EVER happen, but, unless Apple products are actually some kind of “magical”, if I were writing a book describing a world after Apple left the EU, it wouldn’t be too much different from the current world.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I hope they spite europe and go full portless.

Law only effects brand new models manufactured/designed after the law comes into effect end of 2024. Enough time for the 15 series in 2023, 16 series to release in 2024 before the laws date to come with lightning. Fall 2025=portless 16 series. Apple have been working on portless tech for a while so 2025 seems reasonable.
Portless is stupid. when I travel, I have to be able to charge a between 3-5 devices. I have a 6 USB port charger. I can also carry a small charger and cable in my bag. No way I want to carry Qi chargers with me.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.