Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to break a droid by bending it. I'm wondering if damage can be inflicted just as with an iPhone.

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
Not really nonsense, up to this point I've never seen a bent iphone.. Now this is happening everywhere even to a few of my friends under casual use..

coasterghost

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to break a droid by bending it. I'm wondering if damage can be inflicted just as with an iPhone.

"I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to break a droid by bending it." To my knowledge no body has tried it but also the droid phones don't try to be the thinnest thing on the market.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Not really nonsense, up to this point I've never seen a bent iphone.. Now this is happening everywhere even to a few of my friends under casual use..

There was a huge case of it happening with the iPhone 5, and the bending was WAY more extreme as well.

Compared to the iPhone 5 bending, this is nothing.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun

A Droid specifically, or any other phone manufacturer, or what? If you mean a phone running Android, not sure what the OS would have to do with a bending phone. Don't try to make this a flame war.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
bend test on the Note 3. followup to the 6 plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0&feature=youtu.be

Doesn't look good for us guys. This is a black eye on Apple. Samsung is going to go to town with this one. Mark my words.

Plastic vs Metal.

One is flexible and the other is malleable.

Plus it's not really a fair test. The guy bent something that had already lost structural integrity (already bent) and compared it to something that was intact structurally.

Add to the fact that no sane person would do what he did in day to day use.

Last edited:

rhylin

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Nowhere, USA
There was a huge case of it happening with the iPhone 5, and the bending was WAY more extreme as well.

Compared to the iPhone 5 bending, this is nothing.

I've never seen one case of the bending under casual use with the iphone 5... Better get a holster for this monstrosity.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

I'm so glad that you felt the need to create another thread about this instead of joining the other 9 or so already on the first page of threads. Congrats on the achievement.

Last edited:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Every year people look for something to get outraged over with the new iPhone. Then the media helps spread the hysteria. Just look at the "antennagate" nonsense.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

I call BS.

These is nothing more than a subversive plot from yours truly.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
A Droid specifically, or any other phone manufacturer, or what? If you mean a phone running Android, not sure what the OS would have to do with a bending phone. Don't try to make this a flame war.

I was saying any phone that is classified as a droid.

----------

I'm so glad that you felt the need to create another thread about this instead of joining the other 9 or so already on the first page of threads. Congrats on the achievement.

Glad you appreciate it:p.

coasterghost

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
From Gizmodo:

Previous iPhones were thicker and not as long. In material bending, larger cross sectional areas (thickness x width) and shorter lengths make things stronger (You can't easily bend a cube), while the opposite makes things very easy to bend (paper is easily folded). The increased length and decreased thickness contribute to the weakness of the new iPhone. Strength is proportionally related to length, but strength is affected much more by changes in thickness.

All other things being equal, this 0.5 mm change in thickness greatly affects the bending strength. While the iPhone 5S was only 7% thicker than the iPhone 6 Plus, it was actually 22% stronger in bending. When you make something longer, it gets proportionally more bendable, when you make it thinner, it gets a lot more bendable.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
From Gizmodo:

Previous iPhones were thicker and not as long. In material bending, larger cross sectional areas (thickness x width) and shorter lengths make things stronger (You can't easily bend a cube), while the opposite makes things very easy to bend (paper is easily folded). The increased length and decreased thickness contribute to the weakness of the new iPhone. Strength is proportionally related to length, but strength is affected much more by changes in thickness.

All other things being equal, this 0.5 mm change in thickness greatly affects the bending strength. While the iPhone 5S was only 7% thicker than the iPhone 6 Plus, it was actually 22% stronger in bending. When you make something longer, it gets proportionally more bendable, when you make it thinner, it gets a lot more bendable.

Cross sectional areas:
5S = 58.6 mm x 7.6 mm = 445.36 mm^2
6 = 67.0 mm x 6.9 mm = 462.3 mm^2
6+ = 77.8 mm x 7.1 mm = 552.38 mm^2

So we have increased CA to at least somewhat offset the increased length. I'm not sure I buy your 22% stronger in bending number.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I feel like a lot of this media-fueled "#BentGate" blitz is organized and spread by Samsung. They spend billions on marketing and they are getting pretty desperate.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I feel like a lot of this media-fueled "#BentGate" blitz is organized and spread by Samsung. They spend billions on marketing and they are getting pretty desperate.

I don't. The phones can bend fairly easily, not sure why people feel the need to defend Apple on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.