All the iPad Trackpad Keyboard Cases You Can Buy

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of iPadOS 13.4 in March 2020, Apple introduced official Bluetooth mouse and trackpad support for iPads. The update added support for Apple's own standalone keyboards, mice and trackpads, as well as third-party input devices. It also paved the way for the release of Apple's own Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro, which launched ahead of schedule in late April.

Apple's new Magic Keyboard isn't the only iPad keyboard case with a built-in multi-touch trackpad, though. In this regularly updated article, we round up all the current all-in-one case options for iPad owners looking to take advantage of keyboard and trackpad input.

1. Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

Starting with Apple's own, the $300 Magic Keyboard attaches magnetically to ?iPad Pro? and includes a floating design that works on either a lap or a desk, and an integrated trackpad for controlling an onscreen pointer, which allows users to enhance their workflows in multiple ways.
It features cantilevered hinges for smooth adjustments of the viewing angle up to 130 degrees, including a full-size keyboard with backlit keys and a scissor mechanism that delivers 1mm travel. The only real drawback is that the layout lacks a row of function keys, so users have no dedicated key for adjusting some system settings, including keyboard backlight brightness.
USB-C pass-through charging leaves the USB-C port on the iPad Pro free for other accessories. It's also backwards compatible with both of Apple's 2018 iPad Pro models, the ?iPad Pro? 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and the ?iPad Pro? 11-inch (1st generation).

The biggest complaint about the new Magic Keyboard has been the weight, which adds quite a lot of bulk to the ?iPad Pro?. In fact, the 12.9-inch model paired with a Magic Keyboard is heavier than a MacBook Air.

2. Brydge Plus Pro Keyboard

Long before Apple introduced trackpad support in iOS 13.4, Brydge announced an iPad Pro keyboard with a built-in multi-touch trackpad. The trackpad was originally included to take advantage of the AssistiveTouch features in iPadOS, but now that Apple provides broader trackpad support, Brydge allows users to update their device's firmware to take advantage of the added functionality, using the Bridge Connect app.

The Brydge Plus Pro keyboard attaches to the ?iPad Pro? using a set of hinges that allow the ?iPad Pro?'s angle to be adjusted to suit. Like the iPad Pro, it's made entirely from aluminum, so the two match up well.

The full-size QWERTY keyboard features LED-backlit keys with three levels of brightness. It also features dedicated iPad controls, including a Siri button and options for accessing the Home screen, locking the ?iPad?, adjusting brightness, controlling media playback, and more.

There are cases available for the latest-generation 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models for $200 and $300 respectively, but unlike Apple's Magic Keyboard, the Brydge connects via Bluetooth 4.1 instead of the Smart Connector. As such, it has to be charged separately, and has an advertised three-month battery life per charge.

3. Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad for iPad, iPad Air, and 10.5-Inch iPad Pro

Logitech keyboard cases with built-in trackpads for the 10.2-inch iPad and the 10.5-inch iPad Air are both priced at $150. Thanks to design input from Apple, the keyboards connect to the Smart Connector on each iPad, meaning no batteries are required. The keyboard case for the 10.5-inch iPad Air is also compatible with the older 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

The full-sized keyboards feature an integrated trackpad with Multi-Touch gesture support, backlit keys, a kickback stand with 50-degree tilt, and four usage modes for typing, viewing, reading, and sketching.
There's also a row of function keys, with other options available for accessing the Home screen, adjusting screen brightness, accessing search, and accessing media controls. The case adds some protection to the iPad and includes a holder for the original Apple Pencil or Logitech Crayon.

Design wise, the keyboard case has a Microsoft Surface look and feel to it thanks to the fabric build, offering full protection for the ?iPad? except for the section where the keyboard connects. With the keyboard attached, the ?iPad? is protected when the case is closed up and not in use.

Article Link: All the iPad Trackpad Keyboard Cases You Can Buy

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
Loving my Logitech Combo Touch. The only thing that would let me consider the Magic Keyboard case is the better «lapability» due to the smaller footprint.
so far that is outweight by the better protection and the lower price. The Brydge one is obviously awful.

Last edited:
Comment

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Why is the Brydge keyboard "obviously awful"? It actually seems the best of the bunch...
I haven’t used the newest version but have the non-trackpad version for my 2018 12.9”. Build quality is very good and having more viewing angle options (including spinning the iPad around for a ’viewing mode’ with the keyboard serving as a stand behind the iPad) is great. It’s also nice having the function row.

Downsides compared to the Magic Keyboard is its weight (even though its supposedly about the same weight, it just feels heavier, maybe because it’s all concentrated in the keyboard base), typing feel isn’t as good (keys feel like there is more side to side wobble and the keys themselves are a bit smaller), removing the iPad is far more difficult and the hinges feel like they’re less reliable over time, and it’s bluetooth vs. smart connector. If I want to disengage the iPad and go sit and use it as a tablet, it stays connected via bluetooth and the onscreen keyboard won’t automatically pop up unless I remember to turn off the keyboard entirely. There is also occasional lag, especially of course when you first wake it up.

Everything I’ve read about the trackpad on the new version is that the clicking experience is not good (hinged at the top so it doesn’t register good reliable clicks everywhere) and it doesn’t support all native gestures/scrolling.

The Brydge may be cheaper but is compromised in so many ways. If I wasn’t using the Magic Keyboard, I’d personally just stick with the Smart Keyboard Folio and a Magic Trackpad 2.

Comment

kissmo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I have the MK.... I had regrets when I ordered it, almost canceled and then... it arrived.
And now it's my favorite accessory and I use my iPad pro a lot more often for more use cases.

The keyboard, the trackpad and the form factor are super awesome.
The minuses: weight and the fact that the outside will not look well over time.

Comment

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
Why is the Brydge keyboard "obviously awful"? It actually seems the best of the bunch...
Because the trackpad doesn’t have all gestures, wich makes it useless for me. The Logitech was developed in contact with Apple to ensure full compatibility. It also lacks a holder for Apple Pencil and has no protection when used vertically. It turns iPad into a laptop, while it’s Strength is modularity. Just my opinion, of course.

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
What if I have a smart folio already (which I actually like a lot to be honest), would a Magic Trackpad make more sense? I don’t mind having it ‘detached’ from the main keyboard

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)
Comment

ejin222

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I use my iPad Pro as purely a consumption device. I don’t think I’d get much use out of these.
Using a keyboard would dictate using your iPad less for consumption and more for productivity, no? I'm not sure what purpose your comment was meant to inspire...

Personally, had the Logitech Combo Touch which remains one of my favorite cases. If it had a trackpad, I would consider switching out my MK for it. I also have the Brydge (non trackpad) and after one year of use, the rubber grips are gone and the keys don't work as well. Here's hoping that the MK fixes all the flaws from the Brydge

Reactions: bobob
Comment

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I have the Combo Touch for my 10.5” Pro. Really enjoy it, one of my favourite things is the fact the keyboard detaches and I can use the back cover with kickstand on it’s own (e.g. when just using it as a tablet, or watching things while cooking without the keyboard).

If I ever upgrade to a newer iPad I would dig this design more than the current magic keyboard, which seems very expensive and only suited to the one type of use.

I do think Logitech will eventually come out with something for the newer iPads.

Comment

techfreak23

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
I really wish Logitech would release a version for the 11” Pro. I would even pay $50 more. I’m okay at the $200 price point for something like this. Apple can shove it with their $300-350 price points. My iPad alone cost $930 (they start at $800). That’s a ridiculous portion of the cost of the iPad itself!

Reactions: jimthing
Comment

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
The key here for me is Bluetooth.

I have a different Brydge which I have stopped using. The lag while waiting for Bluetooth to reconnect after inactivity is very noticable (about three to five seconds). A keyboard which implements the Smart Connector would be much more convenient.

There are also issues with the Brydge hinge connectors. These put a lot of pressure on the corners of the iPad. You can’t just pull the iPad off whenever you want. It takes a good amount of force to pull it free.

A Brydge restricts you to landscape orientation at all times. I like to read magazines in portrait mode so this was another deal breaker.

Comment

ejin222

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
The key here for me is Bluetooth.

I have a different Brydge which I have stopped using. The lag while waiting for Bluetooth to reconnect after inactivity is very noticable (about three to five seconds). A keyboard which implements the Smart Connector would be much more convenient.

There are also issues with the Brydge hinge connectors. These put a lot of pressure on the corners of the iPad. You can’t just pull the iPad off whenever you want. It takes a good amount of force to pull it free.

A Brydge restricts you to landscape orientation at all times. I like to read magazines in portrait mode so this was another deal breaker.
I have the Brydge and MK. The Brydge never put pressure on the corners like you said, but the Bluetooth connection did kill me. My Logitech had a smart connector and I loved that thing. I consider the MK it’s “successor” for me.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric
Comment

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I haven’t used the newest version but have the non-trackpad version for my 2018 12.9”. Build quality is very good and having more viewing angle options (including spinning the iPad around for a ’viewing mode’ with the keyboard serving as a stand behind the iPad) is great. It’s also nice having the function row.

Downsides compared to the Magic Keyboard is its weight (even though its supposedly about the same weight, it just feels heavier, maybe because it’s all concentrated in the keyboard base), typing feel isn’t as good (keys feel like there is more side to side wobble and the keys themselves are a bit smaller), removing the iPad is far more difficult and the hinges feel like they’re less reliable over time, and it’s bluetooth vs. smart connector. If I want to disengage the iPad and go sit and use it as a tablet, it stays connected via bluetooth and the onscreen keyboard won’t automatically pop up unless I remember to turn off the keyboard entirely. There is also occasional lag, especially of course when you first wake it up.

Everything I’ve read about the trackpad on the new version is that the clicking experience is not good (hinged at the top so it doesn’t register good reliable clicks everywhere) and it doesn’t support all native gestures/scrolling.

The Brydge may be cheaper but is compromised in so many ways. If I wasn’t using the Magic Keyboard, I’d personally just stick with the Smart Keyboard Folio and a Magic Trackpad 2.
The hinge mechanism in the Brydge keyboard makes it a no go. Way too many reported horror stories, and the ipad pro is already prone to bending. Besides you lose the ability to quickly use the ipad as a tablet.

It's a poorly designed product.

Comment

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The Apple “Magic” (🙄) keyboard is a nice bit of kit but painfully pricey, I mean you could buy a standard/basic iPad for around the same price which is insane.

As always, there’s a reason Logitech lead this sector and when their new Pro keyboard is released, fairly sure it’ll blow the competition away in terms of form, function and value.

Reactions: Wackery
Comment

Pistol Peto

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
West of Toronto
My magic keyboard arrived Friday. Really expensive, yes, but I’m surprised by how much it changed how I use my iPad. Everything is faster. Of course typing/editing text, but mostly navigating between apps. Getting back to home, launching another app and switching between apps is so crazy fast. It’s a real strength of iPadOS that I didn’t appreciate enough. Now *please* fix files and it will be a true replacement for most of what I do on a computer.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Apple “Magic” (🙄) keyboard is a nice bit of kit but painfully pricey, I mean you could buy a standard/basic iPad for around the same price which is insane.

As always, there’s a reason Logitech lead this sector and when their new Pro keyboard is released, fairly sure it’ll blow the competition away in terms of form, function and value.
But no other case can make it perform like the magic keyboard does. Like with brydge there will be drawbacks with the touchpad for example.

£350 yeah not cheap but if you use it consistently everyday it will soon be seem as worth it.

Comment

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
But no other case can make it perform like the magic keyboard does. Like with brydge there will be drawbacks with the touchpad for example.

£350 yeah not cheap but if you use it consistently everyday it will soon be seem as worth it.
The Combo Touch has the same keyboard functionality...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.