Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
whats so great about this? like you ever see it considering ur always on the other side of the machine

It just adds a nice touch. The sticker Apple logo now gives it a cheap look. Tim Cook probably took it off to save money. A sticker is probably .0001 cents mass produced....including taking away the back glow of the keys for low light night stuff.

Just kidding about the Tim joke (but might have some truth in it), understand why the need to take it off both due to battery stuff and the higher demand on batteries with higher powered systems demands... ;)

Both added a nice touch and experience and I am glad I have my MacBook Air 2013 maxed out. Love it and hope to continue to use it for sometime.

I was upset that they stopped giving soft black velvet wipe cloths for the screens that came in the box. That was a cost decision, but added class and gave the MacBook an expensive feel for the price.

That ended when Steve Jobs died..
[doublepost=1515733286][/doublepost]
However, a lot of MacBook Air users are now getting caught out by the small SSD capacity - especially those users with 128GB disks onboard.

Glad I maxed out my purchase (8 GB Ram and 512 SSD). Best decision I ever made on a laptop purchased, but of course hurt my pocket at the time.

If you plan to keep the air for sometime, then best to just max out. My 2013 Air still runs fast and able to hold High Sierra well. If you only plan on having it for a few years, then people can go with the standard and be fine.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
As a matter of interest @RedTomato, how do stop your iCloud photos downloading via sync onto your MBA again?
It doesn’t. That’s the magic of it.

As far as I can tell, it automatically downloads thumbnails of what ever pics I’ve taken recently (possibly each night?), plus if I go straight from phone to laptop and open Photos, it will download any new thumbnails.

Pics that I open are downloaded in full, maybe it keeps the last 1000 pics I took in full, I’m honestly not sure. At some point, pics I haven’t looked at in a while are chucked off the SSD (the master stays intact in iCloud).

After enabling iCloud 2TB, I went from 5GB free on my 128 GB SSD to about 25GB free, and I didn’t do anything apart from enabling the various iCloud options in SysPrefs. Over the last few months that 25GB free space has stayed more or less consistent despite downloading & working with stuff almost every day.

I still keep the 128GB PNY sdxc card plugged in and I use that for large files (multiGB) which I think helps avoid massive shuffling stuff around.

Best as I can describe it is iCloud storage works as kind of a Fusion drive, a 128GB SSD backed by a 2TB drive and I don’t really think at all about where data is. OS X shuffles data between the two automatically depending on age and frequency of use. It’s also like Dropbox in that iCloud keeps a full backup so I could replace my entire MBA data and setup in minutes if the laptop got stolen.

Reactions: komatsu

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
It doesn’t. That’s the magic of it.

As far as I can tell, it automatically downloads thumbnails of what ever pics I’ve taken recently (possibly each night?), plus if I go straight from phone to laptop and open Photos, it will download any new thumbnails.

Pics that I open are downloaded in full, maybe it keeps the last 1000 pics I took in full, I’m honestly not sure. At some point, pics I haven’t looked at in a while are chucked off the SSD (the master stays intact in iCloud).

After enabling iCloud 2TB, I went from 5GB free on my 128 GB SSD to about 25GB free, and I didn’t do anything apart from enabling the various iCloud options in SysPrefs. Over the last few months that 25GB free space has stayed more or less consistent despite downloading & working with stuff almost every day.

I still keep the 128GB PNY sdxc card plugged in and I use that for large files (multiGB) which I think helps avoid massive shuffling stuff around.

Best as I can describe it is iCloud storage works as kind of a Fusion drive, a 128GB SSD backed by a 2TB drive and I don’t really think at all about where data is. OS X shuffles data between the two automatically depending on age and frequency of use. It’s also like Dropbox in that iCloud keeps a full backup so I could replace my entire MBA data and setup in minutes if the laptop got stolen.

A braver soul than I. When this became a feature on MacOS - the ability to offload / sync so much of my stuff to iCloud and access it all from there - I ensured I did not enable it, right away. While I have a select number of files I toss into iCloud for an off-site backup, the idea of having my stuff 'up there' - relying on the good graces of Apple and / or the internet - gives me the willies. I prefer to have all my files 'local' (say, wasn't that the whole point behind a 'personal' computer - to have a computer and files immediate to hand, and not rely on a mainframe elsewhere?), and I keep them on my Air - with Time Machine, a portable external drive for the stuff I don't access regularly, and on a few 'belt and suspenders' USB drives.

But then, it must be argued I have a whole less faith in Apple generally - not keeping, say, my pictures, within the proprietary iPhoto / Photos app (occasionally using them to tweak pics when I want more than Preview), but then exporting them out again afterwards. Like my documents, I keep all my photos in my own Folders.

Your solution sounds very cool. Just not cool enough for me to be convinced. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
A braver soul than I. When this became a feature on MacOS - the ability to offload / sync so much of my stuff to iCloud and access it all from there - I ensured I did not enable it right away. While I have a select number of files I toss into iCloud for an off-site backup, the idea of having my stuff 'up there' - relying on the good graces of Apple and / or the internet - gives me the willies. I prefer to have all my files 'local' (say, wasn't that the whole point behind a 'personal computer - to have a computer and files immediate to hand, and not rely on a mainframe elsewhere?), and I keep them on my Air - with Time Machine, a portable external drive for the stuff I don't access regularly, and on a few 'belt and suspenders' USB drives.

But then, it must be argued I have a whole less faith in Apple generally - not keeping, say, my pictures, within the proprietary iPhoto / Photos app (occasionally using them to tweak pics when I want more than Preview), but then exporting them out again afterwards. Like my documents, I keep all my photos in my own Folders.

Your solution sounds very cool. Just not cool enough for me to be convinced. ;)

I share your concerns. I'm also not 100% happy about not having a local copy of everything. My ancient Time Capsule is still running, so I have a local copy of everything currently on my mac. I admit I don't really know what happens if OSX decides to eliminate a local file that has been untouched in a while. It should carry on existing in older archives in Time Capsule ... then what?

I don't really have the time or inclination to investigate. I'm currently building a mini-ITX hackingtosh for various reasons, inside a biscuit tin, and will throw in a decently sized HDD and set that to have a local copy of everything in iCloud. That's my preferred solution for now.

Reactions: burgman

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I share your concerns. I'm also not 100% happy about not having a local copy of everything. My ancient Time Capsule is still running, so I have a local copy of everything currently on my mac. I admit I don't really know what happens if OSX decides to eliminate a local file that has been untouched in a while. It should carry on existing in older archives in Time Capsule ... then what? ...

While it seems Apple's solution with MacOS and iCloud (understandably attractive to those with a small SSD, but gives me the heebie-jeebies) when enabled is to move wholesale all our files off the notebook into the cloud and sync those files back and forth as needed, I'm more inclined (although it uses more real estate on the SSD) to use the iCloud folder - or more often, Dropbox or OneDrive - as a solution. Files opened from their folders and tweaked are then automatically sync'd to the Cloud, without removing the Local 'original'. It all overkill, I grant you, but when the day arrives when my Air (or their servers, or business plan) goes up in a puff of smoke - I will have a Plan A, B, C,.... :rolleyes:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I use one every day as my traveler. The ergonomics of it (keyboard, trackpad, size, weight, MagSafe) + the USB ports make it the best laptop in the line. Though it's 5 years old and not even the max config, I'm constantly amazed that it performs as well as it does with so little hardware resources. When I want more horsepower than it provides, its time to hit the workstation anyway.

...when the 17" MBP is busy, it'll even stream data to my CNC machine reliably. This little thing is great.

Last edited:

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The other day, I was in my local Apple Store, looking at the availability and price of the 'Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet' dongle (I'm upgrading my internet service beyond 100Mbps). The sales clerk asked me what Mac I had, in order to direct me to the right product. When I said the 11" MacBook Air, he stopped and looked at me - his eyes growing a little misty - and said, "Man, those were great machines". I concurred I liked mine very much, and it was still going gangbusters, even though it was now coming up to seven years old.

I told him, should I ever need to replace it, I just don't 'feel it', when it comes to the current MacBooks - and certainly not at the price Apple is charging. He agreed, saying that if I was to come in today to buy one, he'd direct me to the mid-range (1.8 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD) 13" Air at $CDN1450 (still pricey in my estimation) - 'older' technology, to be sure, but still a well-built machine and with most of the external ports you need to connect up storage and peripherals. And he said that is the MacBook model that is most often sold in that particular store.

He suggested the next step up for MacBooks - yeah, with newer tech, but really, the biggest deal they feature is the retina screen ("...great for watching videos, game playing and high-end photo manipulation, but really, if you don't do that stuff, it's overkill", he said) are the base model MacBook or MacBook Pro. Both $CDN270 more - and really weren't worth it, he thought.
Harsh (albeit hushed) opinion particularly about the base MacBook - which was originally supposed to replace the Air (especially if you didn't drink the Apple Kool-aid suggesting that an iPad Pro was just as good) - it was "underpowered - even compared to your old Air", "...terrible keyboard" and the current issue with all new MacBooks, "...not enough ports".

There's the rumours that the 13" Air will get killed off this year, and he was unhappy about that, too - "What are they going to do? Build a cheaper, even worse MacBook, to replace it?" Ouch.

I left without the dongle, but I know it's there. And a little smile on my face.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’m sure Apple has the market research showing why people buy the MBA and I’d love to know the reasons they’re seeing - from their actions it would seem it’s overwhelmingly a price thing, but I still have to wonder if it isn’t at least in part a rejection of Apple’s ‘vision for the future’. For your average consumer, usb C holds no advantages. Bandwidth has no bearing on a thumb drive or mouse, not being able to plug it in does. That it’s there isn’t an issue, that it’s the only port on offer is. A low travel keyboard that’s ‘ok’ to type on replacing a ‘good’ one and then being charged more for the privilege? Let’s hope Jony Ive was being serious when he said they had heard the criticism.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
My kid's school district just passed a bond issue for infrastructure and facility reinvestment, including technology updates. They purchased new laptops for the faculty.......that's right MacBook Airs 2017. Devices for 800 teachers at all schools K-12. Not sure all were MBAs, but from the Board Meeting, I gathered they were the lion's share.

So, is the MBA still relevant and popular.....yep.

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Bought the misses one over the weekend. Best Buy was(still is?) having a $200 off sale. This is to replace an old 2008 15" MBP(8 gigs of RAM and SSD), because the graphics wasn't really cutting it anymore, as browsing the web was getting increasingly slower.

We went to BB to take a look at the MB, MB Air and 13" MBP. The 1 mm key travel in the MB and MBP made it a no go for her.

I'm glad it's still available, but in true Apple form, it stinks buying something practical that hasn't really seen an update in long while - Spare be the Broadwell update.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I really wonder what Apple is going to do, i personally feel they need they need an "entry level" machine like the Air (and mac mini for that matter), but i do know theres a vocal minority who feel these machines "undermine" Apple's brand, and would be perfectly happy if a base machine cost 2 grand, it is after all, in their eyes the Rolex of computers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some great posts by @Bazza1 - agree completely - it is known on these threads that I have long been of the opinion that the MBA (particularly since the battery upgrade in 2013) is simply the best computer that Apple ever made.

I'm typing this on a maxed out CTO 11" MBA - (512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM Core i7) a computer I'd buy again in heartbeat, as it is so reliable, so portable, so powerful, so comfortable to work with. I absolutely love it, it is a perfect expression of the design nirvana - this fusion of form and function.

I really wonder what Apple is going to do, i personally feel they need they need an "entry level" machine like the Air (and mac mini for that matter), but i do know theres a vocal minority who feel these machines "undermine" Apple's brand, and would be perfectly happy if a base machine cost 2 grand, it is after all, in their eyes the Rolex of computers.

Yes, but that rMB doesn't work as well as a Rolex; it is all form and no function.

Unless it works, - which is what Apple used to do so well - it will not gain traction.

Even the original MBA - a stunning piece of design - and underpowered and over-priced when first produced - I didn't buy one until 2010, when they had increased the capacity of the SSD drive (the original came with a SSD drive of 64GB) never sacrificed form for function quite so flagrantly.

I’m sure Apple has the market research showing why people buy the MBA and I’d love to know the reasons they’re seeing - from their actions it would seem it’s overwhelmingly a price thing, but I still have to wonder if it isn’t at least in part a rejection of Apple’s ‘vision for the future’. For your average consumer, usb C holds no advantages. Bandwidth has no bearing on a thumb drive or mouse, not being able to plug it in does. That it’s there isn’t an issue, that it’s the only port on offer is. A low travel keyboard that’s ‘ok’ to type on replacing a ‘good’ one and then being charged more for the privilege? Let’s hope Jony Ive was being serious when he said they had heard the criticism.

Very well said.

By all means usher in the future, but at least make sure that people can avail of it without suffering serious inconvenience in the process.

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Very well said.

By all means usher in the future, but at least make sure that people can avail of it wit suffering serious inconvenience in the process.
Another reason we went with a MB Air last weekend. The future is coming, but not according to Apple's schedule, when it comes to USB-C

OldEditor

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2018
The other day, I was in my local Apple Store, looking at the availability and price of the 'Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet' dongle (I'm upgrading my internet service beyond 100Mbps). The sales clerk asked me what Mac I had, in order to direct me to the right product. When I said the 11" MacBook Air, he stopped and looked at me - his eyes growing a little misty - and said, "Man, those were great machines". I concurred I liked mine very much, and it was still going gangbusters, even though it was now coming up to seven years old.

I told him, should I ever need to replace it, I just don't 'feel it', when it comes to the current MacBooks - and certainly not at the price Apple is charging. He agreed, saying that if I was to come in today to buy one, he'd direct me to the mid-range (1.8 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD) 13" Air at $CDN1450 (still pricey in my estimation) - 'older' technology, to be sure, but still a well-built machine and with most of the external ports you need to connect up storage and peripherals. And he said that is the MacBook model that is most often sold in that particular store.

He suggested the next step up for MacBooks - yeah, with newer tech, but really, the biggest deal they feature is the retina screen ("...great for watching videos, game playing and high-end photo manipulation, but really, if you don't do that stuff, it's overkill", he said) are the base model MacBook or MacBook Pro. Both $CDN270 more - and really weren't worth it, he thought.
Harsh (albeit hushed) opinion particularly about the base MacBook - which was originally supposed to replace the Air (especially if you didn't drink the Apple Kool-aid suggesting that an iPad Pro was just as good) - it was "underpowered - even compared to your old Air", "...terrible keyboard" and the current issue with all new MacBooks, "...not enough ports".

There's the rumours that the 13" Air will get killed off this year, and he was unhappy about that, too - "What are they going to do? Build a cheaper, even worse MacBook, to replace it?" Ouch.

I left without the dongle, but I know it's there. And a little smile on my face.

Sums up how I feel about my MBA.
About 6 months ago, I decided I wanted a laptop ... got everything I need on my desks at home and at work, but my company-issued iPad was less than thrilling for me on the road.
I went out and found an early 2014 basic setup 11" MBA refurb for $650. Runs like a top; looks like new.
It travels small, works every time, does everything I need, great battery life.
The little machine just makes me smile.
And I went ahead and bought that dongle ;)

Reactions: Bazza1

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
It's 2018 and there are STILL people who are personally offended that Apple still sells the Macbook Air and personally insulted that others would buy and enjoy them. :confused:

I realize I'm late coming into this discussion but after reading the comment above, I can't imagine why anyone would be offended just because someone chose to buy a different Apple product. To me this is pathetic behavior.

I see the different laptop models with different purposes. At one time I had a second gen MBA but ended up giving that laptop to my daughter since she was going to college. I loved that laptop because it had great battery life and was incredibly light. Since then I moved on to my mid2012 15 inch rMBP and then acquired a mid2012 i7 13 inch MBP. Both of which are maxed out in RAM and storage space. These laptops are awesome in their own right but are much heavier than the MBA.

Since I travel quite frequently I decided it was time to come full circle again and acquire another MBA. In this case I recently purchased a mid2013 1.7GHz i7/8GB RAM that needed some TLC. It was advertised that the laptop won't power on and that no further testing was performed. Long story short, the battery was discharged which is why it wouldn't power on, I installed a 256GB SSD blade and I got this little gem fully restored without any further issues. Amazing machine and I still have 87% battery life with only 400 cycles.

I think for anyone who is traveling a lot the MBA is the perfect laptop because of it's light weight and incredible battery life. Can't beat this machine in my opinion. For photography work I prefer using either of my MBPs for that task. All in all I have laptops for any situation best of all worlds so to speak. I have no need for any laptop with a touch bar and for what I do, the laptops I currently own more than meet my requirements.

In closing, I think what really matters is that whatever computer a person is using they are happy with their purchase and enjoying their computer experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazza1

OldEditor

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2018
I think for anyone who is traveling a lot the MBA is the perfect laptop because of it's light weight and incredible battery life. Can't beat this machine in my opinion. For photography work I prefer using either of my MBPs for that task. All in all I have laptops for any situation best of all worlds so to speak. I have no need for any laptop with a touch bar and for what I do, the laptops I currently own more than meet my requirements.

Exactly so for some of us.
I have decent desktop machines at work and at home, but the little Mac can ride around in a small, light notebook bag with me, and I can go on an assignment with everything I need -- and depart from anywhere, at that.
A little bag and a good phone, and I can also be fully available and ready to work from practically anywhere. And I got into mine for $650.
Nope, screen's not optimum, and my own basic early 2014 MBA 11" has its limitations (which I really rarely even approach, anyway). But its a reliable little smooth operator that travels extremely well. And, for someone who comes from a writer's background, that keyboard is downright sweet.
And I really like all of those characteristics, as I've never entirely warmed to tablets.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Did anyone see the rumors of a new entry level MacBook? :)

This could mean an updated MacBook Air, with new displays. New displays would be a given, since Apple have placed an order for new 13" panels. Surely, this would mean a Retina display finally.

It could also mean a 13" model of the current MacBook to replace the Air completely. What we would have then, would basically be the 12" MacBook replacing the old 11" MBA and a new 13" model to replace the current 13" MBA.

Either way, I'm excited, although we can pretty much count on the removal of the SD-slot, USB-A and MagSafe.

Reactions: Adelphos33

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

This could mean an updated MacBook Air, with new displays. New displays would be a given, since Apple have placed an order for new 13" panels. Surely, this would mean a Retina display finally.

It could also mean a 13" model of the current MacBook to replace the Air completely. What we would have then, would basically be the 12" MacBook replacing the old 11" MBA and a new 13" model to replace the current 13" MBA.

Either way, I'm excited, although we can pretty much count on the removal of the SD-slot, USB-A and MagSafe.
Update the panel and removing the ports will pretty much make the Air the same as the 12" MacBook.
I think it's more likely to be
12" MacBook
13" MacBook Pro
15" MacBook Pro

The Air will just be retired at some point. But whilst they keep selling them, they will keep making them.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Update the panel and removing the ports will pretty much make the Air the same as the 12" MacBook.
I think it's more likely to be
12" MacBook
13" MacBook Pro
15" MacBook Pro

The Air will just be retired at some point. But whilst they keep selling them, they will keep making them.

Please have a read: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/23/apple-new-entry-level-13-inch-macbook-this-year/

The order is for new 13" panels, not 12". Although DigiTimes have a mixed track record, this rumor is actually backed up by the supply chain, which has previously been a very good indicator of products to come.

Now, why would Apple source new 13" panels? Well hopefully they are developing a new product (or updating an existing) in which the Retina panels for the 13" MBP won't fit, or in which the TN panels sourced for the MBA will no longer cut it.

There is of course also the possibility that Apple just needs another supplier of panels for the MBP, but this seems unlikely.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Please have a read: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/23/apple-new-entry-level-13-inch-macbook-this-year/

The order is for new 13" panels, not 12". Although DigiTimes have a mixed track record, this rumor is actually backed up by the supply chain, which has previously been a very good indicator of products to come.

Now, why would Apple source new 13" panels? Well hopefully they are developing a new product (or updating an existing) in which the Retina panels for the 13" MBP won't fit, or in which the TN panels sourced for the MBA will no longer cut it.

There is of course also the possibility that Apple just needs another supplier of panels for the MBP, but this seems unlikely.
DigiTimes has a poor track record with regard to rumors.

If Apple is sourcing new 13" panels it doesn't imply a new or update to the Macbook Air. The 13" MBA stands out as an anomaly within the Apple notebook lineup. In all likelihood t is going to be discontinued relatively soon.

What is more likely, is a new 13" version of the 12" rMB or it will be used in the 13" rMBP

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
DigiTimes has a poor track record with regard to rumors.

If Apple is sourcing new 13" panels it doesn't imply a new or update to the Macbook Air. The 13" MBA stands out as an anomaly within the Apple notebook lineup. In all likelihood t is going to be discontinued relatively soon.

What is more likely, is a new 13" version of the 12" rMB or it will be used in the 13" rMBP

See my original post. Yes, they have a mixed track record with regards to rumors, but it has well-connected supply chain sources that have proven reliable at times in the past. This is a supply chain rumor.

Yes, so the second option that I posted in my original post. ;) A new 13" MB. I agree, it would make more sense. Two sizes for the MacBook and two for the Pro. However, for this to happen Apple will need to lower pricing. At $1299, it's still catering to a different market than the MacBook Air.

Here are a few DigiTimes supply chain rumors that turned out correct.

In October 2014, they pretty much revealed all of which would become the new MacBook. Core M, Silver/Gold/Space Gray, Mid-2015 launch. All correct - Touch Screen, however, wrong.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/08/apple-12-inch-macbook-entering-production/

In December 2014, they revealed the button-less trackpad.
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/22/12-inch-macbook-air-mass-production-early-2015/

In August 2015, they reported that Apple would NOT release an iPad Air 3.
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/14/apple-not-planning-ipad-air-3-digitimes/

In September 2015, mentioned that the iMac Retina 4K would launch in November. Correct.
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/09/imac-retina-4k-21-production/

In January 2016, among the first to report possible release dates of Skylake MacBooks. 12" MacBook in Q2 was correct, 13" MBP was wrong as it released together with the 15" model in Q4 (correct).
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/28/skylake-macbooks-2016-release-dates/

In April 2016, reported that new MBPs would use Metal-Injection-Mold hinges. Correct.
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/15/macbook-ultra-thin-hinges/

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada

I too heard of the rumours, though not attributed to any one source or reporting outlet.

My fear of a replacement of the Air is exactly that - an 'entry level MacBook'. The current base MacBook is arguably less capable - technically and external connectivity - than the final / current 11" / 13" Air, and at a significant price jump over them, too. Retina screen lovely, but it ain't worth the price hike.
So if the rumour is true, we'd end up with an even less adequate MacBook - corners cut to bring the price into the Air range? Does that sound like something Apple would do? Or hack away at the significant price margin on the older base MacBook, keeping the older tech onboard, to replace the Air - in favour of a new MacBook replacing it on the higher end? That sounds closer to their modus operandi.
If they can't convince users to drink the Kool-Aid and replace the Air with an iPad Pro, then they'll make the Air alternative so unpalatable as to force users to upgrade to a higher range (profit) MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.