All things vaping...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gav2k, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

** mod note, I don't know if this should be considered a prsi thread as opinions vary on 'vaping' **

Good morning guys,

Well I'm new to this whole vaping thing, I used a cheap supermarket clearomizer to quit smoking and now I'm taking my 'habit' into the big world of vaping.

YouTube has been a massive help on this and I've been watching a lot of videos by RiP Trippers which cover everything from the basics to very advanced stuff.

I've just received a kanger tech subvod kit as a step up from the cheapass thing I was using before, I wanted to to take this step before before getting my head around mods etc, I've got 1.5ohm coils to start as I like mouth to lung but I do have 0.5ohm coils to move over when I'm ready.

Juices juices juices, this is where I struggle. I used a tobacco flavoured ejuice with my clearomizer to quit smoking and now I'm overwhelmed by the choices. I plan on going up town in a couple of weeks to a juice cafe to try a few rather than spend a fortune on random juices as I don't really know what I like and don't like.

Anyway thought I'd put it out there and see what you guys like/don't like.

Gav

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I use an Innokin iSub G with 0.5 ohm coils. You'll almost certainly want to stick with sub-ohming once you try it, though it took me a while to.

For when you do switch, you'll need different juice. I was using 50/50 18 mg before and switched to 20/80 (sweet spot for sub-ohming capable clearos) 6 mg. And you likely already know this, but sub-ohming uses much more juice...I went from 2-3 ml/day to 7-8 ml/day.

I like http://www.giantvapes.com for higher end juice and http://www.mtbakervapor.com for bulk juice. If you like tobacco flavors though, http://www.halocigs.com now has a line of high VG juices intended for sub-ohming. Tribeca used to be my favorite juice, but over time I moved away from tobacco flavors.

And congrats on quitting smoking.

3. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

Thanks. It's good to be off them.

I'm based in the uk so American brands are harder to get.

I've ordered a couple of flavours that should be arriving today. Both are higher vg and both are 3mg nicotine.

4. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'm currently using a Aspire CF VV with a 2ml tank, currently using a liquid called Heisenberg I'd recommend that if you like things a bit fruity with a minty twist....

Battery life is good on it, I'd say about 3 days before it needs a charge, I'm not ready to transfer over to the walkie talkie e-cig's yet.

5. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's why I went with the subvod (picture below). I'm not a menthol kind of person... Fruity? I'll find out today lol

image.jpeg

I've got the u.s version of the above with the larger tank.

6. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Yeah looks very similar to mine, I assume you're not based in the UK, but the link below is where I get mine from.

That's also the Heisenberg one that I'm currently using.

http://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vampire-vape-e-liquid/heisenberg-high-vg-e-liquid-by-vampire-vape.html

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It should be fine here but let's see how the discussion develops. I'm more worried the thread will attract the attention of spammers. :(

8. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

9. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

Well my juices arrived 'Charlie's chalk dust honey badger' and '13th floor django' and I'll be passing on both. Have a strawberry one arriving tomorrow. If I don't like that then I'll be off to a juice cafe in London.

In all fairness I could stick with my cheapo clearomizer. It's only £3 for 10ml of tobacco flavour which is good value for money but it just leaves me wanting a bit more.

10. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Have there been any conclusive studies done that have proven vaping to be less dangerous than smoking? On the surface it seems pretty obvious that inhaling almost anything is safer than inhaling cigarette smoke...but have there been studies or proof shown that vaping is actually safer? I keep hearing conflicting reports - one source will say that vaping is perfectly safe and fine, and another source will state the opposite. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers by bringing this up, would just like to be better educated on the subject.

11. A.Goldberg, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Nothing yet, but it will likely take decades to have any conclusive results. That's not a good excuse to start if you're not already smoking.

Smoke, whichever way you cut it is harmful- whether it's tobacco- cigarettes, cigars, l hookah, or weed or burning wood. Users of E-cigs and "vapes" are inhaling vapor (nicotine, flavoring, and water) which in theory is safer.

That said, nicotine inherently is found to have some negative health consequences, including possible tumor promotion factors and the fact it is sticky (sticky gunk in blood usually isn't good).

There is also the concern of possible contamination of "vape juice", especislly in places with little health regulation (aka China) - but even in US these products have zero regulation.

There isn't much research out yet regarding their efficacy as a smoking cessation tool, but I would suspect they're not much more effective than tapering cigarettes. The pharmakokinetic profile is essentially the same as cigarettes which makes them a better substite than cessation tool.

I don't believe someone should pick up smoking one who has never smoked because they think they are somehow not harmful. While there isn't concrete evidence on long term effects of vaping, it's plausible nicotine and other chemicals within the "juice" do. Again, with zero regulation, no one really knows what they're getting. It's also not advisable to pick up a highly addictive substance in the first place. While nicotine is not heroin in terms of its ability to quickly destroy lives, it's a waste of money that has really no practical benefits (and don't say anxiety, as that's been proven not to be the case) and is extremely tough to kick.

I don't smoke but I have a plethora of patients who do, spending a good deal of my time in the addiction treatment field of psychiatry not to mentioning doing smoke cessation consults when I worked for the VA. They seem to at least be no worse than smoking ordinary cigarettes.

That said, I can't stand when I see people smoke these things inside. Sorry, but while they don't smell as bad as cigarettes, they do smell, the smell gives me a headache, and the plumes of vapor followed by a light haze (that will set off fire alarms) are distracting and drives me nuts. Please just vape outside.

That's my well balanced opinion from a clinical standpoint (Clinical Psychiatric PharmD).

12. caoimhin macrumors member

caoimhin

My instinct is that non-tobacco smokers may be attracted to vaping for various reasons. It can taste sweet and pleasant. It has an emerging subculture. It's being aggressively promoted (pop-up shops all around the US and UK) as a "hobby". In a way, it's similar to hookah smoking. Some might argue that there's some cache to it.

Indeed, maybe the "juice" -- which is really a benign name for something we know very little about -- is less harmful than traditional tobacco. But if a non-smoker picks up vaping as a habit/hobby, that person may be developing a nicotine addiction that they wouldn't have had otherwise.