All this hype for what should have been in 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by masterell, Jun 16, 2009.

1. masterell macrumors regular

I'll admit to this myself, but don't you guys just think that all this hype surrounding the 3.0 release is just for a bunch of features that should have really been on the phone wayyy earlier than now? Things like MMS, Video and Push - stuff which has been on other phones for soo long?

Should Apple really be getting a medal for this one?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't understand this....why complain? If people being this happy of something you think should have been here a while ago, why not just visit other parts of the forum?

Fact of the matter is this wasn't in 2.0, and people are excited to finally see it come out

3. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Okay, they should have. Apple can't implement all the thousands of features that each person wants. Whats the point of this thread?

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Regardless of if people think these features should have come out in 2.0, they're still coming out now in 3.0. A lot of other software platforms don't see as comprehensive updates, so many are glad that these features are coming regardless.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I'll concede that Apple/AT&T could/should have released MMS in 2.0. Video is crap on the first two iPhones, so I'll disagree with you all day long on that. I have jailbroken before so I know what quality it records at and it's unacceptable.

Push they tried to get it out for a 2.0+ update. Unfortunately at the time they bit off more than they could chew. At least it's finally coming. I'd rather have an efficient and well working system in place that I had to wait for it to be deployed than to pull my hair out because I was so frustrated with a piss-poor system.

6. masterell thread starter macrumors regular

Well like I said - I'm excited for this release too, but I just don't see why all these features weren't introduced earlier - basic things like being able to forward a message - something a Nokia 3210 could do weren't possible till now..

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

No one does...but hey, we're getting it now. Therefore 3.0 = GREAT.

8. The General macrumors 601

Who cares? We have it now. What is complaining going to do about it? You want me to put 3.0 on a thumb drive and go back in time and leak it to the interwebz? Because I have a time machine and could totally do that.

9. masterell thread starter macrumors regular

Wow - I don't really see what the need for the attitude is - especially considering this is a forum for discussion..or are you defending Apple here because you feel inclined to no matter what?

10. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Why do you think Apple didn't include the features?

1) They knew people would still buy the iPhone
    2) They needed things to make future updates/phones seem more attractive
    3) They wanted to make sure the test drove the hell out of the features so when ready to launch they would be great

Apple knows EXACTLY what they are doing, people are thrilled that Apple is finally bringing these features 2 years later and will hop right on the iPhone bandwagon.

11. Que macrumors 6502

it wasn't in 2.0.

it's in 3.0.

what more is there to discuss?

12. thekarsal macrumors newbie

I agree, people laughed when they first heard "the iPhone can't send MMS."

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its not an obligation to defend Apple, its a feeling of appreciation for the things that an iPhone can do, simply from a consumer stand point. Unless you work for Apple, you really don't have an understanding of what it takes to implement these changes, let alone include them in with all the other great things you can do on 2.0.

What is it that you really need now from the iPhone?

If you say background apps, you have zero leg to stand on.

At least Apple tries to improve. And improving on a great thing can be a dificult task.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Why would someone feel that way?(not saying people don't, just pointing out its silly)

So since you're not making threads which are only here to make issues, clearly...would you like to add something to the thread that isn't just calling people out? :D

15. masterell thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not - it's a discussion - people have now stated the reasons why Apple haven't incorporated this in earlier software releases, and others have also conceded that perhaps some necessary features should have been included.

There's no point in just saying "it wasn't in 2.0 but now it's here so stop your complaining' and not backing it up with evidence - because then your argument lacks basis and foundation.

Thanks to all the people in this post who have explained why features weren't included in earlier software releases. Your opinions are interesting to hear.

As far as background apps, I'm about as against them as anyone else - I just wondered why basic things like forwarding messages and MMS weren't included.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Fair enough....honestly, I think Apple just wants stuff to upgrade in there newest OS(I'm sure they also have to pick and choice, they only have so much time, but they could have focused on X over Y, but they picked Y because they think it was more important/useful)

17. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

The OP is %100 correct. Apple withheld all these features intentionally. And they are still doing with 3.0. They making a big deal about technology that is half a decade old on other smart phones. Video recording, wow.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

just be happy you're getting it at all....there's no use complaining about the past...

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, man - hook it up! :p

I too wish Apple had released 3.0 about a year ago. But they didn't. /thread

20. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

What's going to happens when 4.0 come out " Oh that should have been in 3.0", some people will never be happy.

21. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

yeah it should have been in 2.0 BUT i am not going to sit here and complain about it.. i am going to enjoy it and not cry over spilt milk

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

1. Nokia doesn't make a computing operating system that's been around for three decades.

2. Thus they've never had to take common API and shrink them down to phone sizes and phone level resources.

3. They've been doing it a lot longer.

That's all.

23. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Apple did the hard thing. They started from scratch and made something completely new. They did the same thing with OS X because OS 9 was a bloated mess.

Sure your Nokia can do X features, but is it anywhere as polished or will it sustain development for next-generation smartphones? I doubt it. Features take time to implement well. Nokia has been around a long time and they've developed their OS over a long period of time. Apple only recently started their mobile platform, give them a break.

The features will fill out later, what matters is the long term. All the cellphone makers who are still trying to tack-on new features to a rotten decaying OS are all the ones that suck.

24. aluren macrumors 65816

and whatever's on OS 4.0 should have been in 3.0.

25. Remoth macrumors newbie

Stop Complaining. Apple doesn't owe anyone anything. Just be glad you are getting these features at all. If Apple really wanted to, they could have left the iPhone the way it was at initial release and not added anything. You bought the phone the way it was, obviously this lack of "Features that should have been added in the first place", wasn't so bad that it kept you from getting the phone. If you buy it the way it is and you knew it was gonna be that way, you have no right to complain.... Of course if you bought it and it was supposed to come with all these features and then it didn't, then you can complain. But in all honesty, it didnt have to come with anything they did not announce. Get over it.