Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I dunno about the 5S. I'm seriously considering entering into a 2 year contract with a 5 soon. I'm sick of feeling so behind with my iPhone 4 and it's really showing its age. I can't see what the 5S will have that will make me wish I had it. I doubt we'll see the rumoured finger print sensor in an S generation but I'm guessing there will be a 5S only iOS 7 feature, anyone want to take a guess at what that might be?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
5S looks like it can have incredible battery life, more energy efficient screen, more energy efficient Apple A7 SoC?

were potentially looking at a quite dramatic battery life increase for the iphone

Woodibly

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
Supposing that picture IS for the next iPhone battery...

...doesn't the battery in the assembly picture look a good amount wider than the previously leaked "5S" battery?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
5S looks like it can have incredible battery life, more energy efficient screen, more energy efficient Apple A7 SoC?

were potentially looking at a quite dramatic battery life increase for the iphone

Na, It's probably gonna be like the 4S to the 5. Relatively the same. It might be slightly better, but I doubt they're making the screen more efficient, and the processor won't help..

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Na, It's probably gonna be like the 4S to the 5. Relatively the same. It might be slightly better, but I doubt they're making the screen more efficient, and the processor won't help..

what do you mean? the 5 battery is quite better then the 4S battery, same exact sized battery but the 5 manages to last longer on all frontiers then the 4S, all with a bigger screen, faster processor.

The apple a6 is more energy efficient then the apple a5 and thats why were able to get great lte browsing life performance on a i5

Apple manages every year to add about 1-2 hours on talk time, web browsing time, etc

Apple a7 will be more energy efficient then the apple a6

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
And who says they aren't iPhone 5 batteries that haven't been screen printed yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
so the battery is roughly 8% bigger, hopefully w/new ios 7 it'll be significantly better battery life?

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I believe the iPhones should have telekinetic function to recharge the batteries with movements. That is the technology they have to develop.

Mitchmalo

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
I could be mistaken, but I feel like iOS 7 is going to be more of a battery drainer than 6, just due to the nature of the overhauled UI after having the beta on my 4S for a couple of weeks. Also with the amount of white coloring in 7, I feel like this will also cause a decrease in battery life since all rgb pixels have to be lit to create the color, though maybe this wouldn't be significant enough to affect the battery.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
With the MBA, even with some of the issues plauging it that's bound to happen with a new machine with new processing architecture, not only saw a great increase of battery life so far, but is bound to be increased even further with the final build (and most likely 10.9.2) of Mavericks. Apple's increasing battery life by both hardware and software. Additionally, due to the iPhone's small size, the battery size considerations are greater than a MacBook, even the Air. More optimizations have to be made in addition to a battery increase. I'm thinking the A7 quad-core might have some sort of low-power optimizations not seen in previous A-series chips, and I'm hoping a retina display that's more efficient (IZGO please?) to boot. Add in 2GB RAM that I believe is necessary if the new multitasking features can be used well, and this device could very well actually last through an entire work day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt T

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I really want nothing more than a bigger/longer lasting battery for the 5S. If Apple announced iOS 7 and a bigger battery as the 5S' only features I'll still be happy.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
You have mistaken the RGB pixels light up system with AMOLED tech. Screen brightness not color is what affects the LCD tech's battery life.

I could be mistaken, but I feel like iOS 7 is going to be more of a battery drainer than 6, just due to the nature of the overhauled UI after having the beta on my 4S for a couple of weeks. Also with the amount of white coloring in 7, I feel like this will also cause a decrease in battery life since all rgb pixels have to be lit to create the color, though maybe this wouldn't be significant enough to affect the battery.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the backlight gets brighter because there is more white on the screen.

coolfilmaker

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I may be mistaken, but I don't think the backlight gets brighter because there is more white on the screen.

That makes no sense. If anything you would set the screen to be less bright because less light would be being blocked and more would be getting to your eyes.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
The iPhone 5S is expected to be introduced later this year, with the September timeframe being the most commonly claimed window for launch.

How does the word 'timeframe' help? Isn't September already a timeframe?
And I think you are misusing the term 'launch window'. Maybe you are just using it that way for 'style'.

Just sayin'

Actually, I wanted to ask a serious question.
I seems that everyone is using the name 5S like it is a done deal.
Has anyone offered some sturdy info to help us have confidence in this?

oh yeah, besides, "3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, ...."
That isn't really enough, in my opinion anyway.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I thought the battery on the 4s was smaller then this ...... Seems they made it larger ?

Maybe it's just me...

Are there two batteries in one large housing ? or just one big battery ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.