MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photos emerged online overnight that allegedly reveal the design of Fitbit's first "true" smartwatch, rumors of which we covered last month. The images were originally published by Yahoo Finance and appear to show that the company's upcoming Apple Watch rival looks very similar to the $150 Fitbit Blaze fitness watch, which has been on sale since early 2016.

fitbit-smartwatch-100720488-large.jpg

The watch's square face, physical buttons, and flexible elastomer wristband closely resemble the company's Blaze. Several Fitbit employees who saw the design are said to have complained about it, according to previous reports.

Specifications of the smartwatch, which is said to be codenamed "Higgs" internally, include a color display with 1,000 nits of brightness similar to the Apple Watch Series 2, built-in GPS, heart-rate monitoring, a full-fledged app store, contactless payments, storage for music, Pandora support, and four days of battery life. The $300 watch was previously thought to have an aluminum unibody design that supports swappable watch bands.

The smartwatch was initially said to be launching this spring, but technical problems have reportedly plagued the product and the company is now thought to be aiming for a fall release.

Fitbit is also rumored to be releasing a pair of Bluetooth earbuds similar in design to Apple's BeatsX buds. Codenamed "Parkside" internally, the $150 wireless earbuds will hang around the neck and be marketed as an accessory for the forthcoming smartwatch.

A lot is riding on the success of Fitbit's upcoming products, after the company faced one of its "largest declines ever" in the fourth quarter of 2016, which resulted in layoffs of about 6 percent of its staff. Although the company remained above Apple Watch in the number of units shipped, it has gradually been losing market share to rivals Apple and Xiaomi.

Article Link: Alleged Leaked Fitbit Photos Show Upcoming Smartwatch Looks Like a Blaze

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Watch looks slim and beautiful, but i will still perfer apple watch over this

Last edited:
Comment

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
I have to admit that this one looks quite sexy. But I will still not buy it.

Comment

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
I'm happy with my Blaze, it does one job quite well without all the complications of a smart watch. If I had to choose between Fitbit smartwatch and an Apple watch, then I may as well go with the latter. Can't see this turning out well for them.

Comment

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
With space so scarce on the wrist the large chin/bezel seems wasteful.

Comment

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
With space so scarce on the wrist the large chin/bezel seems wasteful.
The Blaze is nice, light and surprisingly comfortable. I'm guessing this smartwatch will be heavier. Still, the current Fitbits will still be around for some time to come. Let's hope this venture doesn't bankrupt them.

Comment

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
It follows the design that Fitbit has been using for the Alta and some other devices. Not really too surprising to see this as their new watch design.

Comment

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Watch looks slim and beautiful, it will be a tough fight for apple watch
What? It looks terrible...Why are the bezels so thick?? Why did they put "Fitbit" right there on the front under the screen? It won't be much cheaper than the Apple Watch, and they are having trouble getting the GPS and waterproofing right, so they're going to be a year behind on that as well. Good luck to them, but this looks awful, and does not seem like a comparable option to the Apple Watch at all.

Attachments

• fitbit_blaze_lineup.jpg
    fitbit_blaze_lineup.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 5,966
Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
Fitbit is also rumored to be releasing a pair of Bluetooth earbuds similar in design to Apple's BeatsX buds. Codenamed "Parkside" internally, the $150 wireless earbuds will hang around the neck and be marketed as an accessory for the forthcoming smartwatch.

I hope these have heart-rate tracking. I think there is a market for earbuds that reliably track heartrate, but none of the current offerings are very good. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/hear-the-pulse-heart-rate-monitoring-fitness-earbuds-tested/

Comment

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
What? It looks terrible...Why are the bezels so thick?? Why did they put "Fitbit" right there on the front under the screen? It won't be much cheaper than the Apple Watch, and they are having trouble getting the GPS and waterproofing right, so they're going to be a year behind on that as well. Good luck to them, but this looks awful, and does not seem like a comparable option to the Apple Watch at all.
That's because the images show the current Fitbit Blaze lineup and these are not the proposed Smart Watch.

Comment

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I have an Apple Watch and a Fitbit Blaze. Both are well designed, the Apple Watch feels higher quality but, the Fitbit blaze having a gap between the bezel and watch band allows more air in and less sweat. It's a really great design.

On a 30 mins bike ride the inside of my AW will be dripping wet, the Fitbit Blaze will be nearly dry.

Sure, the Apple Watch has an App store but really, I think all we need are great fitness tracking along with a way to con-tactlessly pay for things and notifications.

Apple wins 2 out of 3
Fitbit wins Fitness tracking (the app, fitness aspect is a millions times better than AW)
[doublepost=1493737260][/doublepost]If Fitbit makes a watch it has to have removable watch bands!

Comment

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Isn't Fitbit supposed to be using their Pebble acquired technology here? Interested to see what they do with the E-Ink tech. I still get 7 days of battery life out of my Pebble.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Isn't Fitbit supposed to be using their Pebble acquired technology here? Interested to see what they do with the E-Ink tech. I still get 7 days of battery life out of my Pebble.

"Pebble's acquired Technology?" You mean how E-Ink has been around for years and is completely dated. E-Ink serves its purpose for the minimalistic display and low power draw, but Pebble's technology was one of the reasons they failed as a company, they remained stagnant and would not graduate to newer technology, not to mention Apple and Fitbit were reasons with advancements of their own. By the time Pebble actually tried to make changes with adding a heart rate sensor and fitness options, etc., it was already too little too late for them.

You may still get seven days of battery life out of your Pebble Watch, but that's not enough to save a company from failing to innovate and bring necessary changes to keep them afloat.

I also believe Pebble was bought out from Fit bit, was because Fitbit wants to gain as much control of the wearable market as possible.

Last edited:
Comment

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Someday Fitbit will design a tracker that looks good. That day has yet to come

Comment

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
"Pebble's acquired Technology?" You mean how E-Ink has been around for years and is completely dated. E-Ink serves its purpose for the minimalistic display and low power draw, but Pebble's technology was one of the reasons they failed as a company, they remained stagnant and would not graduate to newer technology, not to mention Apple and Fitbit were reasons with advancements of their own. By the time Pebble actually tried to make changes with adding a heart rate sensor and fitness options, etc., it was already too little too late for them.

You may still get seven days of battery life out of your Pebble Watch, but that's not enough to save a company from failing to innovate and bring necessary changes to keep them afloat.

I also believe Pebble was bought out from Fit bit, was because Fitbit wants to gain as much control of the wearable market as possible.
Pebble was the only company that I've ever seen that was able to get stutter free animations on color e-ink displays to market. That was truly glorious of them. It's a shame the company was a one trick pony, I loved my (original) pebble until I got an Apple Watch.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Pebble was the only company that I've ever seen that was able to get stutter free animations on color e-ink displays to market. That was truly glorious of them. It's a shame the company was a one trick pony, I loved my (original) pebble until I got an Apple Watch.

Pebble did a lot of things right. Their CEO, Eric Migicovsky became complacent in a shaky wearable market and undermined the companies opportunity to expand the product line. When they finally did, Apple impacted the market. Also, I feel Pebble failed to market their product line appropriately, which I am shocked how many had no idea Pebble was even in a player in this game. I don't recall seeing any advertisements boasting their line up besides through Kick Starter.

Comment

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Almost 2 years now with my Pebble Time Round and nothing has come out that remotely interests me to replace it. I'm contemplating buying another one as a backup but I'm worried that iOS 11 or some other update will break some of the functionality and that'll be it with no one to support and update the App.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.