Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Hey guys, this game is really good from what I've seen my friends play on windows. Really nice game, check it out here http://allods.gpotato.com/

I'd love to play with them but don't want to bootcamp!
What are my options ? Would it be possible for anyone to create a way to play it like someone did with guildwars and the cod4 demo?

I will seriously love you forever if you do, and I think loads of other mac people would aswel. It's a great game!

Thanks alot guys!!!

No one's atall interested??

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No one's atall interested??

The amount of work involved in installing an unknown MMO requires some research prior to making such a commitment. The screenshots look ok. Without doing any research, my biggest fear is that this is just one of those oriental grinder mmos... I might run over to MMO.com and see if there is any buzz there about this game. Thanks for mentioning it.

Try an emulator to run Windows on OS X and install it there..

Bootcamp, not emulator! :)

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Nice one mate. I think you'll find there is quite alot of hype around this one have a look at youtube aswel, reviews for the open beta so far have been awesome too.

Keep me updated pal.

Cheers

The amount of work involved in installing an unknown MMO requires some research prior to making such a commitment. The screenshots look ok. Without doing any research, my biggest fear is that this is just one of those oriental grinder mmos... I might run over to MMO.com and see if there is any buzz there about this game. Thanks for mentioning it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Translated into gameplay it was simple - free players could not compete in PvP at all. In PvE, they were on their own because paying players would inspect them, laugh at their "free" gear, and not invite them to party.

On the other hand, if you're a mostly solo-, adventure- or RP-minded player, you could indefinitely enjoy it for free. For me, though, I like to feel like I'm a part of things, and I had to choose between dropping $200+ into the item shop to upgrade my gears to max, or quit the game. I quit the game.

Edit: This quote concerns Runes of Magic another "free but pay" MMO. My intent was not to mislead, my apologies.

Is this an exaggeration? Read more here.

If you want to see something interesting, look at this list of mmorpg.com mmos and see how many of the "free" ones utilize "item malls". :)

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Is this an exaggeration? Read more here.

If you want to see something interesting, look at this list of mmorpg.com mmos and see how many of the "free" ones utilize "item malls". :)

This is the full quote..

To give everyone an idea where I'm coming from ...

Runes of Magic was a fun game early on. It had an interesting class/subclass system. It had a reasonably interesting grind full of various, well-developed things to do (quest, craft, grind, dungeons... all worked as you would hope).
The problems became apparent end-game. In RoM, any piece of gear can be "drilled" to put up to 3 rune slots into it. You can also use "jewels" to add "plusses" to items. If you got an epic drop from an end-game dungeon, it would usually have 1-2 rune slots. Free players could stick a rune into that slot, and then use a jewel to achieve +1 (which would slightly increase stats). You COULD use in-game items to boost up to +6, but you had to play a lottery of sorts. Once you're passed +1, you have a chance to fail with jewels, which would SUBTRACT one upgrade. So, you could add +1, then +2, then fail and back to 1. It cost millions to try to upgrade to +6, as well as an hour or two and a lot of frustrating attempts...
Paying players could get jewels that DONT fail (meaning +6 takes a few $$ and 20 seconds) and "drills" to add an extra rune slot. Adding slots and plusses could increase the stats on an item THREEFOLD - meaning free players get 1/3 the benefit from their gear as paying players.
Translated into gameplay it was simple - free players could not compete in PvP at all. In PvE, they were on their own because paying players would inspect them, laugh at their "free" gear, and not invite them to party.
On the other hand, if you're a mostly solo-, adventure- or RP-minded player, you could indefinitely enjoy it for free. For me, though, I like to feel like I'm a part of things, and I had to choose between dropping $200+ into the item shop to upgrade my gears to max, or quit the game. I quit the game.

He is clearly talking about a different game called Runes of Magic or RoM. :rolleyes:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
He is clearly talking about a different game called Runes of Magic or RoM. :rolleyes:

Attention to detail, I was clearly lacking and have corrected my post.:eek: After looking over the very long list of "free but pay" MMOs I wonder how much money is required to be competitive in any of them? The ROM quote where regarding parties, they would look you over and reject if you were equipped with just the free stuff really got my attention.

Here is one more quote and it does concern Allods. Keep in mind it is just one person's opinion:
Well I've given the game a fair try in CB3 and 4, and doing now the "open beta", I quote that because it's actually release since you get to keep your characters.

Pros:
- Has good (yet not great) graphics.
- Great music and English voice overs.
- So far every class is genuinely fun.
- The skill and talent system are pretty big (specially the talents) so customization and uniqueness of character is very high.
- The first days sure looked and felt like other "big paid MMO" release days and the servers held (after the initial crash of 1h) and have only been taken down once for a scheduled maintenance which was announced long before time in the forums.
- Encounter lock, no more KSing, if you touched it first, it's yours no matter how much damage others do to it.
- Death seems to be similar to what AoC wanted to do originally, you get ported to a underworld room of sorts and you have to wait for a time before getting respawned.

Cons:
- The quest collecting system is once for all, aka 40 players need to gather 5 logs, there's only 2 spawning and when it's collected it disappears, so it's pretty hellish to get quests done.
- There's no GM moderation whatsoever, so you can imagine how childish, insulting and just overall awful the chat is.
- If you don't have an instant range spell you most likely won't finish a single kill quest for a good 30-45mins even if you're at the spot.
- Simplistic chat, can't add new tabs...heck there's only one tab, it resets to default when you log off or zone, have to type /zone or /raid every time you want to keep talking in the same channel, it doesn't stay in your last used channel, there's no auto reply to tells/whispers and there's no option to appoint it to a key either.
- Respawn points after death are pretty far and apart so if you had to release during a raid, it will take a long trip back.

In Between:
- Crafting and Gathering, regular ones you see in most MMO, but you can only have one at the beginning as it costs to buy the books to learn the skills, the first book is pretty cheap but the second one is extremely expensive, would take 20 levels or so to get enough money to get it.
- Bag and bank spaces are very small, unknown yet but it seems that the only way to expand the bag is via quest or with the item shop, and the bank might also fall under the item shop.
- Respec like the bag, you can do it once via a quest but after that is via the item shop.

Allods overall is a nice game to kill time between paid MMO's or if you're waiting for a certain one to release, but the quality you get from the game is not enough to spend money on it.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Nope - World of Warcraft takes all my gaming time.

+1!

Just got my first Alliance to Burning Crusade! Always played horde before. It has been a blast on this new character, although I do mostly solo stuff as opposed to a lot of raiding I did with my other characters.

My Paladin is a Multi-Mob killing machine and I love it!

I don't see how any free, or even free to play, MMO will be able to keep the game interesting like the monthly fee based MMOs.

aerring

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011

this game is bad ass. i play it all the time. well, not lately cause of work and school, but when you have ample time to waste it's loads of fun. great wow alternative.

i've tried running it through an emulator but it was laggy as hell. i actually caved and dual-booted to windows 7 just for this game.

you get a lot of cool, unique classes in allods. great world, cool pvp with astral ships and awesome races. the arisen are pretty cool. undead/robot things with ancient egyptian style.

their healers can be amazing dpsers as well. my best character is a melee healer (oxymoron?) lol. anyway, it's fun. and worth it if you wanna dual boot to play it. it's the closest thing to wow that i've played that's free.

aerring

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
this game is bad ass. i play it all the time. well, not lately cause of work and school, but when you have ample time to waste it's loads of fun. great wow alternative.

i've tried running it through an emulator but it was laggy as hell. i actually caved and dual-booted to windows 7 just for this game.

you get a lot of cool, unique classes in allods. great world, cool pvp with astral ships and awesome races. the arisen are pretty cool. undead/robot things with ancient egyptian style.

their healers can be amazing dpsers as well. my best character is a melee healer (oxymoron?) lol. anyway, it's fun. and worth it if you wanna dual boot to play it. it's the closest thing to wow that i've played that's free.

ah, and it is free to play, not run by item shop.

people will try to tell you that you can't play it well without paying real money, and they're just reading old reviews when a new patch first came out sort of making that happen. since then, they've fixed that.

there are items called "incense" that give you a 50% damage and healing boost that you can buy in the item shop (real money) so people assumed to be good you had to buy those. in the beginning of the game you're given 7 of them for free (each one lasts 24 real time hours, so it's a free week of awesomeness, but you don't have to use them all at once). once you get to level 15/16, you'll get a quest leading you to the rune master dude who will give you a repeatable daily quest that's just a matter of running around a few minutes in-game delivering things to npcs. you get an incense for that and a scroll that gives you double experience for half an hour. again, daily quest.

there's also someone you can talk to in both the empire and the league that will give you 4 free hours of the incense buff. so if you're not gonna be online long, you don't have to waste an incense to get the buff.

the other things you can buy in the item shop are purely luxury items. like bigger bags, mounts (which don't even increase your speed that much), "outfits" that you can trade (they don't bind to you) or sell for in game coins and whatnot. so honestly it is purely free to play, no catch.

wow, they should pay me for advertising their damn game.

aerring

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
+1!

Just got my first Alliance to Burning Crusade! Always played horde before. It has been a blast on this new character, although I do mostly solo stuff as opposed to a lot of raiding I did with my other characters.

My Paladin is a Multi-Mob killing machine and I love it!

I don't see how any free, or even free to play, MMO will be able to keep the game interesting like the monthly fee based MMOs.

also, you'd be surprised. allods has had a lot of money put into it and is growing fast, getting new things with every update. with each major update they've released a new zone. if it were around as long as wow has been, it would probably be pretty competitive with it.

aerring

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
also, you'd be surprised. allods has had a lot of money put into it and is growing fast, getting new things with every update. with each major update they've released a new zone. if it were around as long as wow has been, it would probably be pretty competitive with it.

okay, after this post i'll stop.

my favorite thing about this game is the talent tree. you're given a talent point each level, and after hitting level ten you open up a ruby grid, and can get rubies to unlock more abilities. this means that you have certain "builds" and you can't just buy all of your abilities and do whatever you want like in wow. based on how you progress your character your role will change. so you can have a totally different character than somebody else with the same race and class. if you check the forums you'll see that there are certain successful builds posted that people tend to follow, but you can get as creative as you want in what you want your character to be.

for instance i've got a healer than can own a paladin or warrior in pvp and does dps and can tank. on top of that, she can heal herself without stopping to charge the ability, so she's pretty epic.

if you screw up your stats or talent grid, though (and you can't, really...you might hit a point at which things might be more difficult for you depending on your build, but you can always pull out of a rut) you would have to pay to reset your stats. even if you did this like ten times a month you still wouldn't spend as much as people do on wow every month, so it's all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.