Almost a Safari 3 Convert...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brbubba, Jun 11, 2007.

1. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Alright I gave Safari another shot today with the Beta release, and it ain't too shabby. I may have to switch permanently from firefox. So far here's my shortlist of the ugly side of safari for me.

- I'm tired of staring at brushed metal. Not a huge deal, just needed to throw that in there, ha ha.
    - I want my tabs to display the website icon. I'm a visual guy, I can navigate through tabs much much faster if I can see that little icon in there.
    - On that same note, I want my bookmarks to display the same website icon.
    - if I open a new tab from a link, open it in the next tab over, stop making it jump all the way to the right! This is extremely annoying if I have ten tabs open.
    - Auto session restore. When I open my browser I want my previous session to load. I don't want to click history and then load all windows from previous session.
    - More options/give me plugins. I love some of my plugins on firefox.

I think I will give it a week and see what happens. Gotta say that Firefox for OS X just SUCKS. The thing crashes weekly, and is way too slow. I would love to have a browser with the speed and small footprint of Camino, but with all the features of Firefox.

2. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Maybe Firefox 3 will be better.

Have you tried Shiira? It has some good features, based off webkit so it's as fast as Safari.. if not faster..

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not sure the brushed metal will go away before Leopard, but I guess if they did it in iTunes, we might see it in beta.

This should help with the session restore:
    Try the "History->Reopen All Windows From Previous Session"

Been running 3.0 all afternoon/evening, and it seems stable. Speed is most definitely improved over 2.0.

4. indraunt macrumors newbie

You might want ot check this out if you haven't already:

pimpmysafari.com

SafariStand will give you thumbnail tabs down the side if you want, it'll also save your sessions.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

StandStand and some other plug-ins don't get along well with the Safari 3 Beta.

6. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Camio got a lot of features you mentioned there.

7. brbubba thread starter macrumors 6502

brbubba

Yeah I have been doing that, but whats annoying is that it leaves the initial startup window open, so then I have to close it. I just want to open Safari and see my last session right there. At least throw in an option for it in preferences.

I should also add that the icons in my bookmarks have shown up! No clue why they decided to show up 24 hours after first visiting the site, but they are there. Still gotta say someone needs to invent something that will have your browser hit every website on your bookmark list just to download those little icons.

Camino just needs to add plugins and it will be my dream browser. What made me drop Camino like a sack of potatoes was the lack of session restore. That's a HUGE make or break deal. I typically have 5+ tabs open and many times most of those tabs are links I leave up that I need to get back to later, but aren't worthy of a full bookmark. So many times before I can read them so many things can happen, the browser can crash, I will have to restart, etc., so that I lose the page.

8. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Safari 3 seems very stable for me. I haven't experienced any issues other than plugins not loading, which is to be expected. I still would love aliases and the ability to specify that all links always open in a new tab, though. If I had those, I'd definitely use Safari as my full-time browser. Also, WebKits compatibility with websites it used to stutter with has been much improved.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

IE7 (which I use on my Windows machine) annoys me. Firefox annoys me also, though I like Camino (go figure).

So, I'm going to see if I can stick with Safari on Windows for a bit - even though I'll be staying with Camino on OS X.

10. brbubba thread starter macrumors 6502

brbubba

What the heck, Camino just released a new version a week ago and I didn't know about it!!! Apparently they added session restore!

Hmm now its a showdown between camino and safari...

I gotta say though that Safari 3 crashed already on me. I was opening a PDF and bam, it just quit.

11. Llywen macrumors newbie

I've been trying safari over the last 24 hours on my windows box so far so good...one thing that is kind of annoying is the lack of the drop down button to the right of address area on the toolbar. It's the button that opens a drop down menu with the recent URL's you've typed in. With firefox/ie I've gotten into the habit of using that menu as a quick way to visit 10 - 12 of my favorite websites.

Is there a way to add that to safari...or do I need to learn a new trick? :)

12. brbubba thread starter macrumors 6502

brbubba

Well that does it, I am sticking with Safari for now. Firefox hasn't been opened for 18+ hours or so... The few bugs I have encountered are much better than the slowdowns and crashed of Firefox on OS X.

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The final release will be missing the brushed metal look, but if you have the developer tools installed, you can get rid of it right now.

First, quit Safari.
    Using Finder, go to Applications, right/ctrl click Safari and select "Show Package Contents".
    Move down into Contents/Resources/English.lproj
    Double click Browser.nib. This will open the Interface Builder app.
    Select Window in the Browser.nib box (the window that contains the tab buttons Instances/Classes/Images/Sounds/Nib) and enter shift-command-I or select Tools/Show Inspector.
    Deselect "Has texture" and select "Unified title/toolbar look".
    Save and exit Interface Builder.
    Relaunch Safari

Edit: you can do this for any other brushed metal app.

14. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Awesome. This is the main reason I use Saft, but it doesn't work with the beta.

15. brbubba thread starter macrumors 6502

brbubba

Great tip!

I didn't have the developer tools installed though and no CD handy so I just installed something called Unifier, which does the trick. Although it is for application enhancer, which I am sure many people don't like. I already had it installed for other stuff so no big deal.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

UNO works great :)