Almost every product needs an update!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by papadopolis1024, Apr 27, 2007.

1. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

I was looking at the mac rumors buying guide and almost all of apples products are due for an update!

The iPod and the Nano is getting close.

the Mac book pro is over due
    the Mac book is coming close
    and the mac mini and iMac are both over due!

so 6 of apples products are over due or about to be.

IMO after looking at the buying guide I would not buy anything! (except a Mac pro and there are rumors about it and WWDC so I might not even do that)
    I think we will see several updates VERY soon.

EDIT I would buy a shuffle. but thats it.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

You don't say.... :p

Bit of a no brainer that statement...

3. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Yup, now for the future buyers they can only choose to wait until they are updated or just bite the bullet now.

4. Applenewb macrumors member

some would say the processor upgrade on the mac pro still justifies a refresh

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Actually the MacBook Pro and MacBook are not really over due. They are getting to be due soon. It has been 6 months or so on each which is avg. There aren't any new chipsets available or processors yet. Apple is waiting on Intel and we are waiting on Apple. That's just how it goes now. The iMac has been 6 weeks longer since an update but again there really isn't any way to update it till Santa Rosa, just like the notebooks. The Mini is overdue, but you have to remember that Apple looks at it as an entry level machine and there maybe a reason they're holding it back - to differentiate the line more. The Nano is also fine, while the iPod could definitely use an update, I think the next one will be quite significant, i.e. touchscreen and wifi. And you forget, Apple TV just came out, so get one of those instead of a shuffle. Personally I would like to see the Mac Pro get the SS motherboard and the displays get updated.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

remember - that buying guide just goes off average times between updates. That was a more useful indicator when apple used PPC chips and we didn't know what was coming. But now that apple uses intel and we know when the next gen chips will arrive, the average times between updates are much less relevant.

On a somewhat related note, I only sort of agree that every product needs an update. Yes, it has been a while for all of them, but they all (except for the mini) use the best chips available for them at this point. There's nothing better than a 2.33 Ghz merom to put in the macbook pro yet, so what do you want apple to do?

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Based on Apples recent profit and sales numbers I would say they will be in no hurry to update much of anything. :D

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

there are lot's of other updates possible beyond a faster cpu. most notably a price drop (won't happen, i know).

but i agree, in order to make a really worthwhile update you also need faster/better processors.

and i don't care that there are new products like ATV or iPhone. i want computers and nothing else! if it was for me they can keep producing the same ipods as now for the next 20 years and i would be happy. they play music and that's it. what i need are faster, better notebooks (for less money but that won't happen). and then i need improved software like ilife, iwork.

9. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    What's that giant sucking sound coming out of Apple? Oh yeah, its the diversion of all its resources to the iPhone.

10. volntitan macrumors 6502

Back and forth...

I am in the market to buy an 17" imac for my wife and I was going to get it this weekend locally and not pay sales tax, along with my wife's education discount. Our sales tax is 9.25%, so it is pretty significant savings. But then I saw where some were saying "updates coming...wait!". Any advice? Not like we have to have one right away, but we do have to get it this weekend to take advantage of my wife's education discount, PLUS the tax free weekend in Tennessee. We are basically looking for a computer to do light work...wp, internet, iTunes....

11. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Wait till June 11 keynote...

12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Go ahead and get the iMac. I am sure whatever upgrade to come by June 11th, if one does, probably doesn't compare to saving the sales tax for you. For what you are interesting in using the computer for, an update won't mean anything, as the current iMacs are very quick.

13. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

You are probably better off buying one on amazon, unless you want custom features or something. No tax, and normally has some rebates.

And yeah i'd wait.

14. volntitan macrumors 6502

But Amazon doesn't honor the education discout....

15. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP! :) Seriously though, like others have said, there isn't much to update at this point until something new comes along from Intel. It's not like it's any different over at Dell or HP these days either.

16. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

While the MR community might feel that the current array of hardware is quite antiquated, we must remember that the vast majority of Mac buyers aren't keeping up with chipset releases and hardware cycle averages. To them, correctly, Macs simply look better and are more user friendly their PC's. Apple really has no reason to be in a hurry to update comsumer machines (although I feel that the Pro machines should always be updated as frequently as possible).

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The lack of sales tax EASILY makes up for it, and the $150 rebate on the MBPs...

18. robPOD macrumors 6502

The iPod is way overdue for an update, the 5.5 was really a minor revision.

19. AVID macrumors member

AVID

i agree with [BSL4 Guy] we're amongst a minority who recognises that mac lineup is due for update, the rest of the consumers are still buying products left-right-centre. Furthermore i'm dont think our restraints are going to affect apple's decisions.

(My brother just bought an ipod (video), despite the fact that i told him it is due for update very soon.... - some people either dont know or just dont care)

20. volntitan macrumors 6502

Personally, we are looking at an iMac 17" which only has a $75 rebate, so with no sales tax and the education discount, it would still be cheaper and we would be buying it locally.

21. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

way to read the whole post. :rolleyes:

fyi, he said that it's a tax holiday this weekend + he gets his wife's edu discount. Apple is def. the better buy in this case - especially considering he doesn't have to wait or hassle with rebates.

buy the computer now - no way will any update be worth the extra cost and the wait for what you're using it for.

22. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm thinking wait until WWDC to get a MBP and as the anticipation mounts Steve walks out on stage and spends 2 hours talking about the iPhone release and Leopard. No word of MBP updates and I waited all that time for nothing...again. I'm getting mine next month.

23. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Precisely. They've said that's the reason for no Leopard, but maybe it's also the reason for no iLife, and overdue hardware updates.

24. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'm waiting for the iPod nano upgrade. They need to divert all resources from the iPhone temporarily, then shift back again.

25. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It's still pretty nice. ;)
    I'm glad I got it when I did rather than wait for the fabled full iPod, anyway.
    I've realised that on the go, I'd use it for music but I've gotten umpteen hours out of using it with a dock and plugging it into a TV.

People need to stop being so hyper about this waiting game.
    We know when the chips are coming but what difference will they make, really?
    The Macbooks and Minis will get use out of the X3000 but that's about it.

The 4G iPod one month before the 5G infuriated me, though. :)

EDIT: Also, 5.5G was a decent upgrade.
    Brighter screens,
    Search,
    Bigger storage capacity
    Better battery life,
    Higher resolution video output.
    That's not bad. The 640x480 really beats the 320x240 video if you can get it. :)