Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
NGL I was mesmerized by the ingenuity of Dynamic Island when I first saw it during the keynote. I looked forward to the new iPhone but most of all looked forward to “taking a trip” to Dynamic Island. Well, the trip was sweet and short. The good thing about Dynamic Island is that it’s very subtle, never in your face. Maybe that’s because hardly any apps take advantage of it yet. Understandably, it’s still in its infancy, and because its primary job is status updates, it requires very little user interaction, if any at all. The thing is that there’s only so much excitement and joy one can derive from a status bar. Although Dynamic Island may seem like an overhyped place to visit, I do believe it will end up having the biggest impact on user experience over time as it matures.

But for now, iPhone 14 Pro minus Dynamic Island is just a very, how do I say it without causing fracas, a very underwhelming iPhone, especially if you’re coming from iPhone 13 Pro like me.

/coolstory

Last edited by a moderator:

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I'm still a bit baffled that people were so impressed after the keynote. We got exactly what was rumored beforehand. To be fair, "Dynamic Island" is a clever software implementation around the necessary evil that are the camera and Face ID sensors, but some people were acting like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. At the end of the day it's literally just a redesigned status bar. Even if its implementation is fantastic, how much is your user experience really influenced by it beyond "oh, that's a neat visualization of my currently playing audio"?

I switched from an iPhone X to the 13 Pro last year and had a similar experience to what you've described. Even with the smaller notch and the better cameras, how much is your day to day usage really improved by a new iPhone? Outside of power users that really use the camera extensively every day and thus benefit from the year over year upgrades, the majority of your apps are going to be the same that they were on last year's iPhone.

Ted_Appleseed

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Chicago, IL
As an iPhone 13 Pro Max user, tbh I would expect less shock for this update than my 11 Pro Max -> 13 Pro Max update. 11 to 13 was a huge leap forward. Larger screen, way better camera, and new design (plus I picked a different color, from Midnight Green to Silver). 13 to 14? Basically the same vibe. I even chose the same Silver color because I decided to stick with it.

But I updated anyway because the camera update is radical. For my video editing hobby, I use my 13 Pro Max as my primary video recording device in 4K HDR. Action mode is a must-have for me. Plus, the 48MP photo is a big one since my 5s->6s update (I think it was from 8MP to 12MP). I may be used to Dynamic Island, although it's pretty new, and I will definitely like it. Look forward to more third-party apps supporting Dynamic Island. Plus the always-on display, which is something I probably won't go back from (love my Apple Watch Series 6, upgraded from Series 4). So when I get the machine, I may realize that I'm wrong, and it will give me some new feeling about using the iPhone.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
For those bored with an iPhone, here's what I did. I bought a clean/used Google Pixel 5. See how the other half lives and copes with no Apple in an Apple-centric country like the U.S. Swap the SIM card over and you're an Android user.

What I found was that the most boring thing about the iPhone is that everything just works. Honestly, Android these days isn't bad. And it can be fun adjusting/adapting to a new ecosystem. Gmail account for the Pixel, .Mac account for the iPhone. I love the Google Calendar and the graphics for events. On the downside, no Apple Pay - but Gpay is decent. Android Auto is a step down from Apple's Car Play. The Pixel 5 is light! Feels like an iPhone shell with all the guts removed. And it's durable too. Decent but uninspiring camera.

Makes a decent backup phone in case something goes wrong with the iPhone. A family member just took an overseas trip and wanted an unlocked phone to use with local SIM cards. The Pixel 5 was just what was needed, especially in countries that are more Android/less Apple.

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
The landscape face unlock works great. Haven’t properly tried the ProRaw, will try that tomorrow. The days of upgrades as significant as the Treo to iphone are truly behind us😢

Attachments

• F429FF51-42A3-416E-97F7-75A49B33AB17.jpeg
    F429FF51-42A3-416E-97F7-75A49B33AB17.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 148
  • BFD7FA71-07E5-4EFC-852B-F6D5C9BE8972.jpeg
    BFD7FA71-07E5-4EFC-852B-F6D5C9BE8972.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 157

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
I own the iPhone 13 Pro Max coming from iPhone X, so I will probably upgrade once the foldable iPhone comes out; after seeing how my friend uses his galaxy fold. honestly I find it really fun and cool the way he uses it for webcam for his pc and when he is bored he uses it like a Nintendo ds for gaming

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Was the same last year when I went from 12 -13 max, wife got the 12, didn't bother this year as no one wants the 13 max, and not giving away a $2kaud phone for less than $1300 which FB is flooded with at that price, and they are not selling.
Most normal people have better things to spend their money on this year with inflation, interest rates rising, and the cost of living through the roof.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Is it your first year on year upgrade? It is for me as well, and I had a similar feeling.

Previously, I went from an iPhone 11 to the 13 Pro Max. Hell of an upgrade. I was expecting the same thing this time going from the 13 Pro Max to the 14 Pro Max. After upgrading I do wonder if it was worth it. It's definitely a better phone, just not the same level of change.

But I can sell my 13 Pro Max and recoup a decent amount since it is in pristine condition, not to mention I also saved on tax as I purchased the phone through salary sacrifice with work.

I suppose what I'm getting now is the satisfaction of always being on the latest, not dealing with any battery degradation, and selling my old device before it depreciates any further. It's just a different feeling to doing a huge upgrade.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Is it your first year on year upgrade? It is for me as well, and I had a similar feeling.

Previously, I went from an iPhone 11 to the 13 Pro Max. Hell of an upgrade. I was expecting the same thing this time going from the 13 Pro Max to the 14 Pro Max. After upgrading I do wonder if it was worth it. It's definitely a better phone, just not the same level of change.

But I can sell my 13 Pro Max and recoup a decent amount since it is in pristine condition, not to mention I also saved on tax as I purchased the phone through salary sacrifice with work.

I suppose what I'm getting now is the satisfaction of always being on the latest, not dealing with any battery degradation, and selling my old device before it depreciates any further. It's just a different feeling to doing a huge upgrade.
You went from a base model to a two-generation later flagship, which can’t be compared to going from a flagship to its successor. I’d return it and see if you miss it; that’s how I usually decide.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
You went from a base model to a two-generation later flagship, which can’t be compared to going from a flagship to its successor.

Yeah and I'm thinking it's a similar thing with OP as well.

I’d return it and see if you miss it; that’s how I usually decide.
I do get the logic, but I think I'm just gonna sell the old one and move on with my life. I don't plan to circle around the decision for too long - the cost to keep the 14 Pro Max after selling the old one isn't that much, and better to just make a decision either way and move on to more productive things. I have the money to keep the 14 Pro Max, but not the time to ruminate on which was the better decision.

Johnnyseeth

Suspended
Aug 18, 2022
NGL I was mesmerized by the ingenuity of Dynamic Island when I first saw it during the keynote. I looked forward to the new iPhone but most of all looked forward to “taking a trip” to Dynamic Island. Well, the trip was sweet and short. The good thing about Dynamic Island is that it’s very subtle, never in your face. Maybe that’s because hardly any apps take advantage of it yet. Understandably, it’s still in its infancy, and because its primary job is status updates, it requires very little user interaction, if any at all. The thing is that there’s only so much excitement and joy one can derive from a status bar. Although Dynamic Island may seem like an overhyped place to visit, I do believe it will end up having the biggest impact on user experience over time as it matures.

But for now, iPhone 14 Pro minus Dynamic Island is just a very, how do I say it without causing fracas, a very underwhelming iPhone, especially if you’re coming from iPhone 13 Pro like me.

/coolstory
Same old design. The iPhone is nothing more than a notch and big axx camera bump like it’s pregnant.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
For those bored with an iPhone, here's what I did. I bought a clean/used Google Pixel 5. See how the other half lives and copes with no Apple in an Apple-centric country like the U.S. Swap the SIM card over and you're an Android user.

What I found was that the most boring thing about the iPhone is that everything just works. Honestly, Android these days isn't bad. And it can be fun adjusting/adapting to a new ecosystem. Gmail account for the Pixel, .Mac account for the iPhone. I love the Google Calendar and the graphics for events. On the downside, no Apple Pay - but Gpay is decent. Android Auto is a step down from Apple's Car Play. The Pixel 5 is light! Feels like an iPhone shell with all the guts removed. And it's durable too. Decent but uninspiring camera.

Makes a decent backup phone in case something goes wrong with the iPhone. A family member just took an overseas trip and wanted an unlocked phone to use with local SIM cards. The Pixel 5 was just what was needed, especially in countries that are more Android/less Apple.
I'm coming from an LG V60. That phone still runs great, but LG pulled out of the smartphone market and I didn't want to wait until the V60 was no longer supported, so I got the iPhone 13 PM.

The V60's camera is way better than the 13 PM, so I still go back and forth between the two phones. As well, the V60 has a case that has a 2nd display (you can multitask with it). Verizon just got Android 12 for the V60, too, so there's that. I can probably get away with using the V60 as a backup phone - at least until Verizon decides to pull it from their support list.

I never had an issue with Android. For me, it always worked. The ecosystem isn't quite as robust as Apple's, but Android is much more customizable, and for folks that want phones that have phone jacks or SD card ports, there are some flavors of Android phones that support those hardware items. Choice is good.

I'm with Apple because of their ecosystem, and because I couldn't find a phone that I could 100% trust to replace the LG V60. I could've waited for the 14 PM but I knew I'd be happy enough with the 13 PM - glad to see that the 14 PM isn't that much of a leap forward. :)

Reactions: 5105973 and usmaak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.