Already defective 3gs needed replacement, now cracked screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Super Intendo, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Super Intendo macrumors regular

May 26, 2008
    So my 3gs has been acting up for about two weeks now, I suddenly will stop getting calls and texts and won't realize it till I try to re send my last text and get a red exclaimation mark. It's not AT&T, it's the phone, it just stops receiving service even if I'm in my normal coverage area.

So I've been planning a genius bar appt. To get it fixed, but i haven't had time until tomorrow, I planned on making my appt tonight, and coincidenly, I just dropped my phone and the screen shattered.

If I replace the screen, will they know?

If I don't, will I be able to get a working phone even though mine has physical damage?

ThAnks for any help :)
  2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

May 11, 2008
  3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    I know the screen is $199 and water damage is $199. However, with the screen they replace the screen only and water damage they give you a remanufactured unit.
  4. jav6454 macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Can you prove any of the problems you were having before (ie like an AppleCare call, case #)? If you can, the cracked screen won't matter because you phone was acting up before and therefor warranty covered.

Hoever, if you don't have proof, I'm afraid it'll end up being $199. That will get you an swapped phone for a refurb or they just fix your current one. However, because of the other problems you mentions, I think they'd just replace it all together.
  5. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

May 26, 2008
    It's a bit in the 'grey area', morally, but isnt it safe to assume that the waranty sticker that would break from changing it is on the inside?

Every time i've had a problem with my iphones and they've been replaced, they havent cracked them open to look around inside, they just check the headphone jack and thats it, so if i replaced the screen and then went in to get it replaced, how would they know?