Already Marked Watch - Poor Standards

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kinster, May 8, 2015.

1. kinster, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015

kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

EDIT: People need to re-read and know that the watch was already marked before I even put it on!! It's not a scratch, it's a mark which wouldn't polish out.

Sorry if there is already a post about this. Just wondering how many are marked.

Has anyone received a watch that already has a mark on it? I picked up my 38mm SS WSB today and there is a tiny mark on the side and it won't come off. I'm not going to try and polish it out as it shouldn't be like that in the first place.

Regards

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

You really should just polish it out. Will take you under 20 seconds. Stainless marks up pretty easily, and polishes out just as easily.

3. kinster thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinster

With what though? A few on this forum have totally destroyed theirs by doing so.

4. H3rman macrumors 6502

With a good metal polish and a microfibre cloth...also I would like to see anyone who has destroyed their stainless steel casing by using metal polish on it?

Maybe if they went at it with an angle grinder, but no chance with polish and a cloth. If you can feel it with your fingernail though, then it will not polish out.

5. telefono, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015

telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Already Marked Watch - Poor Standards

Out of the box it should not have a mark. I understand your concern but I wouldn't worry about it, you will get more tiny marks on the case as you wear it. Its a fact with any stainless steel watch.

I had one of my Swiss Mechanical watches serviced and they polished the case and now it looks brand new. Try metal polish with microfibre cloth as others have done, just watch out for the speaker and mic holes

6. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

Take a deep breath. Relax.

Maybe Apple's next watch will defy the laws of physics.

7. w00tini macrumors 6502a

it's a watch. if you're not scratching it, you're probably not wearing it. they just get beat up being on your arm. no way around that.

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

These kind of posts are so dull and do nothing but clog up the forum.

Instead of just posting for help/advice, you have to sensationalise your thread with "Poor Standards", as if this is the 10th watch you have received with the same issue, when in reality, you received one that got somehow damaged in transit, or was due to a human error in QC.

I don't know what it is about it, but this watch has turned people into mad man & women.

9. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Ok, I'll bite; exactly who are these "few on this forum" who "totally destroyed" theirs by simple and correct polishing?

Anyway, if what you say is true and it bothers you, send it back for a replacement. OTOH, you may never be happy as wear marks are par for the course when wearing an exposed piece of metal, as it should be. Best get used to it now or get out of the watch, IMO.

10. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Some of the best replies I've read yet, in response to this ridiculousness.

I'm proud :)

If it's aluminum, you're screwed. Stainless, get flitz or a nice alloy polish and get to rubbing.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

12. kinster, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015

kinster thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinster

I bought some goods and it wouldn't polish out the tiny bird poop that was already on there way before I even tried it on. (deep breaths)

I will be sending it back anyway, don't expect a mark on a brand new Apple product (never have on years of purchases).

People can post whatever issues they like, and advise to help out. Hopefully when I order another watch it'll be in better condition.

Regards

13. Eightyone macrumors regular

You know, there is a tiny bit of truth in this.

I received my 38 SS ML yesterday. The wrapping was pristine as was the packaging - but - the watch was on its side. There were tiny marks on the SS casing, as well as light finger smears on the glass, when I took off the plastic adhesive (I hadn't touched the screen yet).

I asked my other half (delivered to his office), if it looked like they sent me a pre-worn return (hence getting it a week and a half, after order lol)...

...I'm not irritated, nor do I care - I just found it unusual.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If it's not perfect out of the box, call Apple for a replacement.

15. Azzin macrumors 68040

Much better to create a (nother) new thread moaning about something.

16. kinster thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinster

Much better than a moaner that moans about somebody else's thread.

----------

As mentioned I've already set the wheels in motion for a collection. Thanks

----------

Exactly, that's why I am asking others if they have found similar. Some people on here are so defensive like it's their company when they are just consumers.

17. arjharris macrumors newbie

The thing that's so silly about these type of posts is that you're getting so worked up over a mark and are going to go to the effort and time expense of returning it, when you're going to do the same damage yourself in the first week of owning it.

Admittedly, I'll give it to you that the Watch shouldn't leave the factory with any marks, but you're just wasting your time with a return. Like any wearable piece of jewelry, you're just going to mark it up on your own. Not sure if you've ever worn a steel watch before, but you literally cannot avoid marking it. It just adds to its character.

And second, because your one watch showed up with a mark does not by any means constitute poor standards. If everyone on this forum was complaining about marked watches out of the box, that would be one thing. However, your single anecdotal watch does not constitute poor standards, rather a one off mistake at the factory.

18. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you aren't comfortable polishing it out, return it. Apple will happily swap it - and replacements are shipping within a couple of days.

----------

Or maybe he's going to be careful?

How far do you take this. Would you accept a mac with a mark OOTB, or how about a new car with a scratch "because you'll inevitably mark it yourself eventually"?

19. arjharris macrumors newbie

[/COLOR]

Or maybe he's going to be careful?

How far do you take this. Would you accept a mac with a mark OOTB, or how about a new car with a scratch "because you'll inevitably mark it yourself eventually"?[/QUOTE]

This isn't really a valid argument considering that computers and cars aren't polished, malleable steel devices that you wear on the most mobile and exposed part of your body.

One thing that's abundantly clear from this forum is that a lot of you have never worn a stainless steel watch. In a month's time, it will be covered in dozens to hundreds of small, hairline scratches. It cannot be avoided. They'll come from doorways, zippers on sleeves, desks, computers...you just need to accept it.

It's like everyone has forgotten the stainless steel iPods. Even in cases, they got horribly scratched. Now we have watches made of largely the same material, without cases, and that are going to have much more exposed lives and people think a hairline scratch is unacceptable. If that's how most people feel, the next few months are going to be a really rough ride in this forum.

20. kinster thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinster

Your post is irrelevant. Not my problem if you accept a brand new product that is already marked when you open it. You are putting it across that it should be accepted, whilst I'm not telling you what you should do!

If you want to go on a tangent and talk about wear and tear, then my IP6+ has a few marks on it at the moment. That's because I made those marks NOT Apple!!!

Would you accept a brand new Tag Heuer watch (as they are similar priced to the Apple Watch) which is marked when you opened it?

21. arjharris macrumors newbie

Your thread is irrelevant. Waste your time and energy returning it and be sure to give us an update when after your first month, the watch is scratched far beyond the condition it is in now.

This isn't so much a debate over whether it's acceptable for it to show up scratched. I'll freely admit that it shouldn't be. The point is that you're wasting your time returning it because you're going to feel pretty stupid when you do the same damage yourself (and it's impossible not to)

22. kinster thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinster

Exactly it shouldn't be scratched in the first place.

There you go again about the wear and tear which I produce NOT Apple. You just don't get it? You might as well do one.

23. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502

A picture to see what you are talking about may be helpful.

24. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Your posts are more irrelevant than this thread. You're saying it shouldn't be marked out of the box, but then you shouldn't return it. Which is it?

I'm happy to accept marks/dings I make. But when I buy something, I expect it to look like new. I wouldn't expect a sofa to come with bum-marks in the seats, door handles to come with scratches, or a hammer to come with scuffs on the head as if it's been used. All of those things will happen over time, but not when new.

If you're not interested in the thread, please stay away from it - instead of derailing the discussion.

25. arjharris macrumors newbie

I am interested in this thread, hence why I'm commenting on it.

I think it's pretty clear what my position is here. The watch arrived slightly damaged. That's a shame, but it happened. The damage currently done is the same damage that you're going to do yourself. Not only that, but not even over time. Damage that will likely happen in the first day or two of wear.

My point of commenting on this is to see if anyone can explain the logic or rationale in returning it? To use your example, please describe why it is worth losing your time and energy to get a clean watch, only to walk out of the house and do the same damage? Is your time worth so little? Would you have returned an iPod classic with a hairline scratch, knowing the next time you used it, you would make the same scratch? Give me a break people.

This would be a different case if the watch had a deep gouge, but it sounds like there's a small mark.