Already Marked Watch - Poor Standards

kinster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I am interested in this thread, hence why I'm commenting on it.

I think it's pretty clear what my position is here. The watch arrived slightly damaged. That's a shame, but it happened. The damage currently done is the same damage that you're going to do yourself. Not only that, but not even over time. Damage that will likely happen in the first day or two of wear.

My point of commenting on this is to see if anyone can explain the logic or rationale in returning it? To use your example, please describe why it is worth losing your time and energy to get a clean watch, only to walk out of the house and do the same damage? Is your time worth so little? Would you have returned an iPod classic with a hairline scratch, knowing the next time you used it, you would make the same scratch? Give me a break people.

This would be a different case if the watch had a deep gouge, but it sounds like there's a small mark.
First day or two of wear? Oh really? I look after my items, maybe you don't so please don't tell people how they wear their watches. I don't go around telling you how you should NOT put up with it.

There is no point in go through you iPod analogy. We are saying that NEW means NEW.

arjharris

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
First day or two of wear? Oh really? I look after my items, maybe you don't so please don't tell people how they wear their watches. I don't go around telling you how you should NOT put up with it.

There is no point in go through you iPod analogy. We are saying that NEW means NEW.
Kinster, it's pretty clear that you haven't owned a stainless steel watch before so I'm going to stop arguing with you and agree. The watch should have come in 100% perfect condition. If you believe that you can look after your watch to the point where it is worth your time to return it for a hairline scratch, more power to you. After all, this is your watch and time and not mine. I just hope that you'll think of these posts when you get your first scratches and think of what else you could have done with the time it took you to return your first watch.

Peace guys, enjoy your watches.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Kinster, it's pretty clear that you haven't owned a stainless steel watch before so I'm going to stop arguing with you and agree. The watch should have come in 100% perfect condition. If you believe that you can look after your watch to the point where it is worth your time to return it for a hairline scratch, more power to you. After all, this is your watch and time and not mine. I just hope that you'll think of these posts when you get your first scratches and think of what else you could have done with the time it took you to return your first watch.

Peace guys, enjoy your watches.
lol, it's clear that you don't actually read messages correctly. It wasn't a hairline scratch. It was a spot mark I couldn't polish out. I also don't quite what you are talking about getting my "first scratches", when I am getting a refund. You make too many assumptions.

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
This thread is completely worthless without pictures. Either the OP doesn't have a camera (despite apparently buying an Apple Watch for his iPhone), or he doesn't want to post pics.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
My God people, nobody said it was scratch proof. EVERY watch scratches. My $4500 Rolex has scratches, and it's stainless steel. Jesus Christ on a matchstick.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
My God people, nobody said it was scratch proof. EVERY watch scratches. My $4500 Rolex has scratches, and it's stainless steel. Jesus Christ on a matchstick.
Excuse me but no one mentioned anything about scratch proof? We're talking about a brand new watch being marked out of the box.

Last edited:

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Some of the best replies I've read yet, in response to this ridiculousness.

I'm proud :)

If it's aluminum, you're screwed. Stainless, get flitz or a nice alloy polish and get to rubbing.
Just don't rub it too much, because you know what that means.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
According to unapologetic unapologists here, the guy whose band just fell apart by itself out of the box should just fix the springs and latch himself:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
EDIT: People need to re-read and know that the watch was already marked before I even put it on!! It's not a scratch, it's a mark which wouldn't polish out.

Sorry if there is already a post about this. Just wondering how many are marked.

Has anyone received a watch that already has a mark on it? I picked up my 38mm SS WSB today and there is a tiny mark on the side and it won't come off. I'm not going to try and polish it out as it shouldn't be like that in the first place.

Regards
It's ironic that you want us to read, yet your post contains two pieces of conflicting information.

How did you try to polish the Watch that you didn't polish? :p

I can't make anything out in that picture except reflections and maybe a mark that's so blurry it's impossible to tell anything. Try getting a focused picture? :)

kinster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
It's ironic that you want us to read, yet your post contains two pieces of conflicting information.

How did you try to polish the Watch that you didn't polish? :p

I can't make anything out in that picture except reflections and maybe a mark that's so blurry it's impossible to tell anything. Try getting a focused picture? :)
Why don't you check the times of the posts? At first I didn't want to do it. Why should I when I just opened it up? Then after reading around, everyone says it should just polish out. The next day I went and bought some Brasso to give it a try and it didn't work. Comprende?

No thanks, the box is all sealed ready to be returned. What's the point in retaking a photo when I can't even polish it out?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
My watch came with some light scratches out of the box too. Luckily they came out with light buffing with a mf towel by hand.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Why don't you check the times of the posts? At first I didn't want to do it. Why should I when I just opened it up? Then after reading around, everyone says it should just polish out. The next day I went and bought some Brasso to give it a try and it didn't work. Comprende?
How are we supposed to know what you edited and when? For all we know, you edited out some typos. Perhaps put what you edited in a separate paragraph? Not all of us are following your threads.

e.g.

"My Watch sucks. It has a small mark on it that I refuse to polish out because I'm stubborn."

*Edit*

I got over myself and tried to polish it with the first thing I had lying around - Brasso, and it didn't work."

See? Makes life easier for everyone. If you're going to be aggressive toward everyone who tries to give you advice, why even bother posting?

kinster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
How are we supposed to know what you edited and when? For all we know, you edited out some typos. Perhaps put what you edited in a separate paragraph? Not all of us are following your threads.

e.g.

"My Watch sucks. It has a small mark on it that I refuse to polish out because I'm stubborn."

*Edit*

I got over myself and tried to polish it with the first thing I had lying around - Brasso, and it didn't work."

See? Makes life easier for everyone. If you're going to be aggressive toward everyone who tries to give you advice, why even bother posting?
First line was the edit. Why get upset? If it didn't work for me, it didn't work. Maybe it works for you. No need to spit your dummy out.

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
No need to spit your dummy out.
Says the person that just had to get attention by giving their thread an over dramatic and sensationalist title.

You got a defective item, get over it.

Yes it's a pisser and no, it shouldn't happen, but it does.

In all walks of life, with all products. Thats why they have a guarantee, which you have rightly made use of.

There are just far too many "Look at me" threads, made by people desperate for attention.

"Poor standards"? Absolutely not. You're implying that many, many watches are affected and it's a really widespread problem, when in fact you just received a duff watch, but had to get your moment in the spotlight, by implying that you (and many others globally) had been the victim of some Apple conspiracy to sell lots and lots of faulty (in whatever way) watches.

Which simply isn't true.

ToastErickson

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
That tiny mark is what this is about?

If you are so upset over that then by all means go to the Apple Store and return it. The amount of time that you have spent pissing and moaning about such a tiny thing is pretty amusing. Yes a new product shouldn't have markings on it, but something that small is barely a marking. Heck most companies won't accept a return for a single dead pixel and that is a functional thing.

Even if you do take care of your devices wear and tear happens, the only way it wouldn't is if you covered it with a case... But then if you did that you would be covering up that minuscule mark and it wouldn't matter.

cpzahner

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
If that small mark is what you care about then it's best you return your watch and not own one at all. I understand it had a mark coming out of the box, which for all we know you may have caused when removing it from the box. But this thing is going to get a ton more micro scratches.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
If that small mark is what you care about then it's best you return your watch and not own one at all. I understand it had a mark coming out of the box, which for all we know you may have caused when removing it from the box. But this thing is going to get a ton more micro scratches.
Thanks for the advice. I've just dropped it off at a UPS access point.

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
We bought my mom an Apple Watch for Mother's Day. The stainless had a small
mark (can feel it with your finger nail) but hard to see and the white sport band also had a few marks.

Sending it back to Apple for a replacement. Microscratches are ok because they buff out but a slight indentation is a defect to me.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
If you get the :apple:watch and you open the box and it's all marked up why didn't you go to the store for a replacement or call apple for replacement? Normally that's what people do.

Defects happen on every single product ever made in history. You got bad luck and got a defective product.

Return it. Get a new one. Yay happy? It's not hard.

EDIT: People need to re-read and know that the watch was already marked before I even put it on!! It's not a scratch, it's a mark which wouldn't polish out.

Sorry if there is already a post about this. Just wondering how many are marked.

Has anyone received a watch that already has a mark on it? I picked up my 38mm SS WSB today and there is a tiny mark on the side and it won't come off. I'm not going to try and polish it out as it shouldn't be like that in the first place.

Regards