Already scratched?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mloffa, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I have had this Macbook White Unibody for less than 48 hours and there are already scratches on the palm rest. I have been the only one to use the computer and I don't wear a watch or anything. How is this possible? I have treated this thing like gold. They are hard to see, but definitely there. Most of it is in the right side, but there is a few on the left. They are scratches in, like, circles? I tried taking a picture but it didn't show up. Ugh, this is kind of ridiculous.

2. lyons238 macrumors 6502

you will notice some scratches at first. but it doesnt get bad. its just so glossy you have to expect some tiny scratches. just get a moshi palm guard and an incase hard case and a keyboard cover like i did.

3. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

hmmm post a picture so we can see what happened?

4. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Who is the smart person at apple who thought to make the palm rest glossy? :mad:

This is making really mad. I might return this for a mbp...

^I tried taking a picture, using my iPhone camera, and you can't make out the scratches. They are light circle scratches. Nothing deep but still there.

Also, I can feel the bumps if I run my fingernail through. It's not smooth like it should be.

5. lyons238 macrumors 6502

well the old matte macbooks used to get shiny spots on the palm area...imo its a smart idea...just get a moshi palm guard or stop caring about every tiny scratch its gonna happen.

6. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

That's the thing. It's not one tiny scratch. It's a cluster of light scratches that cover the whole right palm area.
    I just looked up the Moshi Guard...will that cover these scratches or just prevent new ones?

7. ferns101 macrumors newbie

ferns101

Look Below..

8. DolmenRage macrumors member

I just got my bestskinsever kit yesterday. It is really nice, it protects the notebook from scratches but it also keeps the nice clean look to it since it's just a film. The application is a bitch and you can really f' it up like I did, but it's definitely worth it.
    If you're worried now about the palm rests, wait a week and watch the lid closely. My god, this is like a scratch magnet.

9. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I might not have it for another week. If I do decide to go along and exchange/pay difference for MBP, it will be Sunday.

I really love the look of the white but these scratches are unbelievable.
    I read the reviews beforehand and was well aware of the scratch problem but I figured that they weren't careful with the computer. Like I mention earlier, I treat this thing like gold and random scratches just shouldn't be there. The ONLY thing that has been on my palm rest is my bare wrists.

10. lyons238 macrumors 6502

it will cover those scratches and prevents new ones. its a white not clear. it also has a nice roughish finish on it that feels soft and not sticky like the glossy finish of the macbook. its really nice. i can compare it too the feeling of the top of an xbox 360 except a little nicer.

11. DolmenRage macrumors member

I know, I thought the same thing. Seriously, don't give up on it, get a bestskinsever kit, it's only like $25 dollars and it will make your Macbook scratchproof.

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Its sad that a 1K computer is made of such cheap plastic. Glossy plastic does scratch easly, but my matte palm rest on my dell don't get shiny with a lot of use.
    Bring it to the store, and BITCH about it... raise hell. Make them give you a new one, or get a MBP. of you get a new MacBook, protect it ASAP.

13. lyons238 macrumors 6502

its not cheap plastic its just the way it is. really glossy plain colors show tiny scratches easily. look at the chrome back of ipods, those also scratch easily too...and apple wont give u a new macbook for scratches. just get a moshi palm guard and a incase hard shell and forget about it.

its honestly not a big deal..

14. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

looks aren't everything, if it works as it should then i wouldn't be too bothered by small scratches.

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

One of the main points of an apple product is looks, so it it looks bad, it's worthless to have over the competing products.

16. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really enjoy hearing the different points of views. :p

I still haven't decided what I'm gonna do.
    I will keep you guys updated, though!
    Anymore advice is appreciated!

17. lyons238 macrumors 6502

dont listen to those guys, whether the macbook has minor scratches it still looks great and holds its great design...man keep your macbook, get the things i suggested and you will be more protected for the future, and plus the scratches wont bug you once you have the macbook for a while.

18. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

are you serious? a couple scratches makes the whole product worthless?

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I would do something about it. You paid $999 for looks, Apple logo, and OSX. The hardware eg Intel Core 2 Duo, and 9400m are outdated. So you reall bought an over priced outdated underpowered Apple machine. Yet the 'premium" computer scratches like never before. My iPhone dock has plenty of scratches. I've seen the white Macbooks at the apple store. They have scratches everywhere. On the outer lid, palm rests, sides. Its just very cheap plastic. On Engadget's review, the USB got chipped from NORMAL use.

Go to the store and raise HELl. If this way a cheap little netbook, then its a different story. But this is a 1000 underpowered computer.

My brother's friends MacBook doesn't look great. The palm rests are yellow. There are plenty of small scratches on the outer lid, and the bottom of the laptop. it looks like it has been through hell. My iPod touch 2nd gen didn't look great. It looked all scratched and like it has also been through hell (just my front pocket with nothing but the iPod, so lint MUST have damaged it)
    Apple has nice designs, but they only look that good from day one. Then they start to look like ****.
    Do something about it.

20. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

You guys are making this really hard! :p

Half of you think I should keep it and get a protector type product and the other half thing I should go pro.

I know ultimately this is for me and my needs
    The thing I like most about the Macbook is the color/look.
    But if thats not going to stay like that, whats the point?

As someone mention, the machine is a little underpowered.

I just think that the cost of upgrading the ram and hard drive on this computer would be more expenisve than upgrading to the pro now. :confused:

Still not sure what I'm going to do.

-edit-

The top of the laptop is still looking brand new which is good but I can already start to see some very minor discoloration on the bottom rubber. It's actually in the middle near the Apple logo on the bottom, though. I'm pretty sure I know where this is from though and, from what I have read, can be removed pretty easily.

21. lyons238 macrumors 6502

the pro is underpowerd too...the baseline pro is 2.26ghz 2gb of ram and a 160gb hd.

i put 4gs of ram and a 500gb 7200rpm hd in my macbook, the incase hard case and moshi palm guard, oh and a keyboard cover. i have better specs for cheaper if i would have bought the pro. plus i dont like the glossy screen on the pro. and i like the white.

22. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

^ Very true. But the pro seems less underpowered. ;)
    Still not sure what I'm going to do though. I need to figure it out before my 14 days are up.

How do you like the Incase case? Any particular reason why you chose that over a Speck case?

23. lyons238 macrumors 6502

the base pro is the same as the base macbook except with an even smaller hd. the only spec better about the pro is if u went with the 2.53ghz proc instead of the 2.26. honestly dude your stressin it too much. keep your macbook and in about 2 years or so get a pro.

24. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Base Macbook:
    [​IMG]

Base MBP:
    [​IMG]

Theres 2 gigs more ram but that's easily added.
    Is there a huge difference in the graphics card?
    But I really just simply like the look of the white better.
    Yes, I know I am stressing it too much. :mad:

25. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

It has been updated. The base MBP has 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 10 hours battery life, and new graphics. It has a larger HD now as well. Thats for $1199. For $1499, you get a larger HD, and a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo. IMO its still underpowered/overpriced, but not as badly as before.