"Alt + E" results in strange bug

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by baryon, Jul 27, 2011.

1. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I pressed [ Alt + e ] to make "é", but instead, I got this weird stripe at the bottom of the screen, behind the dock, with the accent I wanted to put on the "e" appearing in the box. There was even a red close button to close the weird stripe, as if it was some kind of "language bar" or whatever.

Here's the screenshot:

Screen Shot 2011-07-27 at  copy.jpg

This never happened before in Snow Leopard, and even in Lion this is the first time it happens. This was in Facebook's comment thingy.

2. godzilla1200 macrumors member

It is a bug I think. I got that bar once too, but hasn't happened again (and hopefully won't).

There are a LOT of bugs in Lion. I don't know why Apple didn't delay the release until at least for August.

3. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I don't know, Lion is just buggy. I hope you wished that person a happy birthday though.

4. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I could not either, but have seen it in the earlier preview builds. I have not seen it in the GM build.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I couldn't replicate this on Lion, Safari and Facebook either. You do know you can hold down the "e" key to get an iOS like accent popup now right? That is, unless you turned autorepeat on.

7. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

8. LostJohn macrumors member

This isn't really a bug, per se. You simply press "e" again and it will insert the correct é symbol.

In other words, type 'alt+e' and then type 'e' again.

9. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I think you're missing the point. Read the rest of the post (after the first sentence or two)

;)

10. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I couldn't replicate it either. In Lion. Using alt-e-e or any other alt e combo.

Do you have any software that might intprepret that key combo as a command?

I noticed that on one keyboard I own (a Logitech) the option and command keys got switched after moving to Lion.

Does this occur in textedit?

Rob