Alternative keyboard layouts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 23am, Oct 8, 2007.

1. 23am macrumors regular

23am

Hello, this is a thread for discussing alternative keyboard layouts.
    I suppose I'm not alone about switching from qwerty to another layout ;)
    For about one year ago, I tried svorak(Swedish Dvorak) the second time, and that time I made it all the way. It took me about half a year to get used to the new layout, but I've been typing svorak since then.
    Something I've noticed when typing qwerty this times is that you have to stretch your fingers all along the keyboard all the time.. It's very non-ergonomic :confused:
    Svorak is much simplier to write when you've got used to it.

Give it a try!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

2. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I tried switching to Dvorak, but as a programmer learning a completely new layout slowed down my productivity too much. And trying to use qwerty at work and Dvorak at home was not a smart choice either. Hope you have better luck!

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

This is really interesting and i would be willing to give it a try. How do i switch the keyboard layout?

4. Mac One macrumors member

Wow! I've always known that there were other keyboards, but have never really looked them up. I also have never looked at the design of the QWERTY keyboard before, which is obviously quite important. Maybe in the future if I pull my finger out I'll have a go at using the Dvorak keyboard. Thanks for bringing it up.:)

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I've considered switching before, but I just couldn't commit. My biggest hang-up was the fact that no matter where I went I would only ever see a QWERTY keyboard. I could mod my own laptop and desktop, but not even the other machines in our home. Just can't justify the effort...

6. whlteXbread macrumors newbie

you don't need to "mod" your computer to type in dvorak...it really doesn't take much effort to change the layout on whatever computer you're using. Further, it's not as hard as one would think for the person to switch back and forth between layouts.

I'm a successful convert: I've been using it for at least four years now. It's as simple as changing one system setting. On macs, all you have to do is open the system preferences, open international, then click on input menu. Scroll down untill you see "Dvorak" and click the checkbox. If you wish to switch back and forth, check the "show input menu in menu bar". If you want directions for windows, ask, but it varies greatly among releases.

Very simple to learn. Google for lessons - they are free. AS A PROGRAMMER, I have found that this layout is very very efficient (once you learn the layout). Important punctuation is closer, and therefore easier to reach. I have noticed a speed increase - notable but perhaps not substantial. The only way to successfully switch is to commit to the change, otherwise you will always change back when things hard.

If you're in a situation where people try to use your computer alot, this layout has an additional benefit - the keyboard layout confuses them so much that they give up and don't use your computer. It's great, really.

GL.

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've tried to change before, but when switching my keys round noticed that they wouldn't fit back onto the keyboard. If I'm going to do it then I want the keys in the right place, not just something telling me which is which.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I tries this keyboard layout last night and boy is that different. It does seem more ergonomic but I think I will stay with QWERTY until I start using Dvorak at school and on my iPhone.

9. 23am thread starter macrumors regular

23am

Which never will happen if noone takes the first step. ;)
    The first month was worst in my case, after that I were able to type occasional words without problems. Then it went better and better, and now I'm typing without any problems at all. :)

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

oddly enough i actually changed my keyboard yesterday, when i realized that my keyboard needed cleaning. Thought while I had the keys off I try out a change.. Spent about 2 hours learning it. Got a long way to go though. Only really know "aoeudhtns.>-_" as of the moment and am still making too many errors but i can already see the advantage.

Edit: One problem i'm having is that the security box, i.e. password box, reverts to QWERTY and so i have to remember the layout off my password rather than the actual password. Anyone have this issue or know of the solution.

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i'm using it now. i'm back to seek-and-destroy again:D

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I don't have time to learn it. As I said. Different if I used it all the time. I so use it at school and so I can't just use it at Home. I tried itand it is really cool but too different.

13. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

After touch typing for 15 years, I think I would find it near impossible to change!

14. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I used QWERTY for twelve years as a touch typist. I've been using Dvorak for two years now and the numbers don't lie. When I was on QWERTY, I typed about seventy words per minute with about a 0.5% error rate. On Dvorak, I type about 120 words per minute with the same error rate.

I have a friend who is a computer programmer and he says that after he switched to Dvorak, his hands were noticeably less tired at the end of the day. It makes sense, considering that your fingers do not have to travel as far with Dvorak than with QWERTY. Dvorak will NOT save you from repetitive stress injuries, however.

15. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I am trying at the moment to learn Dvorak - its pretty darn difficult, bordering on impossible. I'm waiting for fall break in a few weeks to really try and figure it out - because I just can't do it at the moment. Right now, I have too many papers and assignments that need to be typed quickly, and then I also cannot change the keys on my keyboard(I have a broken laptop keyboard in front of me that has the Dvorak layout so I have a reference point), and then I also have to use QWERTY at school. Switching between them while trying to learn one is definetly NOT the way to go.

I can't wait to be able to commit fully, though. From what I've been able to do and see, it is a much more efficient layout...

I am typing this sentence in the Dvorak layout.

That sentence alone took me close to a minute to type...

I have a long ways to go.

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Wow your good, that sentence would probably have taken me about 3 minutes to type. -sigh-

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'm typing this sentence using the qwerty keyboard. And it took me like 2 seconds.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I could try the DVORAK format. I'm just too lazy to switch the keys around on my iBook.:D

19. 23am thread starter macrumors regular

23am

It's hard to learn yes, and when you will use the qwerty-layout again after learning dvorak, that will be as hard. But then you at least have the keys as reference by default. :)

But Dvorak is installed by default in many operating systems, so you just have to click a single icon in the menu bar/tray to change it. It harder for me who have these åäö-letters, I have to install the layout at every computer I use.. It's worth is though. :p

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have one thing to say: This sucks. It would take me so long to make the switch.

The above took me 3m30 sec to type in DVORAK.

21. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

When I switched, it only took me about a week to get up to 40 wpm on Dvorak, and two weeks to get back to my previous typing speed.

22. whlteXbread macrumors newbie

Holy moly why would you change your keys around? One of the big advantages of learning dvorak is that it doesn't take as long to learn as qwerty. The reason it doesn't take as long is that the keys are logically placed - they make sense for muscle memory. The whole point is to become a touch typist.

It makes sense to wait until you have a bit of time to learn it - but if you try, commit. Don't go back and forth.

If it ain't broke - you don't have to try it. We have, and we like it. I type ALOT and have noticed that my hands and wrists are much less fatigued after a day of using dvorak.

23. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Yeah, but when you're first learning it, it helps out a ton to have the keys changed. Plus, when other people use your computer, they'll be able to type, too...;)

24. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

weird, i don't get how that would be easier to use? having periods and other symbols in the middle of letters? and reaching up/down 4 rows of keys rather than 3?
    to each their own.

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

mdwsta4: What are you talking about? Dvorak has neither of those features. Punctuation marks are still at the edges of the keyboard, and the alphabetical part of the keyboard still only spans three rows.