Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I understand Apple’s states reasons for the notch but still disagree with the decision made. That said, there is a potential software tweak that could make it much more acceptable and still quite functional: why not keep the notch areas always black (still displaying the same info up there but just always in white)? This way, the screen real estate is being used but apps always appear in a rectangle without the notch. At least give users the option.

It would be like the functionality of the app Notcho but system wide.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I understand Apple’s states reasons for the notch but still disagree with the decision made. That said, there is a potential software tweak that could make it much more acceptable and still quite functional: why not keep the notch areas always black (still displaying the same info up there but just always in white)? This way, the screen real estate is being used but apps always appear in a rectangle without the notch. At least give users the option.

It would be like the functionality of the app Notcho but system wide.
Don't mind the notch. It's not any kind of problem I have with the phone.

Got a solution that gets rid of that camera boil on the back though? I'd take that.

Reactions: Raist3001

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The Apple executives who finalized the design of the notch are in love with their notch. They think its distinctive looking. It ain't going away at least for many many years. The notch is here for good. (Or worse).

Reactions: George Dawes

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The Apple executives who finalized the design of the notch are in love with their notch. They think its distinctive looking. It ain't going away at least for many many years. The notch is here for good. (Or worse).
This.

The notch is a deliberate design choice. It makes the iPhone X recognisable as an iPhone. By far the most common sense implementation would be a narrow top and bottom bezel, but this would have made the iPhone look like any old phone.

Stupid, unnecessary vanity in my opinion but it is what it is - in a couple of years when the iPhone 8 reaches the end of its life, we’ll be pretty much stuck with it if we want to stay with Apple.

Reactions: George Dawes

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Don't mind the notch at all unless I am watching Video. Even then, I am growing used to it.
The notch serves a purpose. Regardless, a bezel was needed. We got a small bezel as opposed to a full bezel.

Reactions: chabig

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Absolutely agree. The notch is a trademark sign for Apple with the iPhone and they know it. They may not openly admit the Notch is something that is meant to purposely separate the iPhone from other competitors, but it certainly does.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Looks like the new Huawei phone is giving users this very option (to black out the ears, still leaving useful info but looking much better):

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/6/17198708/huawei-p20-pro-review

(scroll down to 5th picture or so)
Maybe this looks better on the P20 because this phone has a big, black bar at the bottom and different angled screen corners top and bottom from the very start.
On the X on the other hand, making the top black would result in uneven corner radius and/or a significantly smaller screen. So, no thanks!o_O

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
The Notch ruins video feedback on the iPhone X. Not getting another iPhone until they add back a REAL home button, no notch, and a headphone jack! (With water resistance preferably )

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The Notch ruins video feedback on the iPhone X. Not getting another iPhone until they add back a REAL home button, no notch, and a headphone jack! (With water resistance preferably )
Zooming has a more negative impact on video imo.

If you watch it in its original state (non-zoomed), then the areas cut out by the edges (& notch) will be visible.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Still see polarised opinions (either love or hate, no middle ground). I mean, even playing the game, botch is still noticeable? Let alone watching videos. Why we cannot have a true edge to edge display just like some TV? Or better yet, monitors? Notch is just not a solution. For those lovers, what would you think if Apple removes it?

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Still see polarised opinions (either love or hate, no middle ground). I mean, even playing the game, botch is still noticeable? Let alone watching videos. Why we cannot have a true edge to edge display just like some TV? Or better yet, monitors? Notch is just not a solution. For those lovers, what would you think if Apple removes it?
I don't love it or hate it. I accept it for what it is and why it's there. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I love the notch.

Will you being saying that in a couple of years when they eventually get rid of it?

Sorry, but I cannot imagine anyone saying the following: “Oh no! Why did they get rid of the notch!? I will miss it! *sad face* I’m not upgrading to that plain notchless phone that actually goes from edge to edge all around!”
[doublepost=1523489306][/doublepost]
How much you wanna bet that if one were given the choice between having the notch with the extra space up top or a squared out 16:9 with edges, most people will choose the notch and extra space.

Oh I don’t know, maybe those who bought an iPhone 8/8 Plus?

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Don't mind the notch. It's not any kind of problem I have with the phone.

Got a solution that gets rid of that camera boil on the back though? I'd take that.
I know, right? To me, the camera bump on the X is terrible-design and function wise. I get that they needed more room, but having it jutting out sharply really throws off the symmetry of the device and makes for a vulnerable area.

I’m usually the first one to champion the X, but the bump is bad. Real bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.