iPhone X Alternative to current notch implementation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Mar 28, 2018.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I understand Apple’s states reasons for the notch but still disagree with the decision made. That said, there is a potential software tweak that could make it much more acceptable and still quite functional: why not keep the notch areas always black (still displaying the same info up there but just always in white)? This way, the screen real estate is being used but apps always appear in a rectangle without the notch. At least give users the option.

It would be like the functionality of the app Notcho but system wide.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

The ultimate goal is to remove the notch and give everyone a truly edge to edge display. That alternative may not be good enough for some people.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

They could increase the bezel at the top of the phone.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Don't mind the notch. It's not any kind of problem I have with the phone.

Got a solution that gets rid of that camera boil on the back though? I'd take that.

5. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

6. now i see it macrumors 68030

The Apple executives who finalized the design of the notch are in love with their notch. They think its distinctive looking. It ain't going away at least for many many years. The notch is here for good. (Or worse).

7. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

This.

The notch is a deliberate design choice. It makes the iPhone X recognisable as an iPhone. By far the most common sense implementation would be a narrow top and bottom bezel, but this would have made the iPhone look like any old phone.

Stupid, unnecessary vanity in my opinion but it is what it is - in a couple of years when the iPhone 8 reaches the end of its life, we’ll be pretty much stuck with it if we want to stay with Apple.

8. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

Don't mind the notch at all unless I am watching Video. Even then, I am growing used to it.
    The notch serves a purpose. Regardless, a bezel was needed. We got a small bezel as opposed to a full bezel.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Absolutely agree. The notch is a trademark sign for Apple with the iPhone and they know it. They may not openly admit the Notch is something that is meant to purposely separate the iPhone from other competitors, but it certainly does.

10. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

Not going to buy an iPhone with a notch

11. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

How much you wanna bet that if one were given the choice between having the notch with the extra space up top or a squared out 16:9 with edges, most people will choose the notch and extra space.

12. Mr.Blacky macrumors 6502

Maybe this looks better on the P20 because this phone has a big, black bar at the bottom and different angled screen corners top and bottom from the very start.
    On the X on the other hand, making the top black would result in uneven corner radius and/or a significantly smaller screen. So, no thanks!o_O

13. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

The Notch ruins video feedback on the iPhone X. Not getting another iPhone until they add back a REAL home button, no notch, and a headphone jack! (With water resistance preferably )

14. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I absolutely can't stand the notch on the iPhone X. By any means I'd gladly disable it.

EDIT: By "disable" I meant hide it with software, whoops.

15. MarcMller macrumors regular

Good luck with that.

16. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Zooming has a more negative impact on video imo.

If you watch it in its original state (non-zoomed), then the areas cut out by the edges (& notch) will be visible.

17. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Fixed it for you.
    So, you're all done with iPhones.

18. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Still see polarised opinions (either love or hate, no middle ground). I mean, even playing the game, botch is still noticeable? Let alone watching videos. Why we cannot have a true edge to edge display just like some TV? Or better yet, monitors? Notch is just not a solution. For those lovers, what would you think if Apple removes it?

19. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

I don't love it or hate it. I accept it for what it is and why it's there. It doesn't bother me one bit.

20. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

Exactly! It's there because that is the best solution available at this point in time. When it's no longer needed it will go away.

21. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Ok. I cannot comprehend “doesn’t bother me one bit” anymore. Just cannot understand. I give up.

22. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Will you being saying that in a couple of years when they eventually get rid of it?

Sorry, but I cannot imagine anyone saying the following: “Oh no! Why did they get rid of the notch!? I will miss it! *sad face* I’m not upgrading to that plain notchless phone that actually goes from edge to edge all around!”
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2018 ---
    Oh I don’t know, maybe those who bought an iPhone 8/8 Plus?

23. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I know, right? To me, the camera bump on the X is terrible-design and function wise. I get that they needed more room, but having it jutting out sharply really throws off the symmetry of the device and makes for a vulnerable area.

I’m usually the first one to champion the X, but the bump is bad. Real bad.