Alternative to finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by -::ubermann::-, Jun 21, 2007.

1. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

viewing that new finder for leopard and windows's explorer for years i get more and more annoyed with current finder in tiger, do you know another app to view and manage files?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is Path Finder, nowhere near as full as Leopard's Finder though...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

um, its less 'fluff' than leopards if you ask me. and certainly a viable alternative. if not the only alternative. i'm sure that some would argue that Quicksilver is in its own way a different way to manage your files too.

and that said, some will still prefer pathfinder over the leopard finder.

4. 66217 Guest

There seems to be some alternatives:

PathFinder

ForkLift

But nothing can replace the Finder. What is that you don't like about the Finder?

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I use QuickSilver but still find myself instinctively using the Finder. Once you've learnt all the little shortcuts it ain't that bad imho ;)

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

This is my biggest beef with Finder "alternatives," they have to be run ON TOP of the Finder. I might consider running one of these if they could actually replace the Finder, but since they don't, none for me, thanks.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i thought you could kill finder with Pathfinder? if not you could always kill it with Tinkertool or some such no? (well at least you used to be able too, i haven't used those apps in a loooong while)

8. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Hi with pathfinder there is an option in the preferences using which replaces the finder completely. First of all check: load at login, then: quit finder at startup, then there is an option like: show pathfinder desktop. Using these three options the finder is completely replaced...you might wanna check the preferences pane more carefully since I'm not sure if there was more or not.

byakuya

9. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

What don't you like about the finder? It seems pretty great to me.

The only problems I have with the finder aren't so much problems with the finder as much as they are problems with the OS. Like when a shared folder mounted on the desktop stops responding it brings the entire finder to a grinding halt for a couple of minutes. But I don't think that the finders fault as much as it's a problem with the underlying networking system. And I really don't like the dock, but that's not really the finder.

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

PF Desktop screws up expose

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhmm i have some positive comments about path finder, and neagtive ones...

+ve
    •very easy to use
    •has a lot of expandability
    •tabs!!!!!!!!!!!

-ve
    •stuffed up my finder!
    •i now have a bagillion icons on my desktop cauz i just have a list view on my desktop in pathfinder
    •stuffed up my finder!!
    •did i mention it stuffed up my finder?? finder uses up 99% of CPU now when i open it back up. so i am now forced to use pathfinder until i can fix it.

good program tho, very easy to use.

12. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

@DoFoT9 & iW00t

Regarding both of your complaints against Path Finder. I have tried the newest version (trial) for a few days and none of your problems above happened to me. Could it be that you guys used an older version? The newest version really is able to completely replace the Finder.

byakuya

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im downloading the update for it now... its 4.7.2, i had 4.7.0. i dont see how it will fix anything, but lets see how it goes (its 24mb and ive been capped to dialup :()

ill get back with some comments laters.

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Hi, I'm kind of really interested in this browser...unfortunately I couldn't find it on macupdate. If you're using this software would you mind posting some thoughts about it?

byakuya

15. Gav macrumors regular

What's so good about Leopards finder?

16. harveypooka macrumors 65816

The terminal?

17. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Just go to the Rixstep site. They have a demo and everything you'd ever need to know about anything.

18. Fairly macrumors regular

That's nonsense.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maybe I should rephrase - It does a lot of stuff, but a lot of people will find a huge amount of features in Leopard's Finder (like CoverFlow) that are useful and are not included in Path Finder...

20. Fairly macrumors regular

Sorry, but what's to "prefer" about Leopard Finder? It sure looks good - but does it do the job? Few of us know because few of us have been able to test it. If previous versions of Finder are any indication then this one will not be very different - except for Cover Flow which is a technology Apple bought rather than created anyway. It looks good - it's "fluff" as you say - but it doesn't mean that on a daily basis my work is going to be any more effective. And with Finder as it is today it seriously cannot be worse.

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Quick Look seems great, and CoverFlow will be fantastic for me - I have hundreds of documents for school, often not well named, and I would like to see at a glance what they are, instead of opening ten with similar names.

22. Fairly macrumors regular

Cover Flow isn't a feature. It's "fluff". It doesn't do anything you can't do today. It looks good but it doesn't accomplish anything. The old "FTFF" still applies, and what people meant by that was not purchase del Strother's hack.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What about my example of documents? What about Quick Look, seeing which badly named file is which without opening their respective applications?

24. 66217 Guest

If you have a lot of documents, I guess that seeing quickly the cover would be a nice addition to finder.
    It may not be a revolutionary change, but it is not useless.

psychofreak just said one way it would help him, and I guess a lot of people would find it helpful.