Alternative to Quicken

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by leeltd, Jan 10, 2010.

1. leeltd macrumors newbie

I've been using Quicken now for almost 15 years. I love this software but I am not too happy that it is taking them so long to have a Mac version and now they are requiring me to buy an upgrade every 3 years if I want to keep what I consider basic features. So, I thought I would ask this board if anyone has a recommendation to replace Quicken.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like and use iBank I found it much more "mac" like. Also is more useable then quicken ever was and more stable. The company updates the application fairly regularly.

The only knock I have with iBank is the reporting ability. Quicken was quite powerful in this and iBank lacks the same level of flexibility and power. Aside from that I'm very happy with it and have no regrets dropping quicken.

3. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I also use iBank and really like it (especially the iPhone sync.) But I never used Quicken so can't really compare the two.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Best solution is virtualization software + Windows + Quicken I'm sad to say.

I'm using MS Money and will be forced into Quicken because MS left the market. I tried all the available Mac-based products and none of them were adequate for my needs.

5. leeltd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll give iBank a try.

6. Corruptitudes macrumors regular

We went with iBank...and its a bit lacking. For instance, if you have two transactions that were for the same amount but for different things, iBank will clear both of them. There are some other things my wife doesnt like about the program, so we are awaiting for the new quicken to be released next month. Hopefully it will be better then iBank, as Im quite tired of hearing her complain about iBank...

7. tshort macrumors regular

8. alfmil, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. JayInNJ macrumors regular

Did some research and see that Moneydance does online bill paying, which is a must have for me. Anyone try this?

10. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

I use MD myself, but not the online portion. For any online work, I just log in to my bank's website, do the work and then download the QIF file and import that into MD.

Not sure of your setup or needs, but doing it this way has been a good thing for me. Not much extra effort and allows me to keep things separated. :)

When I moved from Windows to OS X, I researched the different banking programs available and decided I liked MoneyDance more than iBank. Looking again at iBank, my decision would still be for MoneyDance. Just personal preference and workflow.

Take care,

11. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I've just switched from Quicken to MoneyDance. A few issues starting up -- used to Quicken's way, and so having some problems. Getting my head wrapped around it now, though.

Their forums are wonderful for getting help, and they have their own rep online in the forums to provide help. Pretty thorough and pretty fast response. I would certainly rate them highly for support. Worked out my most frustrating problems pretty quickly.

If you DO make the change, be sure to read on the forums the two-step method for importing your Quicken .qif file. Seems like it should be a one step process, but believe me, you will not regret having followed their instructions. And, don't let some posters give you the idea that you can't "One-Step Download". There is a way and it works just fine. Has to do with encrypting your file after you set up your online accounts. Check the forums and let that help you make your decision.

12. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Two-step process? Don't recall that but I remember having to give it a couple of tries to get it working correctly.

13. flyersgl macrumors member

I am a recent switcher to Moneydance and got it to import fine, and after some adjustment, have gotten used to the interface. But, I have yet to be able to set up online access to any of my accounts, I keep getting error messages and have not found very helpful advice online. I keep working on it, though, because I do not believe the new Quicken for Mac will be good enough. I used Quicken for Windows since it came out, and it has bummed me out to switch.

14. TadCrawford macrumors newbie

Quicken Frustration - What About Parallels?

I have been a Quicken user going all the way back to 1993. I started on a Mac and eventually moved to a PC. I currently am using Home and Business 2009 on my PC and need its functionality. I am in the middle of migrating from that PC to an new iMac and am increasingly frustrated by the limitations of the Quicken software for the Mac, both the 2007 version and what is currently being announced.

I have begun to explore running Quicken using Parallels Desktop 5. When I Quicken's Tech Support about this option, here is what I got as a response. I find the answer totally unacceptable. I can't imagine Intuit walking away from the Mac at precisely the point where its sales are exploding relative to Windows based PCs. Is Parallels a good option, despite what's below? What would you guys recommend?

Tad, I am Xxxxx, the supervisor with Intuit-Quicken. I do understand your concern. However there are two important things.
    1. As per the features of the New Mac application we can not track investment history or transactions any more.
    2. We do not recommend customers to use Quicken on Parallels as it may or may not work properly.
    UNQUOTE

15. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

The Quicken support person you spoke with is ignorant. Running Quicken in a windows environment, whether it be in Parallels or Fusion or any other virtualization software, will be the same as running it natively. It may seem slower, depending on the system resources you have allocated to your system, but it will be identical to running it on a windows machine.

16. NomadicTy macrumors regular

I use gnucash - they now have a dmg install file for OSX - open source, double-entry, and I love it. I need the multi-currency support more than I need any of the Quicken bling. I'm also a double-entry geek, so it's perfect for me.

One issue with the dmg install is there is a problem with quotes downloads. I believe there is a fix for it, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out (had to completely reinstall everything after my 15" logic board died).... Before my mbp broke, I installed it through X11 - that installl was a PAIN. But everything worked.

Check it out!

17. TadCrawford macrumors newbie

I Was Surprised

RedWarrior -
    I found the Quicken Tech Rep's response very surprising. Tell us about your own experience: the version of Quicken used, the VM used, any words for the wise.
    Thanks,
    Tad

18. glowfly macrumors member

Yes iBank is a good alternative. And yes its better then Quicken.

19. TadCrawford macrumors newbie

I Need Both Small Business & Investment Accounting

iBank looks like a good option, if the iPhone app is an important consideration.

I would be drawn to MoneyDance, given what I have read elsewhere, but it too appears to fall short of what I need.

I'm really looking to learn more about how well Parallels is working out for those who may need to stay with Quicken, however frustrating.

Thanks

20. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I recently tried the latest version of iBank and it seems like a nice app but it is dog slow. I have about 2 years worth of transactions and it is painful to use. I will continue to use Moneydance until something better comes along. I may have to do like some others here and just pony up and use the Windows version of Quicken. The available software for the Mac is sometimes a little disappointing.

21. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I am assuming you mean iBank is better than the Mac version of Quicken because it is no where near as good as the Windows version of Quicken.

22. pprior macrumors 65816

Intuit support is clueless. As noted, there is absolutely no difference in running via virtual machine - as far as quicken knows it IS running in windows XP (or whatever version you choose to virtualize).

Intuit is a piss poor excuse for a software company and it's product has been stagnant for years now. The ONLY reason I upgrade is every 3 years when I'm FORCED to by Intuit in order to maintain online accounts.

Unfortunately I've found no alternative that will allow me to easily automatically pay my bills online like quicken allows, track investments and download info from my investment companies automatically.

If you have the windows version, just install it into a virtual machine and run it, you'll have no problems.

23. TadCrawford macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I absolutely share everyone's frustration with intuit/Quicken. I recently had an even worse experience with my Quicken Credit Card. I was being forced to pay $39 for the Rewards Program or forfeit the card. I chose the latter, despite having had it for years, an opted for another card with way better benefits, at no cost.

Back to virtualization, using Parallels 5.0, I plan to install my existing copies of Windows XP and Quicken Home & Business, plus 15 years of data. Any last minute words to the wise. I found some excellent advice from the following site: http://www.nicolewilker.com/blog/tag/mac-and-parallels-and-quicken/

24. wellthought macrumors newbie

I use Checkbook 2. It's simple and works GREAT.

25. pprior macrumors 65816

Only advice is to make sure you have backup copies before you do so. It will go fine. You will have to re-activate online banking with passwords, so if it's been years and years like in my situation make sure you remember your passwords before you nerf your old setup :)