Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
If you prefer to use the iPhone without a case I think the best compromise is a sleeve . I bought one on amazon for the pro max . This will prevent micro scratches when you have tour phone in your pocket or jacket .

Attachments

• 27D59E67-E6E2-40D4-9DF3-AA9938E9BA2C.jpeg
    27D59E67-E6E2-40D4-9DF3-AA9938E9BA2C.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 259

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Was just too annoying so take it out more than once and for quick pics isn't ideal. always felt I was more at risk at dropping it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
But then I have to take it out my 'pocket' twice and becomes a two hand job when I want to quickly do something.
Exactly this. I’ve tried this route, and it even made simple tasks like Apple Pay, tedious. I resorted to an Apple leather case and it keeps everything all “Apple”

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It doesn't offer any your iPhone protection against drops when you're handling it.

I don't think most people are concerned about micro-scratches. Rather, they're concerned about a a big crack or dent caused by a drop.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
As a former sleeve user, I can say it was a PITA at times, and have since moved to a folio, which is easier to use and still provides some measure of secondary (or tertiary) screen protection, as well as overall protection.

Reactions: one more

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Exactly this. I’ve tried this route, and it even made simple tasks like Apple Pay, tedious. I resorted to an Apple leather case and it keeps everything all “Apple”

That mirrors my experience exactly. :)

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I used a sleeve with my iPhone 6 for 3 years and it was perfectly fine for me to some extent. Most of the times the main annoyance was to take it out while going on public transport but I used to take it out beforehand so that I can tap on the wireless readers once I get close to them.

I bought one for my 8 plus as well but it became too big to handle properly and I dropped the phone in one occasion. The open lip of the sleeve case didn’t protect it from a dent, I got the phone exchanged because I can’t stand scratches or dents on my phones.

I’ve mostly gone case less with my phones since the 4S days. And after that drop incident with the 8 Plus I decided to just keep using my phones case less so that I know properly when I held them correctly.

I’ve had Xs Max and now the 11 Pro since the 8 Plus and even after being case less my phones didn’t get any scratch or dent yet. Although I’ve opted to go for a glass screen protector for the 11 Pro, just in case.

Reactions: eyoungren

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The sleeves have several disadvantages, imo:

1) Unless you also use a dedicated screen protector with them, sleeves are tricky, as small hard particles can slide into them and can then scratch the screens, defeating the whole purpose of having a sleeve over it;

2) If you are not careful enough or in a hurry, the phone can just fall out of it;

3) Each time your phone makes a noice, you have to pull it out to see what is happening, then we are back to points 1-2.

A nuisance, basically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.