alternative words to describe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zoran, Aug 9, 2019.

1. zoran macrumors 68040

How can i say in different words that "communication skills" and "work ethics" are some of my qualities as a character/personality?

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Maybe try this exercise.

Think of “work ethic” as a conclusion.

Which behaviors do you possess when summed leads one to reach that independent conclusion?

Deeds speak louder than words in relationships, workplaces, and life.

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

For example:

"Often times when I'm stealing office supplies, I leave half behind, so as not to completely inconvenience my co-workers."

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Your offer letter is in the mail!

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68040

Guys I appreciate your help but I don’t know how your posts can help my question!

6. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Yeah, guys, you're not helping somebody communicate how good their communication skills are! :eek::mad:

I actually think @Gutwrench's OP was genuinely helpful. Unless you're applying for a job at Merriam-Webster, your resume shouldn't be a thesaurus; every sentence should say something new.

7. Scepticalscribe, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

First off, you don't say "work ethics", you say (or write) "work ethic". The word "work" is not followed by a plural.

Moreover, the first person singular takes a capital letter - it should be "I" - not "i".

Unless you are in sales, or dealing with the public directly, "character/personality" is not what is being examined (beyond the very obvious one of "can I envisage myself working well - or sharing an office - with this person?")

Thus, you discuss your aptitudes and experience, not your "character/personality".

Instead, what is being judged is your worth as a potential employee, or your professional qualities.

Yes, these may seem quibbles, but if someone wrote to me seeking a position and managed to get such basics of spelling and grammar wrong, (especially someone claiming to have good "communications skills"), they would not be dignified with an offer of employment.

Re "communication skills", you can say (or write), that you express yourself well both orally and in writing. (However, if you say you do, you need to be able to look and sound and read as though you actually can do this).

8. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

• I am punctual.
    • My career is an integral part of my life.
    • I respect deadlines.
    • My work product represents me so I own and support it.
    • I enjoy working in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision, but work well with others.
    These statements accurately describe me. I let the prospective employer draw the conclusions.

I’m not a good fit for every company, nor is any company a good for for me.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Why would you use different words other than the standard words for such descriptions? You're forcing someone to "translate" whatever you are going to use in place of the two definitions just to have this someone arrive at the conclusion that... you're describing the two definitions.
    Depending on what your job is, in general the closer to the top you are (even if you're not personally closer to the top in your position, but in operational proximity to the top) the more direct you must be. There is nothing more frustrating for us (people that have to read hundreds of documents a day) than a two or three page long document that could easy be summarized in a paragraph and five bullet points. The same applies for the choice of words to be used.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68040

What do u mean?

11. Scepticalscribe, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019

Scepticalscribe

Seriously: You start a thread to ask advice on what words to use in a professional context.

While "u" (for you) is deemed acceptable in informal speech, and while texting, when asking advice on how to use language, and what formula of words to use in a given formal setting or context, might I suggest that you use proper formal language when writing.

That means - in this setting and context - writing the pronoun "you" in full, all three letters of it.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Also, speak (or write) in plain language. Language that is common and normal and expected on a CV. If the job you're applying for is technical in nature or has specific words or phrases that compliment the CV, then use them. However don't replace the word 'ethic with 'conventionalities' just to make yourself appear more intelligent or fancy.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Describe your previous working experiences and how that helped you gain your communication skills and work ethic.

Remember that brevity is an art. Nobody wants to read a massive wall of text when its content could be summarised in a few sentences.

14. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Excellent point.

To the OP: Having said that, (and I agree with you to a large extent), while brevity is an art, conciseness in a letter of application describing previous work experiences and how that helped you acquire your work ethic and develop your communication skills is very welcome, nobody wishes to read text speak (well, I certainly don't).

You need to be able to summarise what you wish to say succinctly.

Thus, write concisely using full words and complete sentences.

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68040

to be frank im not trying to find different words, im trying to find the standard ones. I would be interested knowing the standard ones ;-)

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ok, let’s do this exercise. Instead of asking for two words - of which the effectiveness would highly depend on the context - write down the sentence(s)/bullets that you would write right now, without thinking about the actual words that you use.

For example:
    “Highly skilled mathematician with innate ability to communicate via IRC.”

17. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I believe that ethical behavior, along with frank and honest communications are vital to the success of any organization.

18. Scepticalscribe, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019

Scepticalscribe

I'd query the use of the word "innate" as it implies, or suggests, an inborn, or natural ability to communicate which is not the case for most people, who have learned their communications, or who have to have learnt how to communicate.

Instead, I'd suggest something along the lines of "very able mathematician with considerable communication skills".

19. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

It still sounds to me like we're not sure the OP is looking for how to say he's ethical or how to say he's willing to work his ass off.

20. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

And, in turn, that might be viewed as a possible problem of communication.