Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the first alternative app marketplaces went live in the European Union today, with developer Riley Testut introducing AltStore PAL, a version of his AltStore that can be accessed in EU countries.

altstore-pal-eu.jpg

AltStore PAL is an open-source app that is designed to distribute apps from independent developers. At launch, it features two apps, including Testut's Delta game emulator and clipboard manager app Clip. Delta is also being simultaneously released in the App Store outside of the European Union, but it looks like EU customers will need to download it from AltStore.

Testut says that once AltStore PAL is "running smoothly," third-party app developers will be able to submit their apps for distribution outside of the App Store. The app marketplace is designed to be decentralized with no directory, so developers will need to self-promote their apps and direct users to their websites to install an app through AltStore.

Distributing apps through AltStore is free of charge, but it is worth noting that apps that see more than one million first annual installs will need to pay Apple an 0.50 euro Core Technology Fee. App marketplaces have to pay the fee for every install with no free allowance, so AltStore is charged 0.50 euros each time it is installed. To afford the fee, Testut is charging 1.50 euros per year for AltStore PAL access.

Testut has been working on AltStore PAL since Apple announced plans to support alternative app marketplaces in iOS 17.4. It is open to all apps, but Testut says that it makes the most sense for "smaller, indie apps that otherwise couldn't exist due to App Store rules."

AltStore PAL is equipped with Patreon integration to allow developers to monetize their apps. Developers can offer their apps to just their patrons, and this method of distribution also allows for a sub-1 million cap on those who can subscribe to use an app.

iPhone users in the European Union can download AltStore PAL from the AltStore website. Alternative app marketplaces are not available outside of the European Union.

Article Link: AltStore PAL Alternative App Marketplace Launches on iPhone in EU

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
My guess its to distinguish it for the inevitable event alternative app marketplaces come to the U.S. and worldwide in the future.

The snowball of litigation is already rolling and growing, Apple is at the bottom of the hill waiting to get hit.
AltStore is also already available from him, so he's distinguishing the EU-specific version of his already existing store from the original.

Havoc035

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2021
Here’s more information on it posted earlier today.

I especially hate that Delta now isn't coming to the App Store in Europe. Now as a European I'm forced to install this other store if I want it. Some people kept claiming that people who don't want to install other stores would never have to but this was always going to happen.

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
I think the most disappointing part due to how the regulations work is that it's not coming to iPadOS and probably never will.

Reactions: brucemr

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I especially hate that Delta now isn't coming to the App Store in Europe. Now as a European I'm forced to install this other store if I want it. Some people kept claiming that people who don't want to install other stores would never have to but this was always going to happen.
Hope this Alt store crap doesn’t come to US. EU can enjoy..

Michary

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
Stuttgart, Deutschland
I‘m also torn about this.. because there is now way as European to install it on an iPad.

But Apple has really put the developers in a difficult position. They build AltStore just to distribute Delta in the first place, and after everything is finished, Apple goes.. nevermind allowed in the AppStore…
I get that they need something to be in the AltStore to make sense

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I‘m also torn about this.. because there is now way as European to install it on an iPad.

But Apple has really put the developers in a difficult position. They build AltStore just to distribute Delta in the first place, and after everything is finished, Apple goes.. nevermind allowed in the AppStore…
I get that they need something to be in the AltStore to make sense
It’s just the beginning, it’s gonna get worse. One of my fav quotes is “Path to hell is paved with good intentions”.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Most of the people making this argument are making it on a scale of large businesses. It was always understood that a lot of single/indie developers would have content not on the App Store but in other sources. However, it's pretty unlikely that major businesses, such as Spotify or Microsoft or Meta, would remove their apps currently in the App Store to an alternative one, because the reality is they would lose a huge amount of user base.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.