Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Facebook makes about $50/year per user in the US & Canada, and about $10/year in the rest of the world.
I was referring to the delta, if they move to their own alt store, and avoid following Apples privacy rules. If they can make in more than 50 cents extra over their current revenue from iOS users, it’s easy math.

Reactions: MikeZTM

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I haven't read anyone who made that distinction.
Same here. And I've seen quite a few people make those arguments. None of them distinguished between large businesses and single/indie developers. All they basically said was this type of scenario would NEVER happen...and this very article completely disproves those claims. Honestly, I figured they'd be proven wrong! Just didn't think it would happen so fast 😂

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I haven't read anyone who made that distinction.
Same here. And I've seen quite a few people make those arguments. None of them distinguished between large businesses and single/indie developers. All they basically said was this type of scenario would NEVER happen.
You know, I don't really scour MacRumors about this topic, so maybe every person here has a super surface level understanding of this topic, but in the many other tech circles I find myself in, across Reddit, Discord, and other online and in real life communities, this seems to be what most people understand.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I can't speak for every person but the main argument isn't that there won't be apps not on the App Store, the argument is that apps won't be pulled from the App Store to be separate.

Touched on this in my last post, but there was always going to be smaller/independent developers that elect to just not be on the App Store and only be independent. The only major company who's given any indication they won't be on the App Store is Epic, and that's only because they are banned from doing so.

A major company like Spotify, or Meta, or Microsoft, or larger institutions like your bank or insurance company aren't going to force users to not use the App Store. We have empirical evidence from pretty much every platform that you have a much stronger reach when you're available in the main software distribution channel. That's not to say these companies won't also be available outside, but it seems pretty unrealistic they would leave the App Store. Delta, an app made by two people in their free time, isn't really representative of what a profit-driven multi-million/billion dollar company would do.

Sorry I don’t agree. It wasn’t the small indie developers who were fighting Apple in the courts for this. It will be the big users who will decide they don’t need Apple and want a share of that. You say only epic because they were banned but part of the reason they were banned is they were agitating for this. Look at the pc market where if you are a gamer you might need to have half a dozen store apps to get the games you want. Apple thankfully was shielded from this as epic didn’t care about the Mac market.

Reactions: iOS Geek

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
This was never meant to benefit the users, not even indie devs, only the big developers..

Like why would you, as a user, want to pay the same amount to download from different stores to get the exact copy of the software?

And noway small indie devs is going to benefit from this either. They will probably need to pay a higher cut as now they are dealing with companies whose only revenue source is the cut from running their alt stores

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Same here. And I've seen quite a few people make those arguments. None of them distinguished between large businesses and single/indie developers. All they basically said was this type of scenario would NEVER happen...and this very article completely disproves those claims. Honestly, I figured they'd be proven wrong! Just didn't think it would happen so fast 😂
It will be the large companies who will protect their turf outside Apple. Meta/FB warned investors on impact of Apple Privacy rule changes. FB can move out track users more intrusively and increase revenue. They can incentivize people who install their Apps from the own Appe store.

MikeZTM

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2019
New Jersey, USA
Epic was banned from the App Store after violating App Store polices. They never made an announcement they were leaving the App Store (because they were forcibly removed years before the DMA was even drafted).

Uber and Meta will follow the rules because the option that lets them not follow the rules results in a major loss of money. Uber and Meta are not high school/college kids making a fun app in their free time. They are companies that intend to make money and collect data.

Sideloaded apps see a small fraction of usage and revenue compared to when the app is available on the main distribution platform.

If you could break any rule at work you wanted with no penalty other than you have to get a very small fraction of your paycheck, would you take that?

They got their account back and doing exactly that.
It will be a major gain of money if they can leave AppStore. They have huge marketing budget to offset the AppStore present lost and can sell your data for much higer profit.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Sorry I don’t agree. It wasn’t the small indie developers who were fighting Apple in the courts for this. It will be the big users who will decide they don’t need Apple and want a share of that. You say only epic because they were banned but part of the reason they were banned is they were agitating for this. Look at the pc market where if you are a gamer you might need to have half a dozen store apps to get the games you want. Apple thankfully was shielded from this as epic didn’t care about the Mac market.

Epic was banned because they wanted to use their own payment system, not because they didn't want to be in the App Store. The reason they're only going to have their products in a separate store is because they quite literally cannot be in the App Store anymore.

In the PC market, most stores that aren't Steam see a small install base. The only other platform to gain any traction is Epic Games Store, which developers still see a fraction of what they do on Steam, despite taking a larger cut.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Most of the people making this argument are making it on a scale of large businesses. It was always understood that a lot of single/indie developers would have content not on the App Store but in other sources. However, it's pretty unlikely that major businesses, such as Spotify or Microsoft or Meta, would remove their apps currently in the App Store to an alternative one, because the reality is they would lose a huge amount of user base.

If large developers like Spotify or Meta benefit from a huge user base... then small developers would also benefit.

I never heard that small developers wanted to leave the App Store.

You need to put your apps where the people are, right?

🤔

Reactions: MikeZTM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
So are we going to end up with hundreds if not thousands of alternative app stores of varying reputability and apps that might only be available in one of them?

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
This was never meant to benefit the users, only the developers..

Like why would you, as a user, want to pay the same amount to download from different stores to get the exact copy of the software?
What percentage of iOS applications available through AltStore are available on the Apple App Store?

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I was referring to the delta, if they move to their own alt store, and avoid following Apples privacy rules. If they can make in more than 50 cents extra over their current revenue from iOS users, it’s easy math.
Right. I was agreeing with you, and showing that they make more than .5 Euro for each user.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

nicolas_s

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
Delta is also being simultaneously released in the App Store outside of the European Union, but it looks like EU customers will need to download it from AltStore.
Great, now us Europeans will have to download all these cr*p alt stores because developers will force us to install their store to use their apps, while US users will enjoy the convenience and safety of having just one official app store for everything. Great user experience.

"But it won't change anything, it'll just give you more choices" they said.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
If large developers like Spotify or Meta benefit from a huge user base... then small developers would also benefit.

I never heard that small developers wanted to leave the App Store.

You need to put your apps where the people are, right?

🤔
In Android world, established alt stores takes up to 80-90% of the cut.

I can only say good luck to the devs who wanted this

con2apple

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
Germany
What competition, Apple competes with Android.
So that Apple is finally in competition with their AppStore and has to deliver quality. In other words, the quality that the company has been promising for years but not delivering.

Apple has ignored its rules for its own apps right from the start. Malware has been smuggled into the AppStore dozens of times. There were already apps that looked like games and turned into crypto apps after one click.

Thanks to incidents like this, we know that Apple's promises of a controlled and secure store are a lie. Nothing is checked as long as Apple gets its commission.

Alternative AppStores can change that.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Great, now us Europeans will have to download all these cr*p alt stores because developers will force us to install their store to use their apps, while US users will enjoy to convenience and safety of having just one official app store for everything. Great user experience.

"But it won't change anything, it'll just give you more choices" they said.
It’s good for us in the US to see the **** show develop in the EU so we don’t have to suffer lmao

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Towards a future where I need to download my applications outside the App Store if I want them to not be gimped by the App Store rules?
You were always able to download them with 3rd party profiles.

And what kind of *** app you need that will be gimped by App Store rules anyway?

But again, it was always available

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.