Alu keyboard smell

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Samuel88, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Samuel88 macrumors newbie

My new alu iMac's keyboard gives off quite a strong smell. It gives me a light headache within a quarter of use. I might be oversensitive to this, but with my iBook I never had similiar problems. Does your keyboards smell, or if they did, how long does it take for it to disappear?

The computer itself gives off a smell, but non-existent compared to the keyboard. The smells are quite similiar I believe.

Thank you,
    Sam

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

3. Samuel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is difficult to pinpoint. It smells chemical, to be more concrete maybe something like a mix of plastic and fuel.

4. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Is this the external keyboard? I am using a MBP with the aluminum external keyboard, and I haven't notices a smell on either one. There's always the smell that new merchandise has, though.

5. Samuel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the external wired aluminium keyboard, yes. Would you say that this keyboard has a stronger smell of new merchandise than other products? Out of curiosity, where is your external keyboard manufactured?

6. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I'm not sure where it was manufactured to be honest. I picked it up in-store.

7. Samuel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you turn the keyboard around, there is a small line of text on the opposite side of the space button. There, it should say that it is designed in California, and also where it is produced. (Assembled, is the word they use I believe.)

8. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Hi Samuel88,

I too noticed a distinctive smell when i unboxed my new aluminium keyboard. It's actually a smell I've noticed before with other Apple products I've bought new in the last few years.

I did wonder if it might be the plastic wrapper Apple put around some parts of their products, for example - the wrap around pieces on iPods, or the peel-off segments on G5/Intel iMacs' aluminium stands.

Or it might be the plastic used in the products, such as the keys themselves.

There is also a certain 'feel' to new Apple products, especially on the keyboards. This wears off at a similar rate to the smell. Maybe it's some kind of finishing chemical they use to clean/repel dust in transit…

9. Samuel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

orbital~debris

Thank you for this very informative post. This what I'm looking for! Then I know that there shouldn't be anything wrong with my keyboard, and I can soon happily use my iMac. Any estimation on how fast this wears off? A month or two? A week?

10. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Samuel88,

Glad my post was helpful :)

My family brought me back the new Apple keyboard when they were near an Apple store (there's not one for miles!) at the end of August.

The smell is mostly gone now and has been for a few weeks i'd say, although its partly that it's blended in and/or i've stopped noticing it (if you get near, there's still a little new-Apple equipment aroma!).

So it's probably about a couple of months, maybe a few weeks less.
    The feeling of the keys wore off much more quickly, after a week or two.
    I don't think there's anything to worry about, but maybe check with Apple if it doesn't gradually disappear…

Oh and I know how you mean about your smell reaction - some perfumes can trigger that effect for me, giving me a sinus headache!

hope you can soon enjoy your new Mac to the full.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That's odd, never had a smell with my aluminum keyboard.

12. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

13. Samuel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, that's all I need to know. Thank you guys. :)

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

15. mpoinar macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem, my keyboard which is 5 days old, smells so badly that I've had it outgassing in my RV. Upon checking it this morning, the odor was as strong as ever so I called Apple and they are sending me a new one. I will let you know if the new one smells that badly too.

I'm sensitive to smells to begin with and this odor really made me ill.

The posts here have been very helpful for me too. :)

Martha

16. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Something stinks about all this!

Maybe you got a rotten Apple?

My alu keyboard squeaks. Or maybe that's the mouse.

17. Samuel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

As the topic got bumped I'll give a status report for other people with the same problem.

Initially my keyboard offgassed so much I couldn't use it. To solve this I put the computer by my balcony door for two days, and I regularly opened the door to get rid of the smell. After two days, the smell was still there, but only when you put your nose to it. I was still bothered by it for a two or maybe three days more. I continued during these day to use the computer with the keyboard on my desk, however I had the window slightly open when I sat by the computer. Now, it's all good.

18. mpoinar macrumors newbie

That's encouraging that the smell finally went away. I pretty much expect the new one to smell as bad as the one that came with my computer but I'm pretty patient - even if it takes months, that's ok as long as then I can use it.

I'm so glad it's ok for you now.

19. Albal macrumors member

I love that smell. When I got my PB I tried to keep it smelling new.

Now we got a new iMac I sniff it all the time.

Can't wait to get another new Apple product and sniff away.

Maybe it's some subliminal messaging to make you buy more?

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Alu iMacs don't smell the same as white iMacs, anyone? :D

21. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hmm I notices this on my alu wireless keyboard too, and in the iPhone. Its common to new Apple products (My AirPort had it, the MM had it, the MacBook had it) but in the iPhone was more concentrated and long lasting (although I must say I love that smell :Dejej) and as you said the one in the keyboard is quite strong, now it has worn off but before that the smell gave me occasional headaches. There was something different in the keyboard, perhaps more chemical related. Maybe its the anodized aluminum or new plastics, however they go away after use.

-Victor

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wow, people seem quite hooked on formaldehyde.

23. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Try putting a couple of drops of fragrant incense oils in the top left corner of your computer. When it warms up a little the aroma will disguise the smell of your key board. ;)

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

new apple stuff smell is better than new car smell and gasoline smell!

25. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

My MacBook had the same "smell" (plastic and fuel, as you put it) when it came back from repair.