Alu Macbook 2.0 vs Blackbook 2.4 CPU Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kubricks, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kubricks macrumors member

I remember seeing some benches but I can't recall where.

Are the new 2.0ghz Macbooks equivalent to the old 2.4 Black or 2.1ghz whites in CPU intensive tasks (non graphic stuff). Is the new buss speed and ram enough to bump it up?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Edit - Saw the link

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

The new MacBooks probably won't be much faster until Snow Leopard. At this point with no GPU-for-regular-tasks support, it won't be any faster.

4. kubricks thread starter macrumors member

But are they comparable in performance to the old 2.4ghz?

I wish I could remember where I saw the benchmarks, if I remember right, the alu 2.0ghz was slightly better than the old 2.4 in most benches.

5. JJBagoose macrumors newbie

You didn't answer the Original Post. It asked about the Black Book And your rational about .8ghz doesn't really make sense.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You would be wrong. The old 2.4 beat the new 2.0 in benchmark tests (excluding graphic stuff of course).

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-and-macbook-pro-performance-october-2008/

The old 2.4 is also very close to the new 2.4 one in performance. When Snow Leopard comes out who knows. No one knows what the benchmarks will be. It will only be guesses right now.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Anandtech did a very good review here http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435

His conclusion was that the previous penryn macbook's performance compared to the new macbook was pretty similar. Not a whole lot of difference.

And the recommendation was to wait for Nehalem if you want to see significant performance increases.

Otherwise, the only reason to buy the new macbook is for the look, led screen, and multi-touch.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

fixed my original post... I made it in a hurry and left it half way to see to my dinner...

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Read the thread. The benchmark tests (link provided) for all of your questions have been answered.