Alu Macbook 2008 -iSight Stopped Working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbedhead, Nov 15, 2010.

1. macbedhead macrumors member

Alu Macbook 2008 -iSight Stopped Working

My iSight suddenly cannot be detected in photobooth /Skype /profiler and yet I had this problem maybe over a year ago with a white Macbook and I followed some instruction about switching users and bingo it worked again.

Can anyone help me on how to re-able my isight...my instinct tells me it is not broken like before.I've been running my Mac to an external LCD and will open it to use Skype with vid to speak to g/f...the blue video button in Skype suddenly grayed out the other day......help !
    I installed Snow Leopard to an external to see if the factory settings would show it was working but nope....

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you get Apple Care with it? If so, call Apple and take it to them.

3. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

4. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

5. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

Dug this up online @ apple :-

Topic : iSight Camera not recognized in 10.6.5

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2644015

but alas I did have 10.6.4 on my back up disc but problem is still there.I'm still sure it is a software issue (or something at a deeper level that needs to be rolled back or patched by Apple) and not dead camera......aaaaaah !
    I'll fix this if it's the last thing I do.

6. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

Anybody else out there got a suddenly dead iSight camera in the last few weeks ?

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nope... Have you tried resetting the SMC? How to reset the SMC.

8. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

Yep tried it.One minute the camera was working then the camera buttons is grayed out in Skype and not showing up in photobooth...

9. borisiii macrumors 6502

Not in the last few weeks, but in January my iSight stopped working (I have the 2.4GHz late 2008 aluminium MacBook).

At first the picture would just freeze every now and again, and later it would say 'no camera connected' in Photo Booth. The hinge would also sometimes make a quiet pop/crack noise when I opened the lid, especially in a cold room, as if it needed lubricating.

I took it to the genius bar at the Apple store in Liverpool, and they told me there was a problem with the display cable. They ordered in a new logic board and display assembly, and once they arrived, fitted them overnight despite telling me it would be 5-7 days. It seemed like overkill to replace both, but it fixed the problem and it was free under applecare, so I'm not complaining.

The cost of the repair on the work authorisation, i.e. what I would have had to pay if it wasn't under warranty was £750 – about $1200, so you'll have to decide if it's worth it to you if you can't get a free repair.

I hope for the sake of your bank balance that it doesn't turn out to be a hardware problem.

10. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

I upgraded to the Skype 5.0 Beta to test it last night and did not like it so I re-installed the old 2.8.0.863 and bingo my camera is working again...the camera connect icon is no longer grayed out.
    It might be because of this fresh install of Skype or I have a problem that comes and goes.Anyway,thanks for the help everyone !