alu macbook crashing my router with WoW

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by unchecked, Nov 7, 2008.

1. unchecked macrumors member

I'm connected to my home's wireless network with the new macbook and when I logged into a character parked in stormwind it crashes my WRT54G router. It means the PC that the router is wired to is unable to access the net and I had to restart my router to start things again.

When I logged into a character that's not in SW it's ok, but I moved him to town and relogged he too crashes my router.

Anybody else having issues with that? Sidenote my battery goes way hot when it's running WoW.

2. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Yeah no way a G router would be able to handle that level of WoW. Get at least a double speed G router, or at best an N or N1 router.

Try this

Or if money is no issue, this is a good option.

Hope this helps!

3. unchecked thread starter macrumors member

Aye thanks for identifying the problem. Gotta add a router when I'm going to shop for a mouse this weekend.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Saw those two options... I was like $119 for a router? Buy an Airport Express Station. It has 802.11n put in so its way faster than any 802.11g router. Also its $20.00 cheaper than that Belkin (may go lower with Education Discount), its Apple Branded (which means better compatibility), its much smaller, it allows up to 50 wireless users at one time (but, are you really gonna have 50 people in you network?)

Edit - I forgot the fact you have a desktop hooked up to your current router. Meh, never mind my idea then. Express Stations don't hook up to desktops unless the desktop has a wireless card in it.

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Is this a belated April Fool's thread??

6. unchecked thread starter macrumors member

Just tested it again. My hunter ran fine in darnassus, but when I logged into my warlock in SW it ran for like 5 seconds before crashing.
    Confirmation that the router's not strong enough or the mb's airport?

7. cube macrumors G5

8. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Must be April

Im in agreement.. "g" speed would handle anything WoW could throw at it... be sure all firmware has been updated, turn off security (briefly) and retest.

9. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Yeah I hope the G router thing is a joke. Your internet's maximum bandwidth could NEVER cap out your router..

The problem lies somewhere else - packet configuration might be bad, hit the reset button on your router and try again.

10. unchecked thread starter macrumors member

That's what I did, I had to reset my router everytime I head into SW and it crashes when I tried once more.
    Anyways I contacted Blizz tech support for that too.

11. cube macrumors G5

Go to the Linksys support page for your router, establish the hardware version using the serial number, and check if there's any firmware update.

If there's a Linksys firmware update, try that first. Otherwise, you might try installing a small version of DD-WRT according to the notes for your particular hardware version.

12. unchecked thread starter macrumors member

Yep. Thanks for the router firmware idea. It fixed the issue. :)