Alu MacBook startup time on SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nden, Oct 25, 2008.

1. nden macrumors member

Today I just got a Patroit 64GB SSD and successfully fresh installed the OSX from the DVD.

I did startup time (shut down then Power up). It takes 24s to load. Well I still have the old HD as a backup now.

So, how long does it take for your alu MacBook startup?

OH, I have 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 13" MB (the lowest model).

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

27s from pressing the power button to boot up and pick up my wireless signal.

3. nden thread starter macrumors member

With the original 5400rpm HD? and what macbook u got?

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

this is with an ocz core ssd. i have the 2.4 mb al

5. Philflow macrumors 65816

fuzzielitlpanda do you experience any stuttering with the OCZ Core? (is it V2?)

and what about you nden, any stuttering with the patriot?

6. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

no that's the thing the ocz core works fantastic on the new mb. i really can't explain it because i had so many problems with the ocz core on other laptops (eee 1000h), but it works flawlessly on the mb.

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

Great. I've been reading that by many people. Same goes for Patriot Warp.

So is yours V2?

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Hey guys I have a question, what is the make and model of the ssd that Apple offers on their site as an upgrade? I think it's like 500 bucks for Apple to put in a ssd when you order your new macbook. How does the one Apple sells compare to other brands out there in terms of performance and price?

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

It is said to be the Samsung MLC and it's said to be good. Don't know if it's true though.

10. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

V1 :eek:. honestly, i thought i was screwed with my v1 ssd, but the mb has brought it back to life :D.

11. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

How about battery life, is there any increase ? And also compress/decompress files performance. :confused:

12. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i installed the ocz ssd right when i got my mb, so i can't comment on battery life, but i'm pretty sure there is some battery savings just because of the technology. decompress feels just as fast as when using a normal hdd. sorry i don't have numbers for you, but it's one of the best investments i've ever made.

13. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

What time did you get with the original drive, I guess it was the 5400rpm ?

14. nden thread starter macrumors member

I didn't time with the original drive (yes it was 5400rpm). Someone here could do it for me please.

I haven't done any major/heavy run on MB yet, so far no stuttering with the Patriot Wrap yet. But I notice everything loads much faster.

For fully recharged battery, It reads about 5hr remain. Before with the original HD, it only gave me about 3hr. I guess with the SSD it gave me more battery life.

15. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

I mean its not an apples to apples comparison since my system is probably different from yours in terms of what its loading. But i disabled all start-up items and startups take on avg 58 secs and shutdowns take 30 sec. I have some weird network processes that are occurring at start up so my tests are probably showing slower results than a brand new macbook (w a fresh install) that didnt have all previous settings and apps transfered from an old macbook.

16. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

Could you please test the battery usage time in real life usage ? Sometimes, the measurement is not accurate.

17. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

18. Dairyman macrumors member

19. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I'll weigh in with my reports when my OCZ Core v2 comes tomorrow !

20. Philflow macrumors 65816

What drive?

21. ice00 macrumors newbie

25s in my old white Core2Duo 2.0 with an Hitachi 7k200 and 38s in my new Alu 2.4 with the same drive!!! Someone is having the same problem? Isn't 38s too much?

22. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Just received my OCZ replacement (sent in V1, got V2 :D)... haven't opened yet, debating re-selling it and forgetting the whole SSD for another year... what should I do? :confused:

23. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Might as well put it in and give it a go, let us know what happens cos mine's on its way !

Why did you send the old one back ?

24. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Excessive stuttering in my laptop (PC), what else? :cool: