Alu. MB Bezel Is Coming Off?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acfusion29, Feb 8, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

:eek::eek::eek:

Just noticed it today, and on the left side of my MB, the bezel is slowly getting... unglued? When it happened earlier I pressed it down and held it in but now it just popped back out again.

I don't really care, but I think this may pose a problem eventually causing some dust to get under the glass.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You might not care now, but that could cause serious issues later, if you can take it in. I had something similar and it was repaired within the hour.

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It's underneath the glass - take a photo would you?

4. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well, I don't have time now with school but I will definitely go when I got some time.

I tried to take one but it was impossible to notice in the picture.

5. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

No, ok maybe I wasn't clear lol.

Glass covering the screen has a black trim around it, basically painted on right? The left side of the glass covering the screen is pealing off, as if the glue is not strong enough.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The glass is peeling off?

7. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yeah. Strange...

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I know i'm stating the obvious here, but TAKE IT IN right away... not good.

9. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Made sometime this evening and I'm going to the Apple Store at 5:15.

Hopefully they can do it on the spot cause I'm in a mobile program for college and need the laptop everyday in class. I'm sure the glue just needs to be re-applied anyways.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

10. paolo- macrumors 6502a

While you were able to take a good look at the "glass". Is it really made out of glass, I personally have doubts :S .

11. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'm not sure what your trying to ask, I don't physically have that part of the computer in my hand.

Anyways. I just got back from the Apple store and they are ordering me a new display. Should be here Wednesday and then they will do the replacement.

P.S. the genius saw my 500GB in my MacBook. Didn't say anything about my warranty being voided so if you clowns are still so sure that making upgrades to your Macs voids it then you can seriously just f-off. I'm sick of all those threads.

12. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Why would anyone think it will void the warranty? Do you think Apple would have spent all that time and $$ into the new design for nothing? Plus, the only threads I see about voiding warranty for HDD upgrade are the older MacBook Pros, which I understand their concern. Taking apart the whole laptop does tend to void the warranty..

13. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Haha...sorry for bringing this up, b/c I know you're sick of "all those threads", but did you ask the Genius about the Macbook Pros? Your computer is a Macbook, so I already knew that the warranty wouldn't be voided.

Still not sure about the Macbook Pros though, cuz there's a thread saying that some geniuses told ppl that it would void warranties on the Pros (the last poster, in particular)...

To be clear, I'm not trying to provoke your anger or anything (although, you do seem excessively angry about this)...I'm just wondering b/c I'm looking into a new HD from my MBP.

Thanks.

EDIT: Btw...I have an early 2008 MBP (non-uni)

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The new Unibody MacBook's and MacBook Pro's hard drives are now located beside the battery and are user replaceable. Previously, to locate the hard drive meant dismantling the laptop, which if a clumsy person did, could do some damage and that wouldn't be covered.

The Unibodies have been designed with changing the hard drive in mind, and it is just a breeze.

15. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Patriks7, there was a lengthy discussion in regards to warranty on Apple laptops. It started with the new 17" MBP.

miggitymac, the new MBP's and MB's are built the exact same way. The drives are accessible easily compared to the previous models.

Kilamite, I understand but I believe all the Unibody's were in the discussion before. I don't remember or even wanna recall that thread :p

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I say peel it off entirely and you don't have to deal with a glossy display. :D

17. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

AFAIK, the actual display is glossy, so it wouldn't matter, although I would love a silver bezel and some white keys from eBay :p

18. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Erm..thanks, but that doesn't really answer the question for me (as an early 2008, non-uni owner). Btw - sorry for the temporary high-jacking of your thread...hope your replacement display turns out well!

That'll do. I'm not usually clumsy, but the thought of messing up my MBP accidentally is enough to make me get an Apple guy/gal to put in my HD. Thanks. :D

19. Nobita macrumors 6502

Wait... Assuming you're under warranty, you're getting that display for free and they going to do the surgery for you? That's way cool man... Which apple store did you go to, if I may know (or in which country/state?)

20. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I did say I have an Aluminum MacBook... which was released in October, so I have to be under warranty.

And I live in Toronto, went to Sherway's Apple Store.

21. Nobita macrumors 6502

You made me even more confident to upgrade my Apple care before it ends this October now... =)

EDIT: October, not February

22. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Just an update on the status...

Well, the Apple store hasn't called me back, despite the guy telling me they would call Wednesday for sure. The glue has weakened, and is barely sticking anymore.

I took one of those things that you stick to the window and when you pull it won't move unless you do it with force (forgot the name.. lol :rolleyes:), but it was something from my little brothers toy. I stuck it to the side and pulled a bit to see if I would be able to apply some of my own glue and save me the hassle with the Apple store and I can. I looked inside and there is so much dust on the side, but that's not my concern.

Tomorrow I'm most likely going to put some super glue in there and see if it will stay, if not then I guess I have no choice but to get Apple to fix it.

23. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You may just void your warranty with superglue. Try some masking tape to hold it in place till you get it to the store, or some cushioned bulldog clips.

24. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't think I would void my warranty, how would they know? I'm just gluing it back to how it should've been. The glass shouldn't be coming off this easily.

The reason I want to do it myself is that they want to keep my computer for a couple of days. I can't do that, I'm in a mobile program in college and I NEED to bring a laptop to class, or I'm better off just staying at home. I didn't pay a couple of grand to sit around at home and watch TV. :rolleyes: