Aluminium corrodes (?), any "cleaning" solution ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by leez, Feb 5, 2012.

1. leez, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

leez macrumors regular

leez

Hi.

My Air is now over 3 years old and has some corroded aluminium (?) on its body (see photo attached). Do you know any cleaning solution to make it look less bad :) ? I know I can't revert it, but...any ideas how to make it at least aluminium color ? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. shadowarachh macrumors member

since when does aluminum rust?

just get a silver sharpie and touch it up.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not rust, it's the paint chipping off the edges. You can try repainting it, but it's just going to chip again.

4. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

5. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

Is it that wet in the UK, that even laptops corrode? :D

6. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

:). It might be sweat. It's where I keep my hand when working...

7. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I would try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Another option I have used for scratches is Nuvis plastic scratch remover.

8. simsaladimbamba

Might we know, which part of the MBA this is? I have trouble locating it in my mind with a a three year old MBA.

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It appears to be the edge to the right of the trackpad

10. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

It's next to the touchpad. Attached new photo.

BTW. It's happening just below the touchpad as well (not so bad tho, should be visible in this photo). I'm using iKlear to clean my Mac from time to time.

Attached Files:

11. simsaladimbamba

Thanks, couldn't get my head around the black slit (the IR receiver I guess?).

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

No problem, yes that was the IR receiver, It was there until they over halled the design in 2010 (yet they still have not made a remote for current macbook air users?

13. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

14. shadowarachh macrumors member

either way my idea of the silver sharpie would still work, be inexpensive, and easy to reapply.

15. Rampant.A.I., Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Untreated aluminum isn't very corrosion resistant. Ever see what happens to single-pane aluminum frame windows on a house in a few decades? They look like swiss cheese. :p

If you're up to the challenge, I would use the Magic Eraser mentioned above (micro abrasive), and if that doesn't work, try a SMALL amount of metal polish that says it's safe to use on aluminum on the label on a paper towel, some 0000 steel wool with a tiny amount of mineral oil, or a super fine grit nail-buffing block. Not a nail file; the foam multi-colored blocks you see girls doing their nails with that barely feel abrasive to the touch.

Polish the area gently until you see the corrosion coming off, and make sure you're happy with the results before you continue.

...By the way, folks, the UMBP and MBA's are bead-blast raw aluminum, not painted. They should at least be clear coated or hard anodized, but Apple has chosen to leave them raw, hence the quick wear and very low scratch resistance.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Incorrect. They are powder-coated. The powder coat is what is chipping off; there is no corrosion evident on the aluminum itself.

17. Beanoir, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

They most certainly are not raw aluminium, if they were they'd be oxidising in front of your very eyes (not corroding or rusting by the way). They don't even look or feel like raw aluminium anyway, how can you get that mixed up?

As rightly mentioned above, they have a form of powder coating or actually anodising to be more correct.

If they were not coated even the oils in your skin can have a high enough ph to start dissolving raw aluminium.

18. leez, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Doesn't bother me so much, was just wondering as I'm preparing myself for the new Pro :). Don't know yet if I'm going to sell it tho, as this little sucker has 62GB SSD in it now (old 80GB HDD died 2 months ago), coolbook on Snow Leopard and is doing quite well...

Does this "scratch" counts as a factory related imperfection/damage/error ? It's after the warranty period.

And have to add, that I've had the hinge crack problem. Twice. They replaced the whole top (with screen) twice, after the warranty.

19. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Only Apple can answer that, but I'd guess they would call that normal wear and tear. Take it in and see what they say...

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, that's what happens with me :eek: My two year old MacBook Pro has been corroded with my sweat...

21. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

...or someone here, who already went there with the same problem. If not, I'll go sometime and come back "to report" :).

22. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Well it HAS been 5 days - you may just have to do the legwork. Good luck.

23. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the clarification... I did wonder about that, didn't know uncoated aluminum corrodes so dramatically.

In that case, apparently it's a very thin coating, and not very durable, as it wears thin and lets the PH of your hands cause stains or in the OP's case, start corroding the metal.

I have a lot of Type III hard-anodized aluminum gear that is amazingly wear-resistant. The treatment Apple is using seems to scratch if you breathe on it too hard.

24. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Yes, yes it bloody well is :(
    ...and cold, it's really cold too. But we will be ok, we love whinging about the weather, it's like our favourite thing to do here.

25. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes, but how much of that gear has your hands literally sitting on it 6 hours a day, every working day? I also think this is specific to the sweat and PH of each individual - obviously its not a common enough issue to sway Apple's design choices.