Aluminium iPhone 4 case - Alcase

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iphone4evar, Oct 3, 2011.

1. iphone4evar macrumors newbie

This is my 1st post - greetings from Japan!

I just saw this case - looks really good. Anyone tried it?

http://www.alcasestore.com/

2. lunarken macrumors regular

looks like e13..

3. iphone4evar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh thats what i thought too, but its good to see someone making them in europe and for only £35. That's ... $54 in America.

e13 has the 6 screws on the front too.

4. tuzzle macrumors newbie

batman phone

Hey, I just got one of these as I got fed up with the rubber cases getting loose and slipping. Am super pleased with it, it's really strong and stiff and they look class. I went for the black one - its like a batman phone (Christian Bale not Adam West)!

5. stfwayne macrumors regular

Could you post some pics of the black one when you get it?

Looks like a great case just wondering if the blacks match, and in general how it looks up close as the pics on the site are not that good

also at 50+ its not that bad

6. tuzzle macrumors newbie

Yeah ill get some pics up as soon as. Just back from holiday and in a state of chaos still! The blacks fit really nicely but I'll upload some pics so you can see.

7. slapppy macrumors 65816

Signal test?

8. TestedLion macrumors member

just ordered

That case looks quite nice. I just placed my order for a black/black one just now. Can't wait to get it! Leicester, UK is home to quite a # of high-end CNC shops - seems to be something a centre for this process. I have no doubt the fit & finish of the case is excellent. With shipping, the order came out to $85 Canadian.

Will update here with photos once it comes in the mail and is assembled and, of course, will provide field test.

9. TestedLion macrumors member

Damn...

Place my order yesterday...It's already set for delivery (here in Vancouver, BC) tomorrow by noon.

This company handles their orders promptly. I wasn't aware that FedEx Priority mail meant overnight service :)

Full review by tomorrow when I get back from school...

I hope their use of high-quality plastic for the back, along with the aluminum front, negates the signal loss issues other cases have.

10. stevepollock macrumors newbie

I just got one of these as I got fed up with the elastic cases accepting apart and slipping. Am cool admiring with it, it's absolutely able and annealed and they attending class. I went for the atramentous one - its like a batman phone

11. tuzzle macrumors newbie

Pictures!

Yeah, I got my one really really fast too. Have had no problems what so ever with signal, the way they are designed means that the plastic liner makes it impossible for the phone to touch the metal. As promised have a look at my batman phone:

Attached Files:

12. JayJayJay macrumors member

The metal touching the phone isn't the ONLY reason that metal cases cause reception issues. Creating any sort of metal cage around the antenna, whether or not it actually TOUCHES the antenna, often times creates signal degradation.

13. tuzzle macrumors newbie

Jjj - I didn't know that, interesting to know. Still not had any problems with this case.

14. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting them mate, cheers, Happy Holidays :)

15. TestedLion, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

TestedLion macrumors member

So, received the case..installed it.

Impressions:

Shipping: Next day from the UK to Vancouver, BC.

Installation: It's a little tricky. Included instruction sheet makes it clear the case has to be "slid" on and "pushed" down at the same time. It fits quite snugly and securely. Edit: Just make sure you actually follow the instruction sheet and install it phone face down...putting the plastic back on last...makes things much simpler.

Hand feel: Damn, it feels very, very nice. The slickness of the case (no sharp edges anywhere) and the nature of the materials makes my iPhone 4S feel "lighter" in my hand. It's quite an interesting feel. However, the case is not slippery. The machined grooves are just perfect for providing nice resting spots for the fingers. The hand feel is truly excellent..and because of the roundedness of the surfaces, it slides in and out of the pocket easily..unlike my former Albee Style 02 case.

Finish: Quite, quite excellent. It really is a high-end case and looks like you expect it to.

Comes with: A screwdriver and 2 extra screws.."star" style. They are nice and strong screws - not so small that the fitting for the driver will strip. Also, the case comes in a cute little tin. A bit overdone, the tin, but nice nonetheless. See gallery for pics of this.

Interference with signal: This is the best part. Not a single bit! I did a field test as I rode the skytrain here in Vancouver..and I got great signal everywhere. Zero degradation, far as I can tell. Used speedtest at school on our wireless, and it's the same speed as on my Macbook pro.

Finally - a really sweet, high-end bumper that doesn't wreck the signal :)

And, like tuzzle says..it actually does look like a 'bat phone' which I equate with the case's sleek, minimal look. This case perfectly suits the look I want from my iPhone - minimal, futuristic and no logo visible anywhere. I only slightly regret not getting the silver top.

just a quick note about the pics. One of them makes the black backing look grey. It's not. The aluminum front and plastic back reflect the flash differently. They are both the same black in real life.

imgur gallery: http://imgur.com/a/kzN4A#0

Attached Files:

16. RA19 macrumors regular

Hoping my White case with Orange top will arrive in the mail tomorrow (in UK).
    Will try to get some photos up soonest :)

17. slapppy macrumors 65816

No signal impact! Okay I'm really intrigued with this one.... :)

18. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

It looks very nice.

However, I may be the only one but it seems fishy the thread starter and all reviewers are "newbies." Just saying wouldnt be the first time.

19. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Well I can confirm that this isn't a joke of a case or company. I just received me review unit in the new white series. What others have stated about this case is absolutely true.

Attached Files:

20. RA19 macrumors regular

Didn't realise I was a newbie, lol. oh well ....

21. TestedLion macrumors member

Was Alcase even selling cases in July of 2011 when I registered? Hmmm.

I think my post history is hardly typical of a shill for a case seller.

I'd also like to point out that if you look at my imgur gallery, you will see my photos hardly show off the case. Most of those accounts who registered to sell cases (like a certain very expensive and popular case, ahem) have photos that look extremely professional.

Just saying.

----------

Yeah...for me it was a sigh of relief. I wanted something stylish...that didn't take away from the look of the iPhone..so that leaves (in my taste) aluminum cases. But, far as I know, _all_ of the other brands of aluminum case kill the signal...or reduce it enough that low signal areas ='s no signal. Funny thing is that I was just wishing the day I came across this thread, "Why doesn't someone just make a plastic/aluminum case?"

22. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Not to necro an old thread, but I'm actually receiving an Alcase Hybrid tomorrow, according to FedEx anyways.

Just wanted to ask, can a Spectra Wrap from The LuckyLabs fit under the case? More for aesthetics than anything :3

23. Catcher macrumors regular

I might pull the trigger on this. Can I just confirm we are all agreed that there's no signal problems with this case?

24. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Those iPad 2 cases look pretty legit as well.. I don't have an iPad, but if I did, I'd probably have to fork over for one, even if I only used it for a week (like I do with my iPhone cases lol)

25. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I've used the case for a few weeks and never experienced any reception drop offs or problems