Aluminium macbook appreciation !

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kierennyc, Feb 7, 2011.

1. kierennyc macrumors regular

Well, still using my 2008 day one release 2.4ghz Alu macbook and its still solid as a rock!

Without a doubt my best computer purchase in terms of value, length of use and reliability.

It still holds its own with the current line of 13' pros.

Ive popped in a 1TB drive and 8GB ram and love this machine.

Im ready to sacrifice the superdrive for a dual drive set-up (SSD), but the only thing stopping me is the thought of having to set up all the applications I use to read/save to a different location than what theyre loading from. Maybe ill give it a go.

Anyway, just wanted to say im a satisfied customer :D

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

My 2.4 is still rocking as well. Use it everyday too. Very well built machine. It was also my first Mac.

3. iPadztr macrumors 6502

I have a late 2008 Macbook alum unibody and I'm just wondering if going to 8gig is worth it.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

6. Djhyper66 macrumors newbie

yeah best macbook ever

pretty cheap to upgrade everything on your macbook with the max!!!

1tb cost about 120 dollars now, (take about 2-3 hours to copy the drive new drive and install.)
    Snow only cost 28 bucks , took a hour to do!!!
    8 gb ram cost like 90-100 dollars.(laptop been running good!!!) took 10 minutes max to changes.

all the instructions to do this are on youtube as well, super simple!!!

only isses i ever had was a star screw that was on the bottom of the track pad got loose and didn't register clicks good, tighten the screw and everything perfect.

7. chundel macrumors newbie

Appreciation is right, I got mine for xmas 2008 the 2.0Ghz model, I upgraded the HDD to 320GB I feel pretty stupid now knowing 1TBs were about 40 bucks more :p bumped to 4GB and got snow leopard for xmas 2010 best stocking stuffer ever, couldn't be more happier, Only complaint is the Graphics card as its now 2 years old and with game updates I now get 55fps hahah like I can seriously tell the difference.
    I personally say good on apple on finally putting real cards/chipsets into their consumer laptops again allowing them to live alot longer, I remember returning my 2nd gen macbook cause the GMA 950 was pigeon poo and lagging even the interface when doing aaaaaanything graphic orientated. yaay apple all we need now is some clever genius mastermind to port DirectX (at 100% performance) for mac and then watch all the PC'ers cry as we kick them at there own game muhaha ^_^

8. dorkster macrumors newbie

Regardless of performance issues, I love it for it's actual durability! I dropped it off my kitchen counter onto my ceramic floor. Not a hint of damage! Gotta love it.

9. Nobita macrumors 6502

I have the same model, the 2.0 GHz one. I thought maximum ram is 4GB?

I have 4GB right now and planning to upgrade to SSD sometime in the future :)

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The 2.4ghz Aluminum MacBook was my first mac. I loved it. Used it for about 2 years, than sold it and put that money towards the 15" MacBook Pro I now have.

11. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

I also thought the max ram was 4GB. In fact, I just upgraded from 2GB to 4GB yesterday because 4GB DDR3 is now silly-cheap at $50 for crucial ram. Still, I wouldn't mind beefing it up even further.

And I certainly wouldn't mind upgrading that 250GB drive for something a little more spacious.

12. Nobita macrumors 6502

Lets ask the OP.... Is the maximum RAM really 8GB? If that's the case I'd upgrade to 8GB one day!

13. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

With the latest firmware update, max RAM is 8 GB - but stability issues have been reported in rare cases. Even before the update, you could upgrade to 6 GB.

14. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Same thing happened to my old Unibody MacBook and it dented the corner, but it wasn't even noticeable. I sold my machine a few months ago because I was strapped for cash and I bought a used white MacBook which is really great, but I do miss things about my Unibody, specifically the build quality and the graphics card.

15. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Wait, so now the late 2008 unibody MacBooks support 8GB of RAM?? When did this happen? I bought a 6GB kit from OWC in October 2010, and the site said that was the most these models supported. I don't recall having gotten a firmware update since then, so when did the limit change?

16. Vel macrumors member

When I go there it still says the max is 4GB...

17. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Hmm, the page I'm looking at still says the limit for the aluminum unibody MacBooks is 6GB, not 8GB...

18. Vel macrumors member

I have just checked it now and this is what it shows:
    [​IMG]

19. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

Regardless of what that site says, I can confirm 8GB works fine in the alu-macbook. You'll also find numerous other alu-macbook owners using 8GB and posting about it in these forums in various threads.

Ive been using 8GB for about a month now with no problems at all.

One of the recent software updates must have unlocked the machines ability to use 8GB.

20. Vel macrumors member

Sorry for making it sound like I don't believe you, but is there any chance you could post a screenshot of your 'Hardware' tab from System Profiler, as if this is true I'm going to invest in some more RAM,

Thanks,

Vel

21. B.winkle macrumors member

I have the 13.5" MBP. Love the aluminum body! Feels solid.

22. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

Do a search. There are plenty of threads confirming that 8GB now works in the 2008 Aluminium MacBook.

I agree on its durability, and I honestly don't need to upgrade. I bought it with a 128GB SSD, so it remains quick. I do wish to goodness I could take the glass enclosure off, though, and replace it with a silver bezel.

23. ApexBoost macrumors member

I love mine as well. It's upgraded to 4gb RAM and a 500gb HDD. I've got Snow Leopard and partitioned 100gb towards Windows 7, I couldn't be happier with it.

24. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I just bought an Aluminum MB 2Ghz and couldn't be happier. :) I got it with an upgraded 500GB WD Black drive,new battery and speck case. :D
    I through in 4GB if RAM I had laying around,(pulled 2GB out of my Thinkpad lol) It doesn't need 6GB of RAM. and It runs more solid than it too. I bought SL a few days ago and this machine is great. Love it and don't plan to replace it till it's dead. :)