Aluminum Case vs Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ron1990, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ron1990 macrumors member

Hey,
    I guess other people have asked that question a million times.
    I wonder between Space Black Stainless Steel and Nike Space Gray Aluminum.
    I am in a country where the cellular services on apple watch are still not supported, and my main use is for sports (running / swimming / walking).
    I'm the kind of person who like to upgrade every year so I'm wondering how much it's worth to spend a decent amount of money on Stainless Steel watch
    Thanks

2. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

3. Mapple86 macrumors 6502

Especialy if you are thinking about the gray/black versions, I dont think that the SS black is so much nicer than the space gray alunimun.
    If you want to choose from this two, you can pair the same bands with both.
    So you only have to think about the scratch resistance of the display.
    The SS body is more scratch resistant too, but the aluminum is good too.
    As you want to upgrade every year, I would buy the SG Aluminum.

4. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

The SS is better quality as far as looks, material, and durability but if you can’t activate LTE and you plan to update every year it’s a no brainer, get the aluminum and save a bunch of money.

5. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

6. ron1990 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Space Gray Aluminum Case Black Sport Loop (gps only) to the Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Nike Sport Loop (gps only)? what is better?

is the Black Sport Loop is the same band apple sold in version 3 ("black sport loop - hook and loop clousure - 42mm)?

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

The Nike version reflects light for higher visibility in the dark.

8. ron1990 thread starter macrumors member

Is that all the difference?

9. Mapple86 macrumors 6502

The Nike has extra Nike watch faces.
    I would not buy a normal one. The nike faces are nice to have and the resell is better too.
    The black nike loop looks better in my opinion, and you can buy other straps too if you dont like the reflective in the dark.

10. ron1990 thread starter macrumors member

thank you! I just orderd the
    Apple Watch Nike+ Series 4 GPS, 44mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Nike Sport Loop :)

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you’re someone else also concerned about resale value, the aluminum would be the most obvious choice. The stainless has the the Sapphire display, but it’s all terms of aesthetics for the price point difference.

12. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

That thread totally convinced me I was right in getting aluminum. So thanks to whoever posted that

13. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

This is easy. For you, go aluminum. You'll upgrade every year and you don't have cellular service. Base aluminum will be half a SS and resale, from what I can see on the used sites, not a whole lot less.

Although, ironically, with almost the same use case, I've been waiting for the SS to show up in force. II'll bang the watch. so I'm not sure the aluminum would hold up well. I'm also coming from a Fenix and the aluminum feels way too light to me in the store. I probably wouldn't care after a couple of weeks though.

Might consider a sports orientated brand also. The Apple watch is kind of an eco-system thing that's decent/good at some sports tracking but not nearly as good as you'll get in some of the other brands which focus on running, and if you go Garmin, you'll get Spotify with the right watch (on the way, but not all the way on the AW). But, the other brands won't call 911 if I wind up in a ditch or unlock my mac so there's those things too.

14. Mapple86 macrumors 6502

What I dont like with the aluminium, is how the band connectors look like in it.
    Most Band connectors (especially the genuine apple ones) are shiny SS.
    Using sport bands/loops in aluminium is no problem, but learher bands and ss bands does not look so good.

15. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

dont think about resale value when dealing with SS .. use it for at least 2yrs ...

16. Mapple86 macrumors 6502

Yes I did a little calculation for Germany resell market. Still dont know what to do.

Money lost after 1 year:
    SS 400€ - per Year 400€
    Alu 200€ - per Year 200€

Money lost after 2 years:
    SS 550€ - per Year 275€
    Alu 300€ - per Year 150€

Money lost after 3 years:
    SS 600€ - per Year 200€
    Alu 350€ - per Year 116€

So you could buy every year a aluminum or every 3 years a SS to spend the same Money.

17. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

I wish they could come up with matte finish stainless or aluminum model with sapphire screen

18. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

You do raise a good point in that most of Apple's band connectors for stainless are silver SS and it's not a good match for Aluminum. But you could always go leather loop or order a 3rd party band, there are plenty of good options that at least offer something that doesn't stick out quite as bad with Space Gray.

19. BasicGreatGuy, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Don't forget the SS model comes with more storage (16GB) versus the Aluminum (8GB).

Disregard. I did not know that the Series 4 models all come with 16 GB.

20. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

Actually, I believe they're all coming with 16 on Series 4.

21. Krysk macrumors newbie

Fact

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is an important fact I missed hearing / reading about. Thank you for the correction on the new models.

23. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

If you're keeping it 2+ years. Get the Stainless model

24. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

This also wasn’t entirely true last time with Series 3 - LTE models of series 3 had 16GB regardless of casing

25. pixel_junkie macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

If you’re into sports, in my opinion it’s a no brainer. You want the less heavy one and the difference is significant. Actually, I don’t see why anyone would go for SS. If durability is a concern, just get Apple Care +. It’s still going to be cheaper in the long run.