Aluminum Macbook 2 ghz or Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KidZgOtMac, Jul 20, 2010.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

So, I recently graduated from high school and I will be going to College in September, I will be initially majoring in Office Administration but I plan to transfer over to either Computer Information Systems or Computer Engineering. I will be getting a $1000 grant at the end of July and I will have about $400 extra plus maybe selling my iPod touch which I dont want to. There is a guy holding a 2 ghz aluminum macbook upgraded 4Gb RAM and 320 HD in great conditions almost new with Windows 7 and XP running in Parallel desktop, microsoft office, final cut, etc. for $980 for me until I get the money. I was thinking of buying a 13 inch Macbook Pro which is 2.4 ghz 4GB Ram 250HD backlit keyboard, etc. But i dont want to go ahead and blow almost $300 more on 400 mhz and a backlit keyboard plus less programs. What should I do?

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Just locate a slightly used first gen 13in MBP on Craigslist. If you look hard enough you should be able to locate the 2.26GHz version for under $1000. Then just buy a 4GB upgrade if you need it. That way you'll have a better system for not much more money than the 2.0.

3. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I live in Puerto Rico & trust me, I've done my research, tried ClasificadosOnline dot com which is like the local craiglist but I only found the Macbook I speak of and the other Macbook Pros are far from where I live, have been sold already or lack the programs and memory as the 2.0 Ghz offers me. I dont want to have to buy a new Macbook Pro and buy MS Office and the other programs it already has like Win7 and WinXP. The program/s I will be majoring in will require a good usage of my laptop, although I have a main desktop computer at home which works great and is not old or laggy.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you should go for the Macbook if he gives you the software discs.
    If you can afford the Macbook Pro, you'll get a faster computer (processor, graphics) and get better battery life.

5. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

This 13" Aluminum Macbook I'm being offered for $980 has:

2.0 Ghz
    4 GB RAM
    320 GB HD
    Microsoft 2008
    Parallel Desktop
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Windows XP Professional
    iLife 09
    iWork 09
    Final Cut

Attached Files:

6. Xenophon macrumors regular

I say go for the macbook but if and only if you get all the original discs and the registration key originals for the MS-products. Else it's not a good deal.

7. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Why so?

8. Xenophon macrumors regular

If you don't get the original discs/license proof, chances are that the software is pirated (talking about the MS products of course). That's one consideration. The main thing is that without this legitimate software value factored into the deal, you'd be paying too much for what you're getting imho.

Anyway, personally I'm through with all that pirated stuff. Everything I have on my mac is bought and paid for or was freeware from the beginning.

9. vukmaxim macrumors member

vukmaxim

Go for it
    It is a good machine
    Check the battery condition!

10. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Never mind this thread any longer, I wont be getting my scholarship until september so the Macbook deal is off.