Aluminum Macbook HDD specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by silverblack, Nov 4, 2008.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Seeing others having ultra-fast startup times with SSD installed in their new macbooks, I am thinking about upgrading my stock HDD to SSD as well.

I was in an Apple reseller (not Apple store) this morning picking up a micro-display adapter, and curiously asked if they can order an SSD that Apples puts in the custom order macbooks. Not surprising, the answer was NO. But he started saying that those SSD are custom drives that need special adapters. So no 3rd party SSD will fit the new macbooks.

Is it BS? I thought the new Aluminum macbooks use the same standard 2.5" HDD as the plastic macbooks. They will take any 2.5" 9.5 mm drives, right?

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Uhh, I'm pretty certain that the macbook will use any 2.5" SATA drive. How that guy can work at that shop and say something so ridiculous is beyond me.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

4. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

Thanks. But I on this forum that one HDD is too thick for the MB and will only fit in the MBP. Any thoughts?

Post #6 -
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=594091

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I third what phobic99 said.

How can he even be hired for such a job he isn't qualified for?

6. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Neither an in-store genius or the saleskid that helped me would confirm that my existing 2.5" WD Scorpio would work in my new MBP.

"It should but I don't know about installing 3rd party hardware; it will probably void the warranty."

Seriously... that was the response I got in the store. If they're looking to help people move over from Vista, they need more training on that move. I was standing around waiting for my machine and I ended up helping another customer that had a Vista -> Mac question.

7. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's worse. I think he was one of the managers. Having said that, he would have been confused with the MB Air.

8. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

You're right, it is BS. I know people who have upgraded to SSDs on their own.