Aluminum MacBook & iLife 09

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shady825, Jan 8, 2009.

1. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I dont know if its just me but I kinda feel screwed. All the people who just bought new MacBooks should be able to upgrade to iLife 09 for free or at a minimal cost.
    To be honest there really isnt anything I care about to much in iLife 09 but I just feel It should be available for free or a discounted price to those who bought new unibody MacBooks. (cheaper than $79)

Anyone else?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

you can upgrade for a very small fee ($9.95) if you bought your macbook after 6th jan

this has already been posted (can't ind link at the mo .. busy at work)

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's already available at a discount. $9.95 for anyone buying as of today.

Why should Apple give you a discount for a product that didn't exist when you bought your computer (if you're talking about ALL unibody owners)?

4. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

WHOA! I didnt know that!! Thanks guys! and sorry for the re-post!

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I agree. I know it may frustrate, I for one will not reject the offer if Apple does give it; however, Apple won't and they have no obligation too. Business is business and in the world of technology you can have the latest and greatest today and an outdated computer in 2 hours literally.

So, no, it won't happen. I will update as I like the Faces feature and new iMovie effects.

6. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

What I don't get is why does everyone feel apple should give them stuff for nothing? Is it because the hype EVERYTHING they release up? So that its fresh in everyone's mind. Or is it that new stuff comes out every year?

As much as I hate craprosoft, I never felt slighted when a new Office version came out and I had to pay to upgrade or anything else that wasn't free to begin with. I also don't see the masses mad about it either. Is it because they don't hype stuff up or that they don't release new products (well, in their case, more software than anything else) every year???

7. Bupkus macrumors newbie

So I bought my MacBook on December 30th. So I have a choice, return it and annoy my Apple reseller to get the $9.95 upgrade, or pay the $79...or option three...Bittorrent.:D

I won't be paying $79

Apple should of made the $9.95 upgrade within the return window of new macs....

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I'm sure if you call them up, they can help. They tend to be pretty flexible.

9. goldfronts macrumors member

Worst case scenario if you're within your 14 day return limit - return it and buy a new one if iLife '09 is that important to you

10. Bupkus macrumors newbie

It really isn't...just the principle of the thing.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Great idea. I'll eat the restocking fee which is more than the software costs.

No they won't do that. I've tried it with iLife 08 and they pretty much told me to buzz off.

12. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

It is annoying. I think they should have given the deal at least to folks who bought in the past 2 weeks. I guess they're trying to use this to stimulate sales in bad economic times.

13. goldfronts macrumors member

Forgot all about that 10% restocking fee :mad:

14. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

I wasnt saying someone like me who bought in October should get it for free or the $9.95. I was talking about people who just bought prior to MacWorld or right after. Sorry for not being clearer in my original post.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not really sure why one would be entitled to the software for free. If people don't want to do even the slightest bit of research then why would the get a new product free just because of their bad shopping talents?:confused:

16. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

It's likely the average person buying there first Mac might know nothing about MacWorld where this announcement was made. Bad shopping talents has nothing to do with it.
    Look how many people probably join this forum AFTER buying there first Mac.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats the thing, im not talking about this forum, anyone that is considering spending thousands of dollars can at least be arsed to do a simple google search.

Thats directly related to bad shopping practices.

18. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

A week before MacWorld what would searching get someone?? Honestly? Speculation and rumors! Nothing more.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

EXACTLY. A smart shopper hearing a rumor about an event at a certain time, unless they direly need the device, can wait a few weeks even if its just to SEE if there is something new.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Anyone who bought a machine after the sixth is eligible for a free (maybe it was ten bucks) iLife '09.

21. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

True. But all I'm saying is someone who just bought a few days before or after should be entitled to some sort of discount. When I made the original post I wasnt aware of the $9.95 deal. I think that is 100% fair!

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is it really $9.95?:confused: That IS a sweet deal:p

Anyway, i hope you didnt think I was trying to be mean or anything to you in this thread, as I have a tendancy to not write in the most delicate of ways.

Anyway, enjoy your macbook and ilife! *jealous*

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why would you buy a machine if you're going to be begging for free upgrades? Don't buy a machine unless you're going to be happy with your purchase.

24. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

No offense taken. I am the same way.
    I bought my MacBook in October so I'm obviously not eligible for the $9.95 upgrade. Anyways there is nothing in iLife 09 that was too appealing to me.

I originally made this thread for 'conversation' and to see peoples opinions. I never tried to make it out to me saying i deserve iLife 09 for free.

25. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Never saw anyone here 'begging for free upgrades' but anyways I bought my machine at launch in October and I am more than happy with it.