Aluminum MacBook Points UPDATED

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Auzburner, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

The New MacBook's really don't look like they are for everyone. It's not necessary for you to have the Aluminum bodies, and a GPU. The $999 model is great for most and it has the SuperDrive! *No More Combo-Drives! These are great new machines, but the price is not right for most. Many are asking if the 2.0 GHz is a substantial difference from the 2.4, and it's not going to be that obvious of a difference. As you can see in my information that I'm running a 1 1/2 year old White 2.0 GHz Machine. I have absolutely no trouble doing ANYTHING, but a graphic intensive operation.

The GPU appears to be a substantial upgrade from the plastic models. Offering 5 times greater performance. The specs of the game advertised running is as follows:
    Need For Speed: Carbon
    System Requirements:
    Mac OS X version 10.4.9
    1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor or higher
    1GB of RAM
    ATI X1600, NVIDIA GeForce 7300, or higher video card (Intel GMA950 chipset not supported)
    6GB hard disk space
    DVD-ROM drive

So it is capable of more than the specs above.
    But it depends on how far into gaming you go. You may need to think this over a bit, because the MacBook may not have just enough power for some things you may do. Waiting might also help, in that we need to see some real world experience before Apple's "5X more graphics power than previous generation" can be taken seriously.

It's also tricky to determine the reliability of the new MacBook. Simply based on the materials used, we should see a lower failure rate based on my common sense alone. Beyond that, I could not tell you. Apple Care decisions are iffy, but is probably a good idea. This is something that most people don't know. You can wait up to one year from the date of purchase to buy AppleCare. You'll get the same 3-year plan as if you bought it when you first purchased your device.Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/06/to-buy-applecare-or-not/

Backlit keyboard information is different on the configuration page, but not on the Tech Spec's Page:

I would trust someone saying it lacks something over it having an additional feature. One would not mess up taking away a feature whereas not making the difference between two models would be a more expected mistake- or at least your would think...

This is a sweet machine, but for the price it's going to be interesting to see if the Mac consumers will accept the new models.
    Also, 128GB Solid State Drive [Add $600.00]. Not bad... It's too bad there's no backlit keyboard in the 2.0GHz model...
    Simply a General Discussion Thread.
    The decision is obviously yours to make, this is just to help.

Attached Files:

2. kovy17 macrumors member

My only complaint is that the 1299 does not have a backlit keyboard I REALLY wanted that. I placed my order and it said backlit keyboard on my order but i guess thats just a mistake. Being 16 years old i would rather save the 300 bucks for later on. Plus i already have a 250 gb external HD. How many problems do you think these rev A products will have. And how long do i have to buy apple care?

3. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

When I look at the specs on the Configure Your MacBook page on the Apple sight it lists the 1299 model with backlit keyboard as the default.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The 2.0GHz model does not have a backlit keyboard. If it says that it does on a page then it is an error.

5. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It's also tricky to determine the reliability of the new MacBook. Simply based on the materials used, we should see a lower failure rate based on my common sense alone. Beyond that, I could not tell you. Apple Care decisions are iffy, but is probably a good idea. This is something that most people don't know. You can wait up to one year from the date of purchase to buy AppleCare. You'll get the same 3-year plan as if you bought it when you first purchased your device.Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/06/to-buy-applecare-or-not/

6. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It does say different on the configuration page, but not on the Tech Spec's Page:

I would trust someone saying it lacks something over it having an additional feature. One would not mess up taking away a feature whereas not making the difference between two models would be a more expected mistake- or at least your would think...

Attached Files:

7. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Yeah - they have to get this fixed. I see in a couple places where it mentions it for the higher model only. The configuration page must be wrong.

8. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Who feels they will be buying one within the next two weeks?

9. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I'd really like to see the difference in cooling compared to the plastic MacBooks. Heat is generally a big issue in these plastic tubs.

10. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, that's interesting. I wonder what the aluminum does for the heating...
    Here's a pic of the single fan in the new aluminum MacBook.

Attached Files:

11. new2macx macrumors member

I do! Just don't know which one...:confused:

12. PinkHappy macrumors newbie

I will, as soon as I decide between a Blackbook or the new Macbook. I hate making decisions!

13. Auzburner thread starter macrumors 65816

Auzburner

What is something you really wish Apple had done differently to this New MacBook making more appealing and in turn an easier decision?

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I ordered one and I even chatted with a rep in reference to the keyboard. She assured me the 2.0 comes with a backlit keyboard and the webmeisters were fixing the wrong pages.

I have it in writing ( order) and the chat..

Here's what I think is going to happen if indeed the 2.0 doesn't come with the backlit keyboard.

The folks that ordered the 2.0 thinking they were getting the backlit keyboard will receive the 2.4 Macbook and Apple will fix the config page ASAP so they don't have to lose more money.

15. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I highly doubt they'd give you a 2.4 machine just because there was a screw up on the description for the 2.0 GHZ.

16. hungryghost macrumors newbie

$1299 has backlist keyboard [EDITED]

I just got off the phone with Apple sales and ordered a new $1299 MacBook 2GHz model (actually was $1249 for me with education discount). I asked about the backlit keyboard discrepancy and the rep confirmed for the that the $1299 MacBook does have a backlit keyboard. He stated that the website and the material that's been published was misleading. It was the older white MacBook that does not have a backlit keyboard, but the new aluminum MacBooks do. I had him confirm this several times for me. Hope that clears up some of this confusion!

-- edit 10/15 --

This information is wrong. The website has been updated to show that the 2.0Ghz MacBook ($1299) does NOT have an illuminated (backlit) keyboard.

17. Suasexed macrumors member

Aye! Bonus! I wasn't expecting a back-lit keyboard so if they do indeed end up having one I'll be very pleased. If not, then it's no big disaster for me. ;)

18. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I watched the keynote and when Jobs was comparing the $1299 and $1599 model, the slide with the $1599 pointed out that the three different things were... faster processor, bigger hard drive and backlit keyboard.

19. brettinlj macrumors member

Lol, the question is who to trust. Steve Jobs' keynote presentation or a phone rep making minimum wage reading stuff off the website.

20. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

if it does not come with the backlit keyboard call and complain you might get something free.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope not. This isn't as confusing as everyone thinks.

Looks like you talked to a representative who was confused. The specs page on Apple's MacBook page, AND the Stevenote itself, was very explicit.

22. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

The Store STILL says it has a Backlit Keyboard in the configuration page, come on if they don't come with one then APPLE better give us who ordered an upgrade or some compensation for being misleading

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, they just need to refund their money.

It's a mistake, not misleading. I'm sure it's pretty easy for Apple to prove, considering how it is very clearly stated on other parts of their website.

24. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

25. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

They will offer you to return it for your money back or keep it. Then if you want the other one with the backlit keys, you will be able to order it.