aluminum macbook pro keys cheap material??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by balinmar, Jan 16, 2009.

1. balinmar macrumors newbie

i´ve only had my unibody macbook pro for about a month and my keys are really starting to get shiny...has anyone else started to notice this?? it´s starting to get very anoying since i dont like to use covers or anything. im not very special about these kinds of things but if it looks like this with only one month´s use...i can imagine how it will look in 6 months...and then 12.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's black and when black gets oily, it very noticeable; just wipe you computer keyboard once in a while.

3. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

it´s not that...i clean it every other day. trust me...i keep it clean. its not oil at all..it´s starting to wear off, smoothen if you will.

4. kousuke18 macrumors regular

the plastic keys are starting to wear off because of the oil from your fingers. Pretty much all plastic keyboards suffer this but it is more noticeable on your laptop because the keys are black. If I view the keys on my classic mbp at a certain angle, I can also see that keys that are used a lot have that "shiny" look you are talking about.

5. lscangus macrumors 6502

exactly, i used to have my unibody Macbook pro for 2 weeks, it starts to get shiny keys on it.. :(

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Friction causes this as well. Just like the old plastic trackpads would get shiny and worn. This is why I'm excited for glass trackpads :D

7. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

the original macbook pro´s keys lasted longer in this area

8. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah the new trackpad is great....the keys should be made out of the same material for that matter...so it wont wear off as quick..ive only had mine for 3 weeks :s

9. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

yeeess....i do know this..i think everyone does...but where im trying to get at is that these new unibody laptops are more prone to this effect. I´ve had other black keyed laptops and they didnt seam to get like this as quick thats all.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

No they didn't. It's just less noticeable on silver keys as opposed to the black ones.

On the white MacBook, you would probably never notice it unless you look at it from an angle.

11. lscangus macrumors 6502

I have got a powerbook, it is still fine now.

I reli hate the keys getting reli shiny and polished by my thunbs...

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

external keyboard anyone?

keyboard protectors...??

there are other options, you dont have to suffer alone :p

13. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

but they disrupt the uniform MBP appearance :p
    you know…just silver and black

14. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

çççyuuup..that is the problem with the covers...and its a laptop..i dont want to carry a keyboard around.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

16. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

This is the ONE complaint I have about the new designs.

17. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Would someone please eat potato chips while typing on both silver and black type keyboards, then post side-by-side comparison photos? I seriously doubt black keys absorb grease better. Hiding dirt better is not my personal goal, having a clean keyboard is.

18. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

They show them a LOT better, thats for sure.

19. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I never noticed a difference. While wiping down the screen I've always given the keyboard a once over with the microfiber cloth on both my last gen MBP (now sold) and the Unibody. I have also seen discoloration and dirt on the edges of other people's last gen MBPs and even grosser... hair stuck between keys. The new keyboard looks easier to keep clean & hair-free IMO.

20. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I wonder if this kind of solution might decrease ventilation possibly trapping in more heat. I know the vents are in the back and fans suck it out, but the fans probably suck some cool air in via the keyboard area.

21. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Ya, that is what I was thinking.

22. Ploki macrumors 68000

what kind of MBP keyboard layout is that??
    the shift is so much wider than on mine

23. GMACUK macrumors newbie

My girlfriend has exactly the same problem with her unibody macbook pro. She's had it for around 3 weeks and the 'scrabble' keys are noticibily shiny. The Moshi ClearGuard looks like something she would be interested in and do any of you know if

a) its avaiable with a UK keyboard layout
    b) recommend either a UK outlet (based in London)

Apart from this she absolutely loves it. Moving up from the 12" powerbook G4 (which she loved) has been pretty seamless and she has been won over by the glossy screen.

24. BennyJet macrumors newbie

Cancom stock Moshi in the UK. They're gradually rolling out the entire range on their website (www.cancomuk.com/Search?for=moshi). I went to their Kensington store the other day looking for a Moshi case for my MacBook Pro and they said they're receiving stock of everything over the next few weeks :) They're :apple: Authorised too, which is always a good thing!