Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I just saw this pop up in my Software Update, it didn't have much of a description something like "Allows the battery to use it's full capacity" or similar. I've installed it and restarted without any visible problems although it did take a while to reboot.

It isn't listed on http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ yet though.

stoid

macrumors 601
Fascinating.

I thought I read awhile back that the 15 inch PowerBook batteries could hold a 4600 mah charge, but Apple had firmware limited to filling to 4400 mah for some reason, perhaps this lifts that restriction?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
On further investigation it seems to have installed a new utility "PowerBook G4 Battery Updater" that has the following blurb upon launch:

The PowerBook G4 Battery Updater improves the performance of batteries that may develop short run times. The update process will take about 15 minutes and must not be interrupted.

To upgrade the firmware on your battery, read through the instructions below. When you're ready, click Update.

The PowerBook G4 Battery Updater is installed in Applications/Utilities.

During the update process your PowerBook G4 needs to be running, the power adapter must be plugged into a working power source and the battery should not be removed. Your battery will appear to have no charge and will not power your computer until the update process has been completed.

If the update is interrupted retry the update process again until successful. If you have more than one battery to update be sure to complete the update process before starting to update another battery.

1. Click Update to start the update process. The status bar shows the progress of the update.

2. Wait until the update is complete. When complete a dialog will show that your battery was successfully updated.

3. Remove your battery, then put your battery back into your PowerBook G4 for it to be recognized.

4. Repeat the calibration process for your battery, to get the longest running time possible.

For more information, go to http://www.apple.com/kbnum/n303035

That link 404's though so no further information is available at the moment.

Now do I run it or do I not? :D

EDIT: I went ahead and hit Update but apparently the reason it took a while to reboot after the Software Update was that it was running the Firmware update for the Battery, now to dig around in the .app to see if there are any more hints to what exactly it does...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Same deal here...took a while to reboot after the update (and also turned my screen brightness way down). Running the battery updater just gives a message that my battery doesn't need to be updated.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Aluminum PowerBook (15-inch) Battery Update 1.0

Now in Software Update for affected PowerBooks:
This update aids the 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook battery in performing at full capacity.
It installs a PowerBook G4 Battery Updater utility, used to update battery firmware to "improve the performance of batteries that may develop short run times."

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
mine doesn't need an update yet either but the battery has been acting pretty strange for me ..

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Same deal here...took a while to reboot after the update (and also turned my screen brightness way down). Running the battery updater just gives a message that my battery doesn't need to be updated.
I ran the update and rebooted while on battery power and it (obviously) didn't do anything.

Plugged the AC back in and immediately was notified to run the update in the Utilities folder.

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
Hey is this update working on any April 2004 PowerBooks? Mine installed the update but keeps telling me that my battery does not need it when I run the updater app. Thanks!

buttercup

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver
I installed it...

So far so good. It appears to think it has more life but it hard to tell. I am waiting for it to die so I can calibrate it now.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
D3LM3L said:
Hey is this update working on any April 2004 PowerBooks? Mine installed the update but keeps telling me that my battery does not need it when I run the updater app. Thanks!

Did you restart after the Software Update? If so then it is already installed. :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
4. Repeat the calibration process for your battery, to get the longest running time possible.
Does this mean unplugging and draining the battery.... :confused:

When i ran it, this comes up... :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 448

vasaz

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2004
MN
How long is a "while" for the restart? Mine has been stuck at the blue screen for ~10 min...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
vasaz said:
How long is a "while" for the restart? Mine has been stuck at the blue screen for ~10 min...
min took longer but def. not 10 mins...maybe a min longer then what i'm used to.. weird...maybe it froze... :confused:

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
jaseone said:
Did you restart after the Software Update? If so then it is already installed. :)

Yes, I did... I thought it had to flash the firmware afterwards though (like Bluetooth updates).

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
arturo said:
I also got this, update not needed, mine is a 1.5Ghz PowerPC G4

Actually my friend told me it's unnecessary. His battery was at 64% before the update, and was at 82% after he restarted. Clearly Apple simply installed the update, and the updater app at the same time. Everything is updated after you restart!

dornball

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2003
Denver, CO.
D3LM3L said:
Actually my friend told me it's unnecessary. His battery was at 64% before the update, and was at 82% after he restarted. Clearly Apple simply installed the update, and the updater app at the same time. Everything is updated after you restart!

how do you figure out the percentage you battery is currently, of the original 100%. mine seems like 50% of what it used to be (2 years ago), but i would love to know the actual %, if there is some sort of test.

btw, i ran the updater, and it said it didn't need to be updated. i guess it couldn't already ran itself, like others here are talking about, btu my battery doesn't seem to be lasting any longer than it did before.:(

-dornball

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
dornball said:
how do you figure out the percentage you battery is currently, of the original 100%. mine seems like 50% of what it used to be (2 years ago), but i would love to know the actual %, if there is some sort of test.

btw, i ran the updater, and it said it didn't need to be updated. i guess it couldn't already ran itself, like others here are talking about, btu my battery doesn't seem to be lasting any longer than it did before.:(

-dornball

Try coconutBattery. It's pretty snazztastic.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
mrwilly123 said:
Try coconutBattery. It's pretty snazztastic.

i was just going to suggest that!

my batteries aren't doing so good- one's 50% through it's life, the other is 43%

:eek: :(

really need a new powerbook. don't just want batteries, want new machine! *fingers crossed for tomorrow*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.