Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
I'm just gonna go ahead and say this but simultaneously launching 2 versions of iPhones (5 & 4S) doesn't seem to make much sense.

Apple can just as well lower the price point of their current 4, like what they did with the 3GS and launch a single version of their new iPhone. Am I the only one who's confused as to the point of a 4S if a 5 is due?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If this is true, I suspect the iPhone 4 resale value would remain the same or even go up. I can't picture an aluminum iPhone being as elegant as the 4.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I'm just gonna go ahead and say this but simultaneously launching 2 versions of iPhones (5 & 4S) doesn't seem to make much sense.

Apple can just as well lower the price point of their current 4, like what they did with the 3GS and launch a single version of their new iPhone. Am I the only one who's confused as to the point of a 4S if a 5 is due?

You don't seem to realize that countries outside the states don't always subsidize cell phone prices. For example, in China, if you want an iPhone 4, you have to shell out ~$800 dollars, which people are doing happily, but still that's a lot of money.

When the iPhone 5 comes out, it doesn't mean the price of the iPhone 4 will magically become cheaper to produce. If they release a cheaper iPhone 4s that only cost < $200 to produce, the price of an unsubsidized iP4s will only be $350. Much more manageable.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Analyst = reads rumour sites, takes information and writes it in his/her own words. I need to get a job doing that.

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
There shouldn't be any debate anymore. There were rumors of two iPhones a long time ago by major news sources, and the reports of two iPhones by major news sources have persisted this whole time.

The iPhone 5 internals have been going around in iPhone 4 cases to companies who need them. The iPhone's design is the most immediate and coveted 'feature' before it is released. They are protecting the design with the utmost security because of this.

The iPhone 5 is all but confirmed to have:

4'' to 4.2'' screen
design that fits the 3rd party cases
A5
1 GB RAM
8 MP camera
Assistant

Small upgrades to the screen and an LED notification light can be expected.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Actually that is not exactly what they did with the 3GS it was originally available as 16 or 32G. They withdrew those and launched an 8G version.

They may well do something similar with the iphone 4 but might also reduce cost by using cheaper components.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

As others have said, the unsubsidized market is a big part of it. If they can design a new phone around a similar body to the iPhone 4, but chop a good chunk off the raw materials cost, it makes sense to do so.

Also, making a single model with GSM/CDMA capability will simplify supply chain. Perhaps even one color, which would bring them down to a single SKU for the low-end phone.

All speculation on my part of course.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
As others have said, the unsubsidized market is a big part of it. If they can design a new phone around a similar body to the iPhone 4, but chop a good chunk off the raw materials cost, it makes sense to do so.

Also, making a single model with GSM/CDMA capability will simplify supply chain. Perhaps even one color, which would bring them down to a single SKU for the low-end phone.

All speculation on my part of course.
I agree but I think they'd keep two colours if they did :D.

Muad'Dib

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
If they release a cheaper iPhone 4s that only cost < $200 to produce, the price of an unsubsidized iP4s will only be $350. Much more manageable.

iPhone 4 already cost <$200 to produce. It was around $182 when it first came out. I'm sure they've found some ways to cut it down even further since then.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I know, right? They probably think it's made out of the same glass as a window.

Perhaps a unibody iphone would be lighter because they need less aluminum to achieve the same sturdyness since it's a single piece rather than multiple pieces screwed together?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.