Always wanted a first generation iPhone and here's my story on finding one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Nov 14, 2010.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'm happy with my iPhone 4, no doubt, but have always wanted a first generation iPhone just to tinker and play around with. After hunting I located what I suspected was a pretty decent find on eBay.

I was surprised to bid and win one for under a hundred dollars and was even more surprised when the iPhone quickly arrived, safe and sound.

It was the 4GB model and was in what I'd call excellent condition. No issued and with only slight wear and on the back, with flawless glass on the front. It must have been housed in a case of some type.

I was also pleased to have it arrive boxed in its original Apple case with even the headphones- (unused) along with the owners manual. That was an added bonus as the auction description didn't state any of these extras was included and I'd guess it would have closed a bit higher had the seller done so.

Ok, so now I plug it in and see it is half charged and when I turn it on see it is loaded with songs and some applications like Peggle and Bookworm.

It also showed the original phone number and had some contacts within. In other words, the seller didn't erase her contacts or settings. Kind of odd. Although the sim card was still in the iPhone it offered, "no service" (yet the wifi works perfectly).

I called the seller using the contact information provided with Paypal/eBay just to let her know I'd be erasing all the content and restoring the iPhone to its original settings, losing all the data so she wouldn't be concerned. I was also going to let her know I was pleased with the transaction and kind of thank her, I guess. I never got the chance.

Instead, when she answered the phone and quickly released who I was, turned dismissive and rude.

I was barely able to let her know the state of the iPhone when she cut me off mid-sentence and told me she hadn't used the it in weeks and didn't care what I did with it.

So, perhaps there really isn't much of a point to this story other than there are certainly some interesting people out there.

And, yes. I followed through and restored the iPhone as a new phone, losing the games; music and whatever else was on the phone to begin with.

(I would like to have played Peggle though as it appears to be a fun game.)

2. barkingDog, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Interesting story.

I'm a sucker for the history of technology.

3. specify macrumors regular

I wouldn't have called her. I would've just left a good feedback and sent a private message over ebay.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd be a little perturbed by a call, too, but I would have listened and been polite... *shrug*

Maybe it was her (ex) husband's phone, and she's really mad so she sold it cheap and doesn't care? There's an old urban legend about a bitter divorcee and her ex husband's Porsche that goes something like that... lol.

5. APtalent macrumors regular

Mind posting some pics of that 4 GB iPhone?

Must be a sweet relic.

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

For a while now I have regretted selling my first iPhone. I had the first iPhone and also the first generation that came out later with more memory. I don't know who has my first but I am still in contact with who had my second. I think I'll give him a call.

7. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I remember selling my original iPhone 2g, unlocked, for $800 on eBay.

Ahh, those were the days. I canceled ATT and the iPhone when I got the EVO. Well, that sucked and I wanted to come back to ATT but needed unlimited data, which is of course is no longer available.

I since bought an 8gig 2g online and used it to get unlimited data on my iP4. Awesome! The 2g model should carry a hefty premium because when you activate it on a new line, it allows you to grandfather to an unlimited iPhone data plan.

Working great on my iP4 that was activated 5 weeks ago! Slingbox FTW! :D

8. guy86 macrumors newbie

She thought you were looking for an excuse to chat her up :p

9. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I had to do it again I wouldn't have called. The poster who suggested I simply leave positive feedback (done) and a quick email through the eBay messaging system is correct.

As much as I enjoy the iPhone4 there is a certain charm to this first generation that is cool and fun. It doesn't hold much! 4GB is used up pretty quickly.

10. WildGuess, Nov 14, 2010

WildGuess macrumors regular

Right now

Cowboom has one - 8 gig - page 9, phones. $146.
    2g

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

If you hold onto the phone for 30 more years, you might be able to auction it for as much as $200,000. :cool:

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Man this takes me back. I remember when I got the first generation. I still had a circa 2005 Windows laptop I had to sync with and I was so excited to get this phone. Two months later I bought my MacBook and iPads, iPhones, iPods etc later I am an Apple addict.

13. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Wait, when did you buy your first iPhone 2G?

14. Mabyboi, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010

Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

After seeing this thread i went and found my 16gb iphone 2G, that i managed to get her in canada at release. It's late and theres poor lighting, so excuse the bad pictures. Its a little scratched up over the years. but still works like a charm :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Isn't the 16GB first generation a rare beast? I thought they only made the 4GB and the 8GB and for a very short period of time, your 16GB before launching the 3G.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Fall 2007.

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Ok, never mind.

18. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

It is indeed! I'm jealous! I've got an 8 gig I play with from time to time. It's jailbroken and has iDroid installed on it currently.

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I may of worded it weird. I bought my MacBook (first Mac) Dec 2007 and in the next three years I have ended up buying iPods more iPhones and an iPad as well and am now an official Apple addict.

20. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I had to read the original sentence several times. Got it now. Thanks. :)

21. Vegastouch, Nov 14, 2010

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

My 16GB 2G is in prestine condition. No marks at all on the back and just some scratches on the bezel. Screen is in excellent to perfect condition. And i have the original box and everything it came with. Never used the stock earbuds, done like them ( i also have an iPod w/ the same ones) imcluding the charging dock.

Id take pics but dont have the camera w/ me @ the moment.

22. diesel macrumors 6502a

16 gig 2g iphone was not available on launch date if i remember. I had the
    2g within a couple weeks of launch date and it came in 4 and 8 gb. The 16gb came out several months later and was just a memory storage upgrade.

23. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

You are correct.

24. ItsJustafnPhone, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

you guys are some misinformed addicts

relic?

the phone is 3 years old , big freaking deal

I have socks older than that

there is no point in nostalgia if the phone is still being used by people at present time

now a newton apple pad would be a different story

25. diesel macrumors 6502a

Good point, my 2g iphone is still in use today............as a paper weight.