Am I an idiot for just having ordered this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nesta, Mar 24, 2010.

1. nesta macrumors newbie

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 065-8455
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    500 GB Serial ATA-harddisk (7200 rpm)

15 " MBP

-----

Will I literally start crying when/if an update comes, or should I be fine aslong as I'm not trying to cut Avatar II on my sparetime?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, only for posting about it. :D

Seriously, it's not a problem if it does what you need and you use it.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will be fine... awesome computer

There will always be something newer, bigger, faster, and shinier just around the corner, but your machine won't be rendered useless or obsolete just because that happens

Congrats and enjoy!

Now... make sure you put your restore discs in a safe place and make sure you have an adequate backup strategy ;)

4. nesta thread starter macrumors newbie

Why doesn't this forum have a I.H.Y.D.A smily....

Ah thank you ! Constructive and neat post! Why doesn't this forum have a I.W.I.W.G.S.I.C.H.O.N smily :(

5. RT2020 macrumors regular

I wouldn't purchase a MacBook Pro right now as a matter of principal, and because it really isn't the best value for my money (value for dollar being a subjective thing).

However, you'll still be getting a very powerful laptop that should meet your needs for years to come. Unless you will be constantly doing very processor-intensive work on your laptop (that utilizes multuple threads) , I doubt you would notice any real day-to-day difference between an i7 and your C2D.

I do very heavy CAD, graphics, 3D modelling and VMware on a 2.53 MacBook pro and I have no desire for a better processor. I tend to keep my laptops for about 4 years, only upgrading the RAM.

so...my verdict... inconclusive :D... depends on what you use it for.

6. nesta thread starter macrumors newbie

God I love this forum.

7. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

That's about the power of my iMac. You'll be fine for years. and years. and years. and years. and years. But that's it.

8. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

Yes.....but thats just my opinion

If you need it now then you arnt an idiot

if you are just impatient and cant wait for new models then yes ;)

9. phixiuz macrumors regular

Considering how much you paid for this and how much it would cost Apple to make these nowadays in labor and parts, I'd definitely call you an idiot. And then I haven't even taken the incoming updates in consideration...

I hope for you they bring out updates within 14 days of your purchase, but I highly doubt it will happen.

10. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I personally would have waited a teenie weenie bit longer. But congrats anyway...still a great notebook.

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Crazy? Heck no. That's an awesome machine. Enjoy it!

12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

How often do you update computers?

If you update every year, you'll be able to sell this one for a fair amount when the time comes to upgrade. So in this sense, you're not foolish, just impatient.

I personally would not buy a Macbook right now unless I absolutely needed it. The value is far too low at this point, and even the basic 13" macbook pros are overpriced for their performance level.

Everyone will say that it's still a great machine, and they are totally right. The problem is, despite being a great machine, it's still a terrible value compared to what is available now from other companies, and what will be available soon from Apple.

13. mesq macrumors member

I have seen people saying wait one more week since January...

14. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I know, I know...its quite annoying, but I assure you it will be very soon.;)

15. highscheme macrumors regular

You got horrible value for money but aside from that it was a fine purchase.

16. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Im with you. Buying a Macbook today is not in anyones best interests in my opinion, regardless of your task. If anything, your proving to Apple that they can sell outdated hardware at essentially whatever price they want.

It's not just about being a "spec" whore either. It's about getting the best bang for your buck, resale value, and attempting to keep Apple honest about their business practices. I'm not saying they need to keep up with the rest of the PC world, but they should not be selling old tech at the price they're commanding. (eg.. Toyota slapping a 2010 sticker on a 2009 Prius and calling it good, even though the 2010 gets better gas mileage and will be worth more as you drive it off of the lotL) Just because you can get away with something, doesn't make it right in my book.

17. WHM macrumors regular

Not One Bit

As I sit here using my "new" unibody 2.66 500 HD 4GB ram I am as happy as can be. My 14 days were up yesterday and all is well at my house. Updates may come out next week or June or October... I don't care. This laptop is doing everything I need and I will update within a year and have lost no sleep over waiting...waiting...waiting... waiting....

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Not really. In this case, Apple hasn't released an Updated MBP line with the *exact* same specs this year, so people know they are buying the same thing as what was available in 2009.

19. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The average buyer doesn't follow Apple's releases, therefore they don't know that they're buying outdated hardware unless they take the time to compare.

20. WHM macrumors regular

I have a new iMac desktop... the 3GS iphone and know Apple products very well... our office is also all Macs.... compare to what? the cheap Dell or Hp..Sony... they are not even close to the "YEAR OLD APPLES" There is nothing to compare to Apple computers

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think you're an idiot. Just remember that if the Macbook Pros are updated within 14 days of your purchase you can exchange it for a new one.

22. bananaboi macrumors member

Quite expensive, but your processor is faster than any current mobile Core i5 processor available right now.

23. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Opinions are not facts, keep that in mind.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

In terms of clock speed, which is not important when comparing different chips.

25. bananaboi macrumors member