Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Titleist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
So I recently sold my 2014 6 Core MP for a 2016 iMac 5k. I also have a 2015 15" Macbook Pro. I use both of these machines daily for photography and some video. Mainly larger RAW files...1000's of images. I'm wanting to simplify my workflow down to one machine. I feel like I spend my time on both, and really wish I had all my work on one. I'm thinking about switching everything over to a new 2016 15" Macbook Pro (maxed out), with two of the LG 5K Monitors with USBC...and that being my main computer. I guess my question is...is this wise? Haha! Would the MBP be enough for everyday? Is an iMac really that much faster than the MBP? Am I an idiot?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
So I recently sold my 2014 6 Core MP for a 2016 iMac 5k. I also have a 2015 15" Macbook Pro. I use both of these machines daily for photography and some video. Mainly larger RAW files...1000's of images. I'm wanting to simplify my workflow down to one machine. I feel like I spend my time on both, and really wish I had all my work on one. I'm thinking about switching everything over to a new 2016 15" Macbook Pro (maxed out), with two of the LG 5K Monitors with USBC...and that being my main computer. I guess my question is...is this wise? Haha! Would the MBP be enough for everyday? Is an iMac really that much faster than the MBP? Am I an idiot?
Are you doing photos only and no 4K video?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yes, keep what`s tried & proven, wait on Apple resolving the kinks with it`s Gen 1 MBP, in a couple of years the new MBP will make for far better value. Think of it logically your going to bet your business on new & unproven hardware, just a brief scan of the forum shows that there`s some underlying issues Apple need to resolve...

Q-6

Titleist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
First question would be.. why did you sold your very capable MP?
I wanted a 4K or 5K monitor, was using a Cinema Display (waited for one from Apple the last few years), and MP wasn't (and still isn't) getting any attention from Apple so it just seemed to be getting dated, so sold it to a friend, and bought a 5K iMac, it seems to actually run smoother in Photoshop and Lightroom. Also have seen faster export times within FCP. Photoshop and LR are programs I use for my full time job, so if I can save a little bit of time with another machine, I'm in.
[doublepost=1481178893][/doublepost]
Are you doing photos only and no 4K video?
Photos mostly. Some 4k footage as well.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
No reason to sell anything. You just want the latest kit.

Which actually is a good reason. Not everyone has the same criteria to decide whether to buy something or not.

That said, of course a MacBook Pro has less performance than a Mac Pro. The difference to the iMac shouldn't be that noticeable in my opinion.

But to know if the MacBook Pro is good enough, we really should now what kind of things you're doing. If it's only photos, it would work. If your main workflow is editing 4K videos, maybe think about it again: it still would work but you would notice the performance decrease.

Titleist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Yes, keep what`s tried & proven, wait on Apple resolving the kinks with it`s Gen 1 MBP, in a couple of years the new MBP will make for far better value. Think of it logically your going to bet your business on new & unproven hardware, just a brief scan of the forum shows that there`s some underlying issues Apple need to resolve...

Q-6
True. This is why I ask you guys! Haha! Clearly...I'm an idiot.
[doublepost=1481178973][/doublepost]
No reason to sell anything. You just want the latest kit.
This also sounds true! haha!

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

Q-6

I wouldn't consider the "gen 1 MBP kinks" a reason not to buy one. Current figures seem to say that about 8% of all new laptops (including MacBooks) are defective, and that's normal. In this forum you will only find disgruntled people - but the other 82% are likely to be happy with their MBP.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
True. This is why I ask you guys! Haha! Clearly...I'm an idiot

I did the same as I rely on my hardware for a living, albeit a very different one to yours. Recently picked up a Surface Book, equally I let Microsoft work out the kinks for a year. Too risky to put all your eggs in one basket, especially with new tech, irrespective of who produces it. I alway run primary & secondary systems as the downtime can easily exceed the cost of the hardware.

Go for it if your going keep the iMac, as a sole solution, no chance...

Q-6

Titleist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I wouldn't consider the "gen 1 MBP kinks" a reason not to buy one. Current figures seem to say that about 8% of all new laptops (including MacBooks) are defective, and that's normal. In this forum you will only find disgruntled people - but the other 82% are likely to be happy with their MBP.
I did the same as I rely on my hardware for a living, albeit a very different one to yours. Recently picked up a Surface Book, equally I let Microsoft work out the kinks for a year. Too risky to put all your eggs in one basket, especially with new tech, irrespective of who produces it. I alway run primary & secondary systems as the downtime can easily exceed the cost of the hardware.

Go for it if your going keep the iMac, as a sole solution, no chance...

Q-6
This is kinda what I'm thinking. I'll be the first to admit, the latest and greatest always seems to catch my eye, but when it comes down to business, I'm a little hesitant. Appreciate the input! :)

linguist

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
I think you need to try if 16GB + current SSD speed would be enough handling large files with many layers.
I suspect RAM ceiling would be the usability limit.

I seen scenario where files get so big in 8GB system, aligning picture gets really slow with swapping to HDD and practically unusable, where in 16 GB is still usable. So depends on your workload.

iMac CPU is faster by 15-20%.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I'm just like you, or kind of.

I bought my iMac 5k, not for it's monster performance, but simply for it's 5k display.
and sometimes I need to work outside, then I bring my old MacBook Pro (2nd gen retina I think).
it worked ok, but syncing file, installing apps and keep tracking of everything on two computers, its just impossible.
I always find myself out there on my MacBook, and installing apps, or adjusting settings. which I've done already on my iMac.

so having a MacBook + 5k display feels like the perfect solution for me.
plus, it's easier for future upgrades. with iMac, I need to 'upgrade' my screen with the machine itself, which costs at least 2k+.
but with MacBook Pro setup, I don't have to do anything to the display, which would most likely hold up much, much longer than the computer. (come on, there really isn't much to upgrade on a display, once you reach 27inch 5k. but for computers, there will be new features, better performance every year)

Queen6

macrumors G4
This is kinda what I'm thinking. I'll be the first to admit, the latest and greatest always seems to catch my eye, but when it comes down to business, I'm a little hesitant. Appreciate the input! :)

Exactly keep what you have, as right now you have a level of redundancy and there are pliantly of solutions for synchronising files across multiple computers.

Q-6
[doublepost=1481188428][/doublepost]

Absolutely agree; Apple rarely gets things right out the gate, with the 2nd, 3rd Gen always offering much better value. I tend to agree the vast majority will be happy, however I also suspect the vast majority wont really push their new MBP`s or rely on them for a living. Nor does this strictly apply to Apple, my own Surface Book is absolutely stable, equally on release they clearly had multiple issues with drivers. As ever time & patience solves all :)

As another member stated if you rely on your hardware for a living having two capable systems is an absolute...

Q-6

Last edited:

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
iMac/MBP is a great combo...chuck an iPad pro w/pencil into the mix and your all set :)

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia

8% + 82% = 90%.

What happened to the missing 10%?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I can't understand why someone would want to do serious photo editing on a MacBook screen (retina or not) when a 27" 5k display is readily available...

But that's just me.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
If you have the funds go for it. I have this with the LG 4k. It IS simplification, and that's the whole point really. Having all ports USB-C (even charging!) is something. If that's not simplification, I don't know what is. Having the single cable connection (I use this also with the 12") is great.

Bottom line though, is $$$$

BTW, these LG monitors look as good, if not better (I think this) than what Apple 'would' have made. Really slick (But get space grey for the match).

Last edited:

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
If you have the funds go for it. I have this with the LG 4k. It IS simplification, and that's the whole point really. Having all ports USB-C (even charging!) is something. If that's not simplification, I don't know what is. Having the single cable connection (I use this also with the 12") is great.

Bottom line though, is $$$$

BTW, these LG monitors look as good, if not better (I think this) than what Apple 'would' have made. Really slick (But get space grey for the match).
This is bad advice imo. The new MacBook Pro does not offer the performance of the 5k iMac and "simplification" isn't really a convincing argument in that regard then, not for that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.