Am I at the replacement stage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Aug 7, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Late '08 2.8 CTO uMBP (with AppleCare).

About six months ago, the 9600M took a dump, so that was a new logic board.

A month or two later, the clutch cover (black plastic covering the hinge) developed hairline cracks. New clutch cover.

A month ago, the magsafe was coming apart, so I got a new one shipped to me.

Ever since the logic board was replaced, the ports have been pretty tight to plug/unplug peripherals into. I've also had a very touchy miniDP connection, so I brought it in last week to have that looked at. They decided it needed logic board #2.

Got the machine back yesterday, and inspected it closely, but somehow missed a big problem that I saw only when I got home--the display was separating from the hinge by a good bit (it wasn't like that when I dropped it off). I went back, and they were cool about it, but the repair for that is an entire new display/hinge/clamshell setup (I've always dreaded a display replacement because I had such a NICE display with true whites and no backlight bleeding), so it's in for that right now.

So in short:

--Two logic boards
    --Clutch cover
    --Display/hinge
    --Magsafe (I know this doesn't really count)

I'm not too worried about it, and they've been great at helping me out with the machine and servicing it no questions asked, but I'm curious how much more I should tolerate before I ask what else they are willing to do. I realize it's generally three of the same major repair before replacement, but with two logic boards and now a display with a couple other smaller repairs, what's really the difference between 3 boards or 2 boards and a display?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Which is it? You're not worried or you want something new?
    Here's the deal, I believe you're in AU which means that things like the Lemon Law may not apply. I think this is where you're going to need to do some searching. However, I would be asking for a replacement right after logic board #2. I don't think the replacement of one was needed due to tight ports but if that was the only way they could resolve then a new MLB is a new MLB.

How much more you should tolerate is directly correlated to how much more you want to tolerate.

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

To be honest that second logic board replacement doesn't sound completely necessary, so I think you'd be unlikely to receive a replacement at this stage. Usually it's not to do with the same component being replaced, but if it is replaced for the same reason. If you had 3 graphics card failures, for example.

If you are a valuable customer (have more than perhaps a dozen Apple products registered to your account), it's likely they'll replace. Otherwise, probably not.

4. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

When I brought the machine back Friday afternoon right after I picked it up and saw that the display was separating, they said they'd send it out and I'd get it back in 3-5 days, and that on top of that they'd put a priority on it.

Assuming Sunday doesn't count, today makes 5 days (or 6 if Sunday does count) and still no word. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd hear before now given the priority status, wonder if something's gone wrong.

Should I call them? Normally I wouldn't, but I'm having my wisdom teeth out tomorrow morning and then I'm out of commission for a couple days and likely won't be able to go in and get it, so it would be nice to get it today.

PS, I'm in America with a machine purchased from Apple America FWIW

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Neither saturday OR Sunday count.

I had:
    4 displays
    1 keyboard
    2 trackpads
    A top case
    A hard drive
    New Speakers

Even a senior technician said I've had everything except for a logic board replaced yet I was still having problems.

Took 9 months of solid problems and repairs for them to replace it.

Don't hope for anything, your newest logic board wasn't even required, tight ports are a good thing so stuff doesn't fall out.

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Trust me they were problematic; it took a severe amount of effort to plug/unplug things (anodization was wearing off the lower case in the displayport port), and the displayport connection was garbage. A new logic board did fix that issue and I couldn't believe how smooth plugging stuff into the ports now is. Either way, I didn't make the call on the new logic board, the genius did and then it was verified by the repair depot that that would be the proper solution. *shrug*

At any rate, they called me back and said it's ready about three minutes ago.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If theres anything wrong this one then inquire about a replacement. Doesn't do any harm to ask.

8. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah that's the plan, gonna go get it now, and then scrutinize the display pretty hardcore for backlight bleed and whites.

Back in a bit...

Thanks

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Check it IN THE STORE. With the genius watching.

10. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah I didn't even bring the machine home.

The display and hinge looks good from what I can tell, though I can't really check for backlight bleed/dead pixels/whatever til I bring the machine home and carefully look at it with the aid of a dark room, but that didn't even matter--on the bottom case was a nearly 2" long scratch (albeit not terribly deep), another small deeper scratch, and a couple other blemishes from the repair depot.

I asked if that could be taken care of, they were willing to send it back to the repair depot (does nobody carry parts for a late-'08 machine in stock?? Maybe it's just me but it seems most stores would have ample supplies for those machines on hand since they are old enough to need to be fixed a lot but not super old but I digress). The genius didn't seem too thrilled with my wanting to send it back in again, as he asked if I was sure I wanted to send it back down and I said yep.

When I got the machine back the first time from the board replacement and the display was separating from the hinge, the genius I talked to was really apologetic and put a priority on the display repair; it was the same guy today, but he didn't seem too happy and didn't put any type of priority on it, just told me it would take 5-7 days to send it out to have the bottom plate replaced.

While true I could've just taken the machine, I just want the machine back in the same condition I brought it in and I don't think that's too unreasonable, especially as I've been very cool and understanding throughout the whole process. I use the machine for work, and I happen to be on vacation for a month so luckily I have the time to do this now.

However I'm starting to lose my patience. This is twice now that the depot repair center has damaged the machine, so I'm really hoping it comes back the third time OK. By the time I get this machine back in a week, I'll be just shy of three weeks without it. If I get it back then, and bring it home to find problems with the display or whatever else, I'll go to a different store and be like hey what's the deal, and ask what they can do for me on this. By the time I get it back I'll be a couple days shy of flying back abroad where I live, so I want the issues resolved before I go back, because it's a hell of a lot easier to deal with all of this in English in America than it is in a foreign language, especially when it becomes time to start escalating things from repairs to the amount of downtime and a possible replacement.

I'm wearing a bit thin on this, and having the same genius as last time who was all apologetic and willing to put a priority on it just kind of be visibly irritated this time around doesn't really help when it's me who's out a computer for X weeks because the repair depot can't get it right.

EDIT: I thought about just saying, "OK it's scratched, I'll deal with that later, but maybe for now I'll bring it home and make sure the display is ok and then if it's not I can bring the machine back and kill two birds with one stone," but then I thought if I didn't send the machine back right away then I'd probably be blamed for the cosmetic damage (I usually take a lot of pics of the machine before I bring it in for service but I forgot my camera overseas).

11. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Do they keep track like that? the more purchases or the higher $ amount reg'd yo your account, the more likely it is??

I wonder how true that is.

12. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I don't know if that's really true--it shouldn't be--but even if it is...well, I've got a top spec CTO MBP, a MBA, a 24" ACD, an iPhone 3G, 7-8 iPods, a Time Capsule, etc etc...

13. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

This entire thing sounds like a big PITA. Let us know the outcome of this repair.

14. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

One other additional reason for sending it back for the scratches is because I've just seen too many people post here where Apple denied repairs/voided warranties over minor cosmetic damage like inconsequential scratches. I figure I may as well protect myself for future repairs I'll surely have in the next 15 months before my AppleCare runs out. Sure would suck to be lax on Apple for scratching my machine only to have them not be so lax later when I need another repair.

15. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Good luck, My MBP had 4 screens and two logic boards replaced in the course of two months,
    and they still would not replace my MBP.

They insisted on fixing the issue by replacing the part multiple times.

16. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

To me that just sounds illogical; surely it must cost them more to continuously make $1,000 repairs than it would be to just give you a $2k machine and send yours in to become a refurb so they can recoup most of the money of the new machine they gave you after the first few expensive repairs?

17. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

well it sounds like apple has done a decent job fixing it for the most part.

and the machine does not cost apple 2k, maybe $300, and the cost of the parts is probably around the $50 range, so it costs them a few bucks in shipping and like 30 minutes labour, i am in manufacturing and i know damn well just because its worth $300 to you doesn't mean they did not pay $20 >_< crazy world we live in =D

i would hope to get a new machine after all of the time you have had to go without it >_< and i hope it works out well for you =D

18. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Finally got my machine back today after nearly three weeks. Everything looks good, extensive testing of the display for yellow tint and dead pixels revealed nothing I could see, whites look pretty white. Backlight bleeding is surprisingly non-existent; my other display was more than acceptable with just a hint of spotlighting at the bottom but this one is even better surprisingly, really really even backlighting.

So in the end for all my hassle I got a better display (but same ChiMei 9C85 panel thankfully as I was really happy with my other ChiMei), the gap between the display and lower case is much tighter than before, the clutch cover is put on a little better than when it was replaced the first time, the hinge is quiet and smooth, and as a bonus since the display was replaced that means my pin sized gouge from where I dropped my USB stick on my computer's lid a month ago is gone, and since the bottom case was replaced that means all the screen printed stuff which was wearing off is nice and new. So basically, I got the computer back in a wee bit better shape than I brought it in (which was nearly flawless, now it's completely flawless), so I'm pretty happy for all that hassle.

The invoice actually said they were going to charge me $76 for the bottom case, which I didn't notice until I was driving over there to pick it up so I was prepared to raise hell but they never said anything about it and sent me out the door without charging me, as they should've.

Also when they brought the machine out in that white soft envelope thing there was a note taped to it saying to leave it in the bag and let me take it out myself, and then the bottom case had the protective shipping film still on it for me to take off haha.

EDIT: I just noticed I now have momentum scrolling?!? I was sure Late '08 machines didn't get that??

19. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

wowo i cant believe you went through that much trouble. if i ever get one im getting it from bestbuy with the bestbuy warranty.

any problems and i get it replaced no questions asked.

20. Xenophon macrumors regular

Happy for you that it finally worked out ok. But I do have the impression that their component quality has gone to hell in a handbasket over the last couple of years. Hell, I have no problem paying a large premium for a quality product but then it really needs to 'just work' and not require a guy to trek to the store every couple of weeks.

21. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah I'm just lucky I had a month here to deal with this, and the foresight to bring it in the first week I was here just in case there were repeat problems...I fly back home Tuesday morning so it's just in time; there are Apple stores where I live, but going requires expensive and time consuming trips as opposed to here where I can just hop in the car and go.

Now that the computer is truly flawless, I REALLY hope it works just the way it is for the next few years without having to go back in for a single issue. I don't want to deal with anything until I buy a new laptop in the future, hopefully with USB 3.0 and true quad cores.

22. blunderboy macrumors 6502

I'm glad to hear that you've finally got it up to standards. It really sucks that you've had such an irritating experience with getting your computer fixed at the beginning, though. I'd be pretty irritated, too, and would've requested a replacement after all those repairs. :/

23. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Well, just what I didn't wamt to happen did--sitting in the airport waiting to fly home, the computer would act funny when the power button was pressed, and not turn on right/at all.

I got a 4 minute video of it acting up while trying to turn it on this morning so now I'm on a train to Apple without a reservation...not what I planned on doing today. I'm sure I'll be waiting several hours since there are no open slots today.

Gonna ask for a replacement today, as this appears to be board #3. Also I start a new job Monday and need a machine...don't want to look like an unprepared idiot on day 1.

Not happy.

24. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Patience.

You have too much patience. Burst into the Apple store and ask for a new machine.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only way to get guarantee a replacement is to have a senior support agent "promise" that you will get a replacement after a repair; basically the "if anything goes wrong, we'll replace it" kind of spiel; after that it's fair game whatever happens to your computer. ;)

For example: I had a case warp; the bottom case was replaced; the case warped again; I complained and complained that it was a big hassle; agent says we'll replace it if anything breaks again. Compromise and have the case replaced. RAM errors—replacement time!