Am I being anal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chrisrosemusic1, May 3, 2014.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Got my new Air the other day, it's a superb machine, but there's this one tooling knick on the back right of the machine. Am I just being anal and should accept it? Or would you exchange yours if you picked yours up and it had a similar defect?

Attached Files:

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If it was on the lid, or on the inside then I'd probably be annoyed. Not where that is tho.

3. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I'm very picky though and don't know if I can cope with knowing it's there :eek:

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Hi chrisrosemusic1,

I personally would not return it, but depending on how long ago you bought the computer, you can return it within the 2 week return period. Apple is typically very good about returns.

Enjoy your new computer!
    Matt

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Then it really doesn't matter what anyone else's opinion is then... ;)

6. abta1 macrumors 6502

If it's within the return period or even if it's not and you can prove that it was there when you bought it, then sure return it for another one.

7. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Yeah I only got it two nights ago. Today was my first proper day setting it up and checking it out. Then I noticed those marks..

Gonna see how I feel about it tomorrow :)

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I cant make anything out on that picture. All i can see is a finger and the corner of a mba.

9. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Take it back. If it bugs you enough to post online about it, you've got to take it back.

For what it's worth, I've returned Macs to the Apple Store because of smaller nicks than that. New computers aren't supposed to have any marks on them - heck even discounted refurb models are supposed to be physically pristine. Return it.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

:confused: what exactly do you see in this picture?
    What am I missing? Isnt this all blurry except for that finger or am i drunk already?

11. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

That gives me some more confidence then.

I'll take it back.

Cheers :)

----------

haha, on the corner you'll see 3 or 4 white marks - it's not that true to life in the pic but they are tooling/dinks/marks in the aluminium.

12. cactus jumper macrumors newbie

Personally I'd only return it if those marks were in a more noticeable place but if it bothers you, don't feel bad about taking it back (sooner rather than later or it gives Apple an excuse to suggest the marks may have occured since you've had it).

13. yosemit macrumors regular

I can understand the feeling. That said, my 2013 11" Air has about 4-5 marks like that. :D

For most MBA owners, they will eventually get those marks, soon or later. Usually soon.

I dropped my 11" Air a couple of times when I was on travel. And my child stepped on it once. I must say the MBA is a very sturdy machine, just like a piece of metal. :)

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

You're gonna get similar blemishes and nicks over time, BUT if it's really bugging you, just exchange it.

15. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Almost exactly on the corner I can quite clearly see what look like "nicks". They're unfortunately not quite in focus in the photo, but it's quite clear that there's not just the perfectly smooth aluminium which you would expect out of the box.

16. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

You paid the full price so it should come without any defect. I would return it.

17. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes, you are being anal, but feel free to exchange, as that is your privilege. Just be aware that you will never find a "perfect" Air, and will likely bang it a week after doing an exchange.

Ultimately, it would be best not to let incredibly tiny things like this bug you.

18. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Wow... the dent is way too small. They will give you a new one but... it makes you feel stupid. Deal with it. Is not the end of the world at all.

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Tough one...if everything else was perfect (at least to me),screen,noise ect I would probably keep it.Would hate to take it back and then get another one with a screen issue ect.

20. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

That's inexcusable! Better send it to me for proper disposal.

21. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

In my opinion, unless it affects the product's operation or is a nasty cosmetic blemish, it shouldn't be worried about. Before my iPhone 5 got replaced it had chipped paint on the bottom, but I never worried about it, except for when I first discovered it a few days after getting it.

Besides, your little damage you showed us is nothing noticeable. I had a bit of trouble seeing it in the picture.

22. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

23. unknownfps macrumors member

Return it if you're still thinking about it next time you wake up. If not, don't.

24. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'd return it. It could later cause major damage, which you will then regret.

25. Khabbi macrumors member

Yes, you are being Anal!

However, I don't believe there is anything wrong with being Anal... it's your money, you bought something brand new, if it bothers you, I'd get a new one that was perfect.

Otherwise you are going to see that blem every day for the rest of the life to the computer.